Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Pre-Ground Beans

• 21-05-2016 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I don't have the budget at the moment to get a good grinder and espresso machine so I'm thinking of just buying an aeropress and ground beans.

I'm wondering if there are any decent pre-ground beans or if they are all subpar. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Fakman87 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I don't have the budget at the moment to get a good grinder and espresso machine so I'm thinking of just buying an aeropress and ground beans.

I'm wondering if there are any decent pre-ground beans or if they are all subpar. Thanks.

Not necessarily sub par (although most bagged stuff in a supermarket is poor) for example you could go to a decent coffee shop like 3fe and ask them to grind you up a bag there and then.

The issue is freshness. Ideally you grind and brew as you go.

Have you looked at the Hario hand grinders. They're about 30 or 40 quid from memory. Bit of work but definately a worthwhile investment along with your aeropress.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 upsideireland

If you're in Dublin, Roasted Brown, Science Gallery or 3fe will be able to sort you out. They can also to give you a brew recipe that works for that grind setting too. Coffee flavour dulls quite quickly when ground, but at least you can buy a small amount, ground on the day, instead of buying beans that have been ground and sitting on the shelf for weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Supervalu in Swords have a self sevice instore grinder. Not quite grind as you go, more grind as you buy.
    As well as some of the big brand beans they also have beans from Coffee House Lane ( the guys in Waterford )
    Of course it depends what you like :)

( I dont know if any of the other large Supervalu stores do this. )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

You can grab a grinder as cheap as €25 for a basic blade grinder or a Hario Mini Mill - it will stand to you in the long run and be cheaper than pre-ground packs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Here's a little back and forth I had with Gran Hermano (RIP) 7 years ago.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59533522

davej

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Thanks lads. One other question. If I buy whole beans instead of pre ground, do the whole beans have to be kept in an airtight jar or is it only ground coffee that needs to be stored in airtight jars?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 upsideireland

The coffee bags have a one way valve that lets out CO2 and stops air getting in. I usually just keep the beans in the bag- roll down the top and hold it shut with a peg or butterfly clip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

The coffee bags have a one way valve that lets out CO2 and stops air getting in. I usually just keep the beans in the bag- roll down the top and hold it shut with a peg or butterfly clip.

God knows when the roast date was though on most pre packed beans in a supermarket. Could and probably have been sitting on the shelf months.

Bottom line is freshness is incredibly key to a good shot of espresso or nice long aeropress.

Buy your beans from a company who'll roast to order and use within 4-6 weeks.
    The beans reach their best a few weeks after roasting and then like any food will deteriorate over time.

Grinding yourself is definately the way to go as again it's keeping the freshness to the max. Preground isn't a disaster but it's definately not the way to go if at all possible and with so many great coffee sources online or shops these days there really is absolutely no excuse.

Coffee Angel and 3FE both sell beans and grinders etc in store in Dublin.

I use coffeemojo for online purchases and one or two others I can't think of off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Has anyone used baobab.ie recently? I see they do a taster set 3x100g for €14.

Just to update.. I got the taster packs for boabab.
    3 x 100 gr of Tanzanian, Rwanda and Colombian.
    All roasted on 18 may. I ordered Tuesday and received today by fasttrack.
    I'll report back on what they're like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Spocker

Just to update.. I got the taster packs for boabab.
    3 x 100 gr of Tanzanian, Rwanda and Colombian.
    All roasted on 18 may. I ordered Tuesday and received today by fasttrack.
    I'll report back on what they're like.

So what were they like? Worth it?

Spocker wrote: »
    So what were they like? Worth it?

I wasn't impressed.
    Followed up with Nicaraguan and Ethiopian from ponaire.
    Nicaraguan was nice. Ethiopian I'll finish off if someone can bribe me to drink it.

I'll try bailie's next.

Advertisement