Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aerial Direction for Saorview

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,708 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

fuse wrote: »
    I bypassed this with the power supply. Should I continue to use it?

I would say there isn't much point feeding power to the aerial if the masthead amp is faulty or not there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

I had a male/female coax plug so I cut the male end off and put an F connector on it.
    I used the female end to connect the thicker masthead cable into.

The braid of the heavy cable doesn't seem to be in contact with the outer part of the plug you've stuck it into? That won't do ... and obviously the same goes for any f-connectors you fit.

... the red splitter box is an Inductive Combiner Splitter
    I bypassed this with the power supply. Should I continue to use it?

There's no need to use it if you have the 2-output PSU. I only suggested it as a way of connecting everything up, in the absence of the necessary f-connector. (And I should have thought of the heavier inner wire probably not fitting the female f-connector on the PSU.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭fuse

Thurston? wrote: »
    The braid of the heavy cable doesn't seem to be in contact with the outer part of the plug you've stuck it into? That won't do ... and obviously the same goes for any f-connectors you fit.

Ahh, I didn't realise that was important. The normal F connectors I connected are in contact with the braid on the other cables, so it's just this one that isn't, because of my hacky way of doing it.

I'll have to try it again this evening so. I wonder how likely it is to make a big difference? When I connected it as in the picture, saorview instantly worked.
    Unless the lack of braid contact affected the power flow?

... Unless the lack of braid contact affected the power flow?

Yes, & the signal too, but it would seem you're in a strong signal area for Saorview.

Yes, & the signal too, but it would seem you're in a strong signal area for Saorview.

Holy crap, it worked! ...kind of!

I can now see a selection of freeview channels.
    UTV, C4/5, ITV2, More 4, Film 4, E4
    Unfortunately no BBCs though...

Getting pretty decent reception. Breaks up a little bit now and again, but that's probably because of my makeshift cabling. I can now get proper cables & connectors.

It was obviously the lack of contact with the braid. Fair play for spotting that Thurston you legend!

Delighted I finally managed to get it going, just as I was about to throw in the towel!
    Would love to get the BBCs working as they're mainly what I want. Any idea why I'm only seeing some of the channels? If I manage to improve the connections that might do it?

Special thanks to Thurston and The Cush for your patience and helpfulness :D

Glad to hear you got it almost sorted, any luck on identifying the cable?

What is the external diameter of the cable, these are 10mm F connectors - http://www.freetv.ie/ct165-f-connectors.html

The Cush wrote: »
    Glad to hear you got it almost sorted, any luck on identifying the cable?

What is the external diameter of the cable, these are 10mm F connectors - http://www.freetv.ie/ct165-f-connectors.html

Cheers

No markings on the thick cable and I don't have a calipers but I make it out to be ~10mm possibly 9.

So if I get that larger F connector you linked to, will I still have the problem that the thicker core won't fit into the IN of my power supply?
    Or is there another adapter for that?

Just noticing from this list: http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/freeviewchannels.html

I'm only receiving Mux: PSB2 channels

Whatever that means!

So if I get that larger F connector ... will I still have the problem that the thicker core won't fit into the IN of my power supply?

The connector should come with a reducer for the centre core: just a pin that fits on the end of the wire, & in turn will fit into a female f-connector.

• Advertisement

So if I get that larger F connector you linked to, will I still have the problem that the thicker core won't fit into the IN of my power supply?
    Or is there another adapter for that?

Look at the video on that page I linked to for the connector, it'll show you how to make the connector. Ensure the core wire and braid/connector body don't make contact, but the braid must make contact with the outer threaded portion/body of the connector.

You'll see there is a plastic collar and central contact pin or reducer as they call it in the video, which would work in your situation. But the text on the page says the plastic collar isn't available but not sure about the contact pin/reducer if its also missing. The plastic collar is used to hold the central pin in place. Perhaps you could give them a call.

The connector should come with a reducer for the centre core: just a pin that fits on the end of the wire, & in turn will fit into a female f-connector.

That's perfect so.
    After a bit of playing around and a retune I managed to get more channels including the BBC ones. Although the quality is not good, they break up constantly.
    Will have to improve the connector on the main cable and hope for the best...

Look at the video on that page I linked to for the connector, it'll show you how to make the connector. Ensure the core wire and braid don't make contact, but the braid must make contact with the outer threaded portion of the connector.

You'll see there is a plastic collar and central contact pin or reducer as they call it in the video, which would work in your situation. But the text on the page says the plastic collar isn't available but not sure about the contact pin/reducer is also missing. The plastic collar is used to hold the central pin in place. Perhaps you could give them a call.

Looks like there is a standard F connection on the other end as he connects it to an F connector joiner. Might get in touch just to be sure alright

Looks like there is a standard F connection on the other end as he connects it to an F connector joiner. Might get in touch just to be sure alright

It is a standard F connection but for a heavy duty 10mm co ax cable, the question is the reducer pin and plastic retainer included with the connector for you to use with the power supply. It may be possible for the core wire to go into the power supply without the reducer using a little bit of gentle persuasion.

This connector is for 10mm RG11 co ax cable, same external diameter as CT165 cable but is a crimp version with pin and plastic insert. Assembly drawing link to the right of the page

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/f-connectors/7123380/

This connector is for 10mm RG11 co ax cable, same external diameter as CT165 cable but is a crimp version with pin and plastic insert. Assembly drawing link to the right of the page

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/f-connectors/7123380/

Thanks I see what you mean by the reducer pin. I'll check with freetv first, as I don't have a crimping tool.

• Advertisement

Looks like there is a standard F connection on the other end as he connects it to an F connector joiner.

Even if it doesn't come with the pin, the little jaws inside the female f should accept the heavier wire, it's just that they won't return to their original width once they're forced far enough apart, so the PSU probably won't work again with thinner wire.

If you wanted to avoid this, you could always use an f-joiner, & connect the heavy cable to a short length of something lighter.

Just to update and conclude my troubleshooting..

I got the CT165 adapter with step-down pin for the main cable coming from the masthead and it fit really well into the power adapter. Also got a new male-male coax for the wall to tv connection as I was using female-male adapter that was a bit loose.

Now all the Freeview channels are almost perfect quality, the odd flicker now and again. Saorview are crystal clear.
    Delighted to be able to get 20+ decent channels and radio aswell. Well worth spending the few bob on power supply to give me bill free viewing from now on!

Thanks again for all the detailed help and advice Cush & Thurston. Also FreeTV.ie guys were really helpful and my orders arrived next day.

I'm reviving this thread I started as I'm back trying to figure things out...

I can no longer receive the freeview stations and not sure why.

I took a better picture of the aerial and can see there is 1 single cable running from it down to the attic. I still can't see if there is working power on the masthead.
    Aerials are pointing Due North in Dun Laoghaire area

myNjUbv.jpg
    RiWdaZr.jpg

The single cable was originally running into a diplexer or splitter. From what I could see, it was just splitting the signal coming from the masthead to two cables running to separate TV points.

I removed it from this splitter and ran it into a proception 12v power supply and a cable for the output to TV.
    wSdI4WW.jpg

I now have an Edision DVB-T2 box and can see an almost 100% strength signal coming from Clermont Carn (52 56) which is the strongest signal and gives clear Saorview channels - this is only when it runs through the 12v power, otherwise Three Rock is stronger.

I expect to be able to pick up freeview from Divis or Limavady? But not receiving anything at those Muxes. The box is searching DVB-T and DVB-T2.

I'm confused why a diplexer was there in the first place... this is usually to split UHF and VHF signals? Is it necessary here?
    Hoping to get some professional advice to look at it if I can't figure it out. Would appreciate any recommendations via PM if that's allowed...

... The single cable was originally running into a diplexer or splitter. From what I could see, it was just splitting the signal coming from the masthead to two cables running to separate TV points.

I removed it from this splitter and ran it into a proception 12v power supply and a cable for the output to TV.

I expect to be able to pick up freeview from Divis or Limavady? But not receiving anything at those Muxes. The box is searching DVB-T and DVB-T2.

I'm confused why a diplexer was there in the first place... this is usually to split UHF and VHF signals? Is it necessary here?

Was that the red box pictured in an earlier post? Wasn't it just an ordinary splitter? (No reason for it to be anything else.)

Those aerials are set up to receive Freeview from Kilkeel. (2 x group B at the top of the mast, & then the single group C/D for Clermont Carn.) If it was me at your location, I'd just forget about Freeview as any kind of reliable service, & frequency changes later this year in NI won't do it any more favours.

Was that the red box pictured in an earlier post? Wasn't it just an ordinary splitter? (No reason for it to be anything else.)

Those aerials are set up to receive Freeview from Kilkeel. (2 x group B at the top of the mast, & then the single group C/D for Clermont Carn.) If it was me at your location, I'd just forget about Freeview as any kind of reliable service, & frequency changes later this year in NI won't do it any more favours.

Yes the red box from earlier pic - it must have been an ordinary splitter alright. I'm only using one of the TV points at the moment.

How can you tell the 2 x group B and group C/D, all three look exactly the same?

Ahh so it sounds like I'm really barking up the wrong tree with freeview!
    The edision box also has DVB-S2 - I'll need to install a dish so if I want the UK channels.
    Thanks for the info

• Advertisement

... How can you tell the 2 x group B and group C/D, all three look exactly the same?

The top 2 have slightly longer elements, & are a bit longer overall, due to the longer wavelengths (lower frequencies) they're intended for.

Advertisement