Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRC Postgraduate funding 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Phoenix

At our institution we were told that the national average of successful applications is roughly 18%. Apparently, this can vary from year to year, depending on the amount of funding available to the IRC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Phoenix wrote: »
    At our institution we were told that the national average of successful applications is roughly 18%. Apparently, this can vary from year to year, depending on the amount of funding available to the IRC.

With less applications this year and there (supposedly) being more money being pumped into funding by the government, the success rate will hopefully increase this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Vivek 1

Strangely my ID No, way above 515, and I applied the day before deadline ??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭kronnn

Vivek 1 wrote: »
    Strangely my ID No, way above 515, and I applied the day before deadline ??????

The ID number is given when the application is started, not finished. So there are bound to be people with much higher numbers than the number who actually applied because of people opening applications but not finishing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I think how many scholarships are given out will also depend on how much they the each person - for instance I will.only be eligible for one year of funding as opposed to someone who may be in their first year who will be eiligible for 2 or 3 or even 4 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭kronnn

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    I think how many scholarships are given out will also depend on how much they the each person - for instance I will.only be eligible for one year of funding as opposed to someone who may be in their first year who will be eiligible for 2 or 3 or even 4 years.

And how how much they pay themselves in bonuses as a pat on the back for getting the applications all graded and the results out sometime before the scholarships are supposed to start. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭gcalvert91

Sarahjma wrote: »
    There is a times article from november 2015 which says in the 2015 scheme there was 16.2m awarded to 213 applicants out of over 1200 applications. This may mean the thresholds will be a little lower. Its hard to know.

Boards. ie wont allow me post an article link as I'm a newish user but the article title is

Irish Research Council awards 16.2m to postgraduates

That sounds about right. In 2014, 219 out of 1051 applications were funded with a total value of 16.8M EUR. This year there are 1071 applications and I would imagine that the number of successful applications will remain around the same (~220).

kronnn wrote: »
    The ID number is given when the application is started, not finished. So there are bound to be people with much higher numbers than the number who actually applied because of people opening applications but not finishing them.

Thanks Kronnn, now I know why you deserve funding not me ! Can't even work out the ID numbers !!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Vin8

Are we there yet ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

The waiting is torture :(

2 more days (for some of us at least!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Sarahjma

I know. Its torture. And I am presuming i havent gotten based on the last modified being early may. And still. I need to know............

Do we get an email to inform us of the decision? An email instructing us to check the status of our application? Or shall I just continue doing what I've been doing all along and check my application status pretty much every hour of the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Cassie92

gcalvert91 wrote: »
    Do we get an email to inform us of the decision? An email instructing us to check the status of our application? Or shall I just continue doing what I've been doing all along and check my application status pretty much every hour of the day?

I think we just get an email telling us to check the status of our application, so cue checking applications from 12.01 am on the 28th!

I think the 28th for AHSS and July at some point for stem. I cant stop checking either, and i know its not going to change

As John Cleese says: It's not the despair - I can take the despair - it's the hope!

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AstroArcturus

Hey guys. So I was trying to do my usual check of application status there, and when I go to smart-simple, the link to check app status is gone! As in I can't view my application at all! Anyone else having this issue?

Same here!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Vin8

Me three. The submitted application button is just gone, so I can't click that and see the screen that's been telling me Ready for Review forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AstroArcturus

Weird! I wonder what the story is? I just want the waiting to be over!!!!

Yes, submitted applications has evaporated. I guess we're going to have to wait for the old-fashioned letter then. I just hope the postman doesn't do the usual trick of deleivering it next door.

• Advertisement

Unless they will upload a bulk results file and we will get a Closed competitions button?

Do you think as they are working on a Sunday, they might let us know tomorrow?

No idea! Hopefully though

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Deeluu

We should be informed via email if it's anything like last year.

You'll get an email inviting you to check the status of your application.

Contracts for successful candidates and feedback for unsuccessful candidates get sent through the post in a few weeks.

This is all based off what happened last year (which was much more organised and transparent)!

Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

There's an information message on the login now saying it's under maintenance until 11:45pm tonight and sone views may not be available. So it'll go back live sometime after that, hopefully with some news :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 elbandita

Best of luck, everyone. The wait has been significantly easier knowing this past month that I wasn't the only one freaking out! Very jealous of all you AHSS streamers right now and I look forward to another three weeks of terror with my fellow STEMs

elbandita wrote: »
    Best of luck, everyone. The wait has been significantly easier knowing this past month that I wasn't the only one freaking out! Very jealous of all you AHSS streamers right now and I look forward to another three weeks of terror with my fellow STEMs

With you there, internal funding scheme @ Maynooth is also likely this week though, so at least I get some idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 30 meabhl

brainiac wrote: »
    With you there, internal funding scheme @ Maynooth is also likely this week though, so at least I get some idea!

Ah a fellow maynoothian :P Stem? I'm a bit confused now.. we find out the story from postman or online?

Good luck everyone

meabhl wrote: »
    Ah a fellow maynoothian :P Stem? I'm a bit confused now.. we find out the story from postman or online?

Good luck everyone

Stem yeah, CS. They will likely be doing a batch update online atm in preparation to hit a button tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 meabhl

brainiac wrote: »
    Stem yeah, CS. They will likely be doing a batch update online atm in preparation to hit a button tomorrow :)

Ah I am Eng ! What's the difference between first and final stage? Do we not find out tomorrow too??? What do we even find out tomorrow ?

Advertisement