Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reconnecting electricity

Options
  • 21-05-2016 1:47pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭

There was a fire in my apartment block and the ESB was disconnected in the whole building, the owners insurance paid for generators in the meantime. Would the insurance cover the reconnection fee or am I responsible for it? Have been billed 300 for the 20 days that this bill covers including the fee so that would suck.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

There was a fire in my apartment block and the ESB was disconnected in the whole building, the owners insurance paid for generators in the meantime. Would the insurance cover the reconnection fee or am I responsible for it? Have been billed 300 for the 20 days that this bill covers including the fee so that would suck.

Any idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

call the insurance company or the agent in the building who deals with them. I would imagine it would.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Depends entirely on your policy.
    Our insurance company viewed the reconnection fees as individual fees for property owners- thus they were below the excess on individual claims. We were going to dispute it- however, our solicitor said the legal fees would be more than the cost of disputing it- and there was no guarantee we'd win in any event. We did get recompensed for the structural damage- and alternate accommodation costs- so we took it on the nose- unhappily........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

I'm not sure it's a reconnection fee that needs to be paid. I was under the impression it was a cert by an electrician that's needed to ensure everything is working ok and then they'll turn it back on.

Could be wrong, though!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

SB_Part2 wrote: »
    I'm not sure it's a reconnection fee that needs to be paid. I was under the impression it was a cert by an electrician that's needed to ensure everything is working ok and then they'll turn it back on.

If generators have been used and the individual units have been disconnected from the grid for a duration- it will need to be recertified and reconnected- we were also inspected by ESB Networks- wholly aside from the certification.

• Advertisement
Advertisement