Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRC Postgraduate funding 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Phoenix

I got a conditional award too. I feel so bad for you guys who worked so hard and probably put in great applications, but weren't as lucky as me. I feel I was lucky because my work is in a sort of newish field IRC-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Vivek 1

Phoenix wrote: »
    I got a conditional award too. I feel so bad for you guys who worked so hard and probably put in great applications, but weren't as lucky as me. I feel I was lucky because my work is in a sort of newish field IRC-wise.

Well done to you, enjoy the moment !

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AstroArcturus

Just got an email from them. So, for us STEM people, we will either have "Under Assessment" or "unsuccessful" as our status. If it is still under assessment, we'll find out by Fri 1st July whether we've progressed to stage 2. Nerve wracking!

Edit, actually its not clear from the email whether we get final result on Friday, or if we just get phase progression status. I guess we have to wait and see!

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Deeluu

Congratulations to all who got accepted.

To those who haven't, it isn't the end of the world, and you shouldn't allow it to put paid to your postgraduate research. I've done a great year without an IRC (and plan to do three more now as well) - other opportunities, and even other funding will come your way. Those of you in NUI's will probably also have applied for their 'in house' scholarships, so best of luck with that!

To all the STEM applicants, hang in there, I don't envy your wait, but hopefully it will be worth it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 meabhl

Nope, I just checked mine, and status is "Under Assessment" too. Aaarrrgh, this is literally driving me mad! I'm just dying to have some news, even if it is just for phase 1!!!

I'm stem and under assessment too !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Lowerthansho

I'm stem and under assessment too!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 elbandita

I'm STEM and Under Assessment too.

Phoenix and gcalvert, were you guys AHSS? Major congrats!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

I'm under assessment also. I would assume that all eligible STEM applications are marked as under assessment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 GraceFace12

Congrats to all of you who got awards - I am so happy for you, I really am! I've been following the thread closely over the past month and it was comforting to go through the wait with the knowledge that you're not the only anxious applicant!

I didn't get the award either - but hey, we tried! Best of luck to all of you in your future endeavours - this is a minor setback, if even one at all. And to those of you still awaiting results - the very best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

Didn't get it unfortunately. Anyone know if you can see a breakdown of the marks?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11 Omily

I'm stem and under assessment too.

Didn't get it unfortunately. Anyone know if you can see a breakdown of the marks?

In a few weeks they'll send a letter in the post with what scores you got!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Cassie92

I didn't get it either, ouch!

In a few weeks they'll send a letter in the post with what scores you got!

Adding to above, last year they released scores for the following

Quality of the research project (40 marks)
    Training and career development aspects (10 marks)
    Capability of the applicant (30 marks)
    Suitability of host organisation (20 marks)
    Total Score (100 marks)

I'm upset for you guys who didn't get it, it hits close to home because we've spent so much of the last month agonising over the cruel wait together. I hope it all works out for the best eventually for everyone and this has just been a ridiculous headache! :(:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FaulknersFav

I too have been closely following this thread! Thanks for all the info and solace. I have been put on the reserve list....which means I am still climbing the walls with stress and will continue to be!!

Well done to all those who got it and hard luck to those that didn't, what a woeful experience they made it for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,901 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Congratulations to everyone who got it, and commiserations to everyone who didn't. I did my PhD five years back, and was rejected for this twice, then rejected once for the postdoc before I finally got the postdoc on attempt four. Those rejections can be very disheartening, don't ever lose faith in the value of what you're doing over it though, you'll get where you're going another way. Speaking from experience here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 LordVader

Congratulations to those who received the award and commiserations to those who didn't.

Anyone here in STEM had their application labelled 'unsuccessful' yet? I'm not sure how to reconcile the conflicting messages today. If the first round cutoff update is on Friday, what was the purpose of the update today? My application is still 'under assessment' as many of the rest of yours seem to be.

So judging from the post history in this thread all the unsuccessful were AHSS. All STEM are probably feckin Under Assessment, what a load of sack.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 LordVader

elbandita wrote: »
    So judging from the post history in this thread all the unsuccessful were AHSS. All STEM are probably feckin Under Assessment, what a load of sack.

I'm not sure this is the case though because it seems that the email that the IRC sent out was specifically for STEM applicants.

Elbandita, has your 'last modified' date been updated?

• Advertisement

LordVader wrote: »
    I'm not sure this is the case though because it seems that the email that the IRC sent out was specifically for STEM applicants.

Elbandita, has your 'last modified' date been updated?

Pity the email makes nothing clear. Yeah it has, last modified today at 11.08. You?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭kronnn

So now their website is saying this:
    By the end of this week (Friday, 1 July), all STEM applicants will be informed of whether or not their application has been selected for the next round of assessment, Round 2.
    The Round 2 (final) outcome for STEM applications will be communicated to applicants week commencing 18 July 2016.

So the update today I'm fairly sure was pointless for STEM people and was probably just because they said they would give an update today......... Unless some STEM people got Application unsuccessful?

kronnn wrote: »
    So now their website is saying this:

So the update today I'm fairly sure was pointless for STEM people and was probably just because they said they would give an update today......... Unless some STEM people got Application unsuccessful?

Probably one lazy reader who didn't get their **** together on time so they're stalling. What goes on in that place you wouldn't believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Deeluu

Just to clarify for all you STEM folks, I was AHSS and was unsuccessful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Didn't get it either.

Feels **** causethe two other people in my area gor it on hair first tries while I didn't get it on my second :(

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Didn't get it either.

Feels **** causethe two other people in my area gor it on hair first tries while I didn't get it on my second :(

Don't let it get to you, I think the worst of it, even worse than the money itself, is the feeling of inferiority, the two tier system it creates. I struggled with it for years, but while not all applications are good enough to get it and all that do are excellent, plenty of great research gets overlooked for reasons that have little to do with the actual quality. I know it's demoralising, and it's easy to say don't worry, but you have to shrug it off and let your research speak for itself in the next couple of years. I did, plenty of people who got the funding when I didn't have since moved out of academia. It's just a nice thing to have, it isn't the final arbitration on the value of your work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Vivek 1

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Didn't get it either.

I didn't get it either and very disappointed, I reckon I am a little older than most of you, as I returned to efucation, so without sounding patronising Censor**** "what is meant for you won't pass you".... The sense of rejection, and is me or my work not good enough is rotten? However, it is also very humbling and builds resilience and empathy which are wonderful attributes to develop and you become a stronger and better human being. hope you feel a little better soon, then shoulders back and onwards and upwards. Carpe Diem!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AlwaysRight

My friend looked at his STEM application and saw "Application Unsuccessful"
    I presume that is their result - I can't imagine it would go to Conditional or Reserve after being labelled Unsuccessful.

Point is - some STEM people have results now, it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭FaulknersFav

Is there anyone else here who has been put down as a reserve for the AHSS this year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭AlwaysRight

Is there anyone else here who has been put down as a reserve for the AHSS this year?

Me - not sure what to expect.

I wonder are there stats available for how many declined awards in the past few years, or how many reserve list applications actually ended up getting funded.

Advertisement