Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with communion cash windfalls

Options
  • 21-05-2016 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi - we've recently had the first of 3 communions we are going to have in our house over the next few years. We've been caught on the hop by the amount of cash friends and family have generously given to our 8 year old daughter - EUR400+

If she had her way she would have blown it all on an iPad/iphone/laptop by now but we don't want her owning her own devices yet. We'd like her to put most of it in the bank and maybe donate some but she should be able to get something for 50-100. But then that will cause ructions with the other 2.

What does everyone else agree with their kids to do with the money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Give a portion to charity of her choice maybe fifty euros

Buy something she wants

Save at least half.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Suggest she buys herself a toy or two that she really likes and a small present for each of her siblings. Then save the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,559 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

From my memory I put a bit in the Credit Union and bought a Game boy with the rest. Thinking back to my Communion day the kids who's parents made save it and give it to charity. Generally grew up to be tight individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

There are some people around these parts that still have their communion money.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I think a tenner to each of the siblings should cover her! Let her buy herself something nice and put the rest away for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

So put 250 in a savings account, 50 to charity and 100 for the child. If it was her birthday would her siblings have an issue with her getting gifts? Same thing applies for communion in my eyes, everyone will have their day

• Registered Users Posts: 23,777 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I think you have it fairly well sussed OP but eviltwin and iguana's suggestions are good, the idea of buying the two younger ones a present each out of the money will encourage her to share her good fortune, and if you think she's mature enough, maybe buy some clothes for herself and put the rest away for savings (school books and uniforms can be expensive... it's just a thought! :D).

From my memory I put a bit in the Credit Union and bought a Game boy with the rest. Thinking back to my Communion day the kids who's parents made save it and give it to charity. Generally grew up to be tight individuals.

Key word there fp :D

Exceptions to the rule and all that, but it's too late now for the OP to suggest that instead of giving their child money, they make a donation to charity instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

While sharing and buying presents for siblings is lovely, It's your daughter's money and the others will get their turn so they can't all be expected to buy for others every time they receive a gift. The others should learn that they wait for their turn.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Judge Trudy

tina1040 wrote: »
    While sharing and buying presents for siblings is lovely, It's your daughter's money and the others will get their turn so they can't all be expected to buy for others every time they receive a gift. The others should learn that they wait for their turn.

Exactly, what goes around will come back around when the others will have their day. It's so important to teach children to be kind and share. A small gift for the others is a lovely token of thoughtfulness and will be reciprocated in turn.

I know your an adult now OP but when you got married did ye make a donation to charity and give gifts to your siblings as well who weren't married?
    I'd in courage to put a bit of money in the Credit Union which can spend a bit of when she's on holidays or something!

Well I bought my brother's gifts with my communion and confirmation money and I grew up to give all my wedding money to charity. There is little in life nicer than giving and that's a great lesson to learn early in life.

(And my brothers also bought something for me and each other when they made theirs.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,559 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

iguana wrote: »
    Well I bought my brother's gifts with my communion and confirmation money and I grew up to give all my wedding money to charity. There is little in life nicer than giving and that's a great lesson to learn early in life.

(And my brothers also bought something for me and each other when they made theirs.)

I went to edit my post and I deleted by accident.
    Well done on doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Exactly, what goes around will come back around when the others will have their day. It's so important to teach children to be kind and share. A small gift for the others is a lovely token of thoughtfulness and will be reciprocated in turn.

I agree there are two sides to this.

I have 3 kids and I have taught them over the years that they can't all have something new every time one gets something. If I take one out to say buy some clothes and treat them to coffee shop or whatever, the others won't complain because they know it all balances out over time.
    As a poster mentioned, if one gets birthday presents, the others don't get presents too.

They all get on well and they share without being told it's expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I'm the youngest of five and got nothing from any of my older siblings out of their communion money. Is this actually a thing now?

OP, I'd give her 50-100 quid to spend how she likes and the rest goes in the bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I know some people who got the child to pay for a family meal, nothing extravagant just pub grub or something a week or so after the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

myshirt wrote:
    There are some people around these parts that still have their communion money.

+1
    Living off the interested 20-odd years on :p

I'm amazed though no one's remembering the good old post office savings account, not that swift bank or new post bank thing they tried but saving certs and prize bonds? That's where all mine was hidden (still shakes out the pillows & mattresses from time to time..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken

OP you don't really have a say in the matter as the money is not yours. It's your daughters money to do as she likes. If you want to donate your own money to charity do so but don't force other people to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,777 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

OP you don't really have a say in the matter as the money is not yours. It's your daughters money to do as she likes. If you want to donate your own money to charity do so but don't force other people to do it.

The OP is the child's parent, of course they have all the say!!

I'm not even sure why I'm taking that post seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭dollyk

depending on how much they have, it can be a meal, or a take away
    the next night that they pay for, then spend about a third on something they want. Then save and mine give something to charity , they collect it in the schools, and pull a charity out of a hat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

What would Jesus do?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

When my youngster made his first communion a few years ago he put 100 towards getting a trampoline, we paid for the remaining balance for the trampoline and he put the rest of his money in the bank. A few people asked him at the communion what was he going to save up for - he said a car!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Why make your kid give money to charity ? That's not fair, its her money.

When i made my Communion I bought my brothers a toy or something, but I was aloud spend it on whatever I wanted. Granted this was 12 years ago, so there were no iPads ect, but let her by a few toys, maybe clothes if needs be, and save the balance for when she might want something down the line.

You don't have to make a child give something to charity you can just tell them about something that needs money and ime, most kids like to donate. The same with buying something for siblings. Take about how happy little Tommy would be if he got that Paw Patrol bath toy he's been craving for months and how nice it would feel to get it for him now that you have the means. It mightn't be the first thing to occur to them, but most kids take pleasure in giving something to a sibling when they take the time to think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

When i made my Communion I bought my brothers a toy or something, but I was aloud spend it on whatever I wanted. Granted this was 12 years ago, so there were no iPads ect, but let her by a few toys, maybe clothes if needs be, and save the balance for when she might want something down the line.

I wouldn't make them but I would encourage it. It's just a gesture. When my daughter got a windfall we'd always buy a few bits of food for a local animal charity. It didn't cost much but she learnt an important lesson and felt good for it. I think every bit of money my kids get is a blessing and they should pay it forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Just give it all to the priest, now that your child is in a state of grace, they have no need for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭sapper

Thanks all just to follow up - the 3 kids plotted to get us to bring them to smyths where she spent 100 quid on herself on toys and a scooter and gave her siblings 10 each to spend. Everyone happy - except the charities as she wants to put all of the rest in the bank....

Advertisement