Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolling lease eviction

Options
  • 21-05-2016 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Hi guys, my landlord is trying to evict me as he has told me within the past week that he intends on selling his house this summer. I signed a lease with a friend of mine back in August 2013, and since then it's been a rolling lease as we didn't sign for the coming years. Last September he told me that he has plans in the future to sell the property, and that I should keep this in mind, but this was all verbal.

In the past week he has assumed I would be moving out this June, but I told him that I would be planning on moving out in the coming September due to change of location. I was under the impression that I need at least 3 months' notice in the case of selling, or 56 days' notice as a tenant of 2-3 years. This really isn't ideal as I wanted to stay in this house until I move in September, instead of having to move again and find another lease for a short amount of time within the space of the coming 2-3 weeks.

Also note that my old flatmate moved out this year, and another moved in and paid per month without a lease being given to him.

I've emailed some places about this and they haven't replied to me, what are my rights here? What should I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

If he's selling, he can terminate the tenancy.

He must give 56 days notice in writing. Verbally telling you does not count as valid notice.

There's very little you can do to stay til September, as 56 days is all he has to give

Advertisement