Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRC Postgraduate funding 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FaulknersFav

I asked the research office in my college that today and they said no, that the irc doesn't release that info. So I too have no idea what to expect, other than the certainty I will be obsessed with it for the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Me - not sure what to expect.

I wonder are there stats available for how many declined awards in the past few years, or how many reserve list applications actually ended up getting funded.

I only know two people who were on the reserve list, one got it and one didn't. On the one hand, it's a small sample size, on the other, 50/50 chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 elbandita

My friend looked at his STEM application and saw "Application Unsuccessful"
    I presume that is their result - I can't imagine it would go to Conditional or Reserve after being labelled Unsuccessful.

Point is - some STEM people have results now, it seems.

Thanks for letting us know. I wonder what the point of announcing some results yesterday was only to announce more on Friday. I wonder if people who got Application Successful on Tuesday will get updated to Application Unsuccessful on Friday...

I hate to think I could get past yesterday, possibly get past Friday and yet still not get funded ultimately. So cruel to prolong it all like this. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 anonomousangel

elbandita wrote: »
    Thanks for letting us know. I wonder what the point of announcing some results yesterday was only to announce more on Friday. I wonder if people who got Application Successful on Tuesday will get updated to Application Unsuccessful on Friday...

You have to figure some people will get unsuccessful on Friday or why would they bother have the additional update. Seems strange that they knew for some people yesterday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 aricyee

gcalvert91 wrote: »
    I got a conditional award. Really feeling a sense of survivor's guilt as this thread really began to feel like a little family. So sorry to hear that some of you guys didn't get it. I have no words.
    My friend looked at his STEM application and saw "Application Unsuccessful"
    I presume that is their result - I can't imagine it would go to Conditional or Reserve after being labelled Unsuccessful.

Point is - some STEM people have results now, it seems.

I am an international applicant, and after yesterday it is no longer relevant to me. BUT, I have to say, it is really super confusing system of IRC!!!

Good luck to everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 austen_morgan

Is there anyone else here who has been put down as a reserve for the AHSS this year?

Yes I am reserve as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭gcalvert91

^Just to clarify, I was in the AHSS stream. The outcome of the AHSS panel was announced yesterday. No applicants in the AHSS stream were informed of whether they had passed Stages 1 or 2. We were only told if we had been awarded the scholarship, placed on the reserve list, or were unsuccessful. If it interests anybody, the email I received from the IRC stated that 515 applications were received and 100 awards were made.

For those of you in the STEM stream, if your application status is listed as unsuccessful, this means that you didn't pass Stage 1. For those of you whose status is listed as 'under assessment', this means that you passed Stage 1. You'll find out in the week beginning 18th July whether you passed Stage 2, at which point your status will update to conditional award, reserve, or unsuccessful.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Lowerthansho

Those in STEM stream who have 'Under Assessment' still on their application doesn't mean we've passed stage 1. We find out on Friday (July 1st) 4-5pm whether we've made it to stage 2 with final outcome announced the week of July 18th.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭gcalvert91

Oh! Just read that they changed the dates! Stage 1 STEM outcome was originally due on the 28th June. Interesting! Perhaps STEM applicants whose status updated to unsuccessful were deemed ineligible?

Also, I said this much earlier in the thread, but check whether the primary area of your project is regarded as being in the AHSS or STEM streams. My area is neuroscience, which I thought would be STEM, but it turns out my primary area is actually a part of the AHSS stream!

More updates!!

''2016 Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scheme - Please be advised that access to
    specific areas of the online system is currently restricted on a temporary basis while the system is being updated. Full access will be restored once the update is complete.''

• Advertisement

Hopefully tomorrow the update will be out earlier in the day than Tuesday's was

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Vivek 1

The best of luck today STEM people.

Thanks!

I was unsuccessful last year so not getting my hopes up this year. The wait is a killer! Best of luck everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11 Omily

Best of luck everyone.
    Also the IRC announced that the next call for PhD funding under the IRC scheme will open three months earlier than usual!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

System is back up, I'm still "Under Assessment" so 3 more weeks of waiting :p

me too!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

My application still says under assessment too.

Are we sure that this means that we are through to the second round? I don't want to get my hopes up yet.

Same, and the modified date is the 29/6

We'll see when the email comes through from them, but they were meant to release it this hour and I doubt they'd push it back live unless it was ready.

Speak of the devil

• Advertisement

Omily wrote: »
    Speak of the devil

Did you get one? I have nothing yet

Yes, just got an email now

• Registered Users Posts: 30 meabhl

aw lads, I haven't got an email yet and I am too nervous to check it ...

meabhl wrote: »
    aw lads, I haven't got an email yet and I am too nervous to check it ...

The email just tells you to check the system

I got the email, mine's still Under Assessment too and my last modified date has changed to the 29th at 5pm.

Well guys, at least we can say this is nearly over.

For any poor sods next year looking back on this thread (could potentially include myself in that category) this is what the email says

The Council has completed the second of two updates this week on the status of applications to the Government of Ireland Postgraduate Scheme STEM panel (including Biological Sciences A & B; Chemistry; Computer Science; Earth and Environmental Sciences; Engineering; Mathematics; Physics) in the online application system.

Please check the status of your application on the online system to determine the current status of your application. Your application will show a status of either 'under assessment' or 'application unsuccessful':

'Under Assessment' - your application has progressed to the second stage inner board assessment. A final outcome for the inner panel will be made known to applicants in the week commencing 18th July 2016.

'Application unsuccessful' - your application has not been recommended for funding on this occasion and will not progress to the second stage of assessment. The Council acknowledge that this outcome will be a disappointment given the substantial work involved in the preparation of the proposal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AstroArcturus

Awwwww balls. Unsuccessful! And I find this out on my birthday - brilliant. All the stress for nothing! Sad now. Congrats everyone who is still under assessment, best of luck to ye and I hope the next few weeks waiting aren't too stressful!

:( sorry to hear that, Astro. Hope you at least had a nice birthday up until you found out, now you've an excuse for double cake and drink indulgence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16 anonomousangel

I'm falling into the bad cycle of looking at the modified date. (In my defence I needed to look at the application to remind myself of the title). Especially useless behavior since we have no idea if it actually means anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

I'm falling into the bad cycle of looking at the modified date. (In my defence I needed to look at the application to remind myself of the title). Especially useless behavior since we have no idea if it actually means anything.

This just prompted me to check my own. Last updated at midday yesterday.

Advertisement