Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRC Postgraduate funding 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mfaisca

IRC is driving me crazy with this never ending selection! Plus I'm still in college, I have a huge pressure to keep my grades over 8.5 out of 10 and I'm non-EU. I would love to know the definition of an exceptional candidate that they talk about the non-EU candidates

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭gcalvert91

Strangely had two updates in a day! At 17.00 and 21.45.

^_^

I'm starting to think that it changes when they add our grades and when our classification changes

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Cassie92

Wow, I am the upper 1500s and I just got modified today...will someone from the IRC just log on and explain it all, please!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

My application is in the 600's and was modified last night at ~03h00. I know that I'm reading too much into it, but that modification time indicates to me that either someone abroad in America/Asia looked at the application, or that someone in Ireland/EU has a deadline to meet.

Irregardless, I would assume that all this activity indicates that we should hear something soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 Vin8

I was modified again today at 1700. Surely by this time next week it'll be all over, for better or worse. Good luck to us all!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 elbandita

Still no change for me! I feel like I've come to terms with not getting it this year, I'm enjoying the funny image of us all checking obsessively multiple times a day. Thanks IRC for the soul-destroying emotional rollercoaster.
    Vin8 wrote: »
    Surely by this time next week it'll be all over, for better or worse. Good luck to us all!

Surely!! Fingers crossed very hard.

My smartsimple is not working

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11 Omily

My smartsimple isn't working either. Maybe too much traffic crashed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Mine says last modified May 11th but Im Arts so Im not sure if that is relevant to other people here, or if it makes any difference at all.

• Advertisement

That's the thing, who even knows what the changing modified date means. I have a feeling though that it's to do with the outer and inner international assessment boards. This is from the applicant handbook:

5. EVALUATION PROCEDURES
    Assessment Process

Applications are first reviewed for eligibility and adherence to the Terms and Conditions.
    Applications are then sent for remote evaluation to an Outer International Assessment
    Board (IAB). Each application is assessed by at least two independent, international
    reviewers who review the application on the basis of the materials supplied. Each
    assessor submits their quantitative evaluation and the applications are ranked within
    each of the funding streams.

The top ranked applications (e.g. top 40%) are then referred on to an Inner International
    Assessment Board (IAB) where the applications are assessed by another two remote
    independent, international reviewers before they are discussed at an IAB meeting
    relevant to the particular funding stream. The primary responsibility of each IAB is to
    determine a quantitative ranking of the applications referred to it and arrive at an overall
    judgement of standard and make final recommendations to Council.

I'd say the Outer IAB was around April and I'm seeing no more activity on mine because mine wasn't in the top 40% and wasn't referred to an Inner IAB.

elbandita wrote: »
    That's the thing, who even knows what the changing modified date means. I have a feeling though that it's to do with the outer and inner international assessment boards. This is from the applicant handbook:

5. EVALUATION PROCEDURES
    Assessment Process

Applications are first reviewed for eligibility and adherence to the Terms and Conditions.
    Applications are then sent for remote evaluation to an Outer International Assessment
    Board (IAB). Each application is assessed by at least two independent, international
    reviewers who review the application on the basis of the materials supplied. Each
    assessor submits their quantitative evaluation and the applications are ranked within
    each of the funding streams.

The top ranked applications (e.g. top 40%) are then referred on to an Inner International
    Assessment Board (IAB) where the applications are assessed by another two remote
    independent, international reviewers before they are discussed at an IAB meeting
    relevant to the particular funding stream. The primary responsibility of each IAB is to
    determine a quantitative ranking of the applications referred to it and arrive at an overall
    judgement of standard and make final recommendations to Council.

I'd say the Outer IAB was around April and I'm seeing no more activity on mine because mine wasn't in the top 40% and wasn't referred to an Inner IAB.
    I agree with you. Mine is the same, nothing changed since 28th April

I had another update tonight guys. Two updates in two days. I would hazard a guess that something must be going on.

edit 6/6/16:

Three in four days.

gcalvert91 wrote: »
    I had another update tonight guys. Two updates in two days. I would hazard a guess that something must be going on.

edit 6/6/16:

Three in four days.

Was the last one today?

Mfaisca wrote: »

edit 6/6/16:

Three in four days.

Was the last one today?

Hey. Yes, the latest one was today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Vin8

I had another one today as well gcalvert91. I think elbandita was probably right about whats happening.

Yep, mine was modified last night at 23.55. It will be interesting to see if we get an email shortly to say who is through the first round or if they have decided to change the process and just give final results in a few weeks. I would still prefer a first round email as if I haven't made it through I would rather know now. I have a 'plan b' application in and I just hope I know where I stand with the IRC before any interviews begin for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭MFPM

It's all very frustrating, it's taken far longer than last year to get the first round results. Perhaps they have changed the process but I assume that would have been communicated during the application phase to institutions.

Yes. The wait can be a little frustrating. Last year's applicants were notified if they had progressed to Stage 2 as early as mid-May. The final decisions will be made by the end of the month, so I would be surprised if they notified applicants about Stage 2 progression at all.

I'd love to send them an email about it but for the irrational fear that doing so would result in my application being printed out, removed from the online portal, and set on fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Good_Coffee

I'm in the 500's application wise - but my application hasn't been reviewed since 1st May..... I reckon it will be a while until they are finished reviewing all of them

• Advertisement

I'm in the 500's application wise - but my application hasn't been reviewed since 1st May..... I reckon it will be a while until they are finished reviewing all of them

I am in the late 1500s, it does not seem like the applications are being looked at in numerical order.

Cassie92 wrote: »
    Yep, mine was modified last night at 23.55. It will be interesting to see if we get an email shortly to say who is through the first round or if they have decided to change the process and just give final results in a few weeks. I would still prefer a first round email as if I haven't made it through I would rather know now. I have a 'plan b' application in and I just hope I know where I stand with the IRC before any interviews begin for that.

Hey Cassie,

What do you mean by a 'plan B' application? Have you applied for funding from elsewhere or a taught course?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 GraceFace12

Mine is in the 100's and hasn't been looked at since May 12th. I've just become totally disheartened by all of your predictions regarding dates and application success!! I'd definitely be out :( I would guess you are right - it'll be interesting to see.

Mine is in the 100's and hasn't been looked at since May 12th. I've just become totally disheartened by all of your predictions regarding dates and application success!! I'd definitely be out :( I would guess you are right - it'll be interesting to see.

GraceFace, this is all just speculation, no one has a clue really. I think we are all disheartened by the long wait and information vacuum. I would guess that we all feel equally unsure.

Hey Cassie,

What do you mean by a 'plan B' application? Have you applied for funding from elsewhere or a taught course?

I applied for a funded PhD in another university as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AstroArcturus

The wait for any word on this is killing me! I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one obsessively checking my application! Im in the 1100s, STEM stream, and was last modified on 5th of May. Don't know if thats good, bad or irrelevant. Fingers crossed we will hear soon, I'll be checking this thread obsessively now too, to see if anyone else hears!

GraceFace, this is all just speculation, no one has a clue really. I think we are all disheartened by the long wait and information vacuum. I would guess that we all feel equally unsure.

Yeah all our talk about last modified date and none of us really have any clue at all, pure speculation because we're just desperately looking for anything to read into.

So I was speaking to someone today whose friend applied for what he thinks was IRC and heard back in May that he didn't get it. But I would be doubtful that it was IRC... Any thoughts? Surely we all would have heard if they had already told some people they were out.

We'll all end up with nervous gastritis

Yeah all our talk about last modified date and none of us really have any clue at all, pure speculation because we're just desperately looking for anything to read into.

So I was speaking to someone today whose friend applied for what he thinks was IRC and heard back in May that he didn't get it. But I would be doubtful that it was IRC... Any thoughts? Surely we all would have heard if they had already told some people they were out.

Would you not ask your friend to ask this person if it was IRC???

• Advertisement

I think the IRC postdoctoral results were out in May, it might have been that? Their call was a bit ahead of ours.

Advertisement