Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great FA Cup Final memories...

• 21-05-2016 6:24pm

...when it used to be the blue riband event in the English game?

Brighton travelling to the final in '83 by helicopter. It seemed so exotic and exciting. In the future, all teams would travel that way...surely...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Not great but Gazza's reckless challenge against Coventry sticks in the memory. Don't think he was ever the same player after.

Keith Houchen's equaliser v Spurs...his second great FA Cup moment afair...

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1bcdyl_keith-houchen-diving-header-video-1987-fa-cup-final_sport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

pavb2 wrote: »
    Not great but Gazza's reckless challenge against Coventry sticks in the memory. Don't think he was ever the same player after.

Cant have been that memorable. It was against Forest :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Hasn't been many today lol

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,680 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Didn't realise Brighton were in a helicopter. Was in a coach on the way to the ground myself - that was my first final.

Turning up at Wembley to find Jim Leighton had been dropped was certainly a surprise. Arguably that (and not Mark Robins goal at Forest) was the turning point on the club's history.

Was directly in line with Cantona when he scored a very special winner in '96.

Of course '99 was also pretty special, but that was simply the aperitif before a trip to Barcelona

However the most special memory for me was '85. That was the first time I actually saw us lift the cup as I could not get time off work for the 1983 replay

Was behind the goal in which Whiteside scored. Had a camera and managed to take a photo just as the ball was curling past Southall into the bottom corner....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

This is the one I'll always remember

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The '79 final Arsenal v United was very good. 3 - 2 to the Gunners.

The '79 final Arsenal v United was very good. 3 - 2 to the Gunners.

The last 5 minutes of that game were incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

"It's only Ray Parlour"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭Andre 3000

The Gerrard Final

The aul lad and the brothers are all Pool fans. Seeing the wave of emotion from them on that scorching hot day was unreal. What a final, absolutely mental.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,680 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Zaph wrote: »
    The last 5 minutes of that game were incredible.
    And with that comment you've just brought back my worst memory....

Beasty wrote: »
    And with that comment you've just brought back my worst memory....
    and so I'll just throw this one up

No one picked Vinnie Jones tackle on Steve McMahon yet? Ooof...

http://youtu.be/RdsJnQrI-kU

and so I'll just throw this one up

Now that was just uncalled for :(

Zaph wrote: »
    Now that was just uncalled for :(
    T'was my first great memory....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Jimmy Montgomery's double save.

T'was my first great memory....

Thankfully I'm just that little bit too young to remember it. West Ham v Fulham in 1975 is the first cup final I remember.

However the most special memory for me was '85. That was the first time I actually saw us lift the cup as I could not get time off work for the 1983 replay

Was behind the goal in which Whiteside scored. Had a camera and managed to take a photo just as the ball was curling past Southall into the bottom corner....
    On the coach on the way back (to Leeds of all places!) we started singing (to "one man went to mow")

10 men went to win
    Went to win at Wembley...

Wonder what they'll be singing tonight?:)

• Today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Gary Mabbut's excellent near post volley into his own net in 1987.

Even as a 9 year old I took great pleasure in the misfortune of others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Pardew dancing like a smug so and so when they went 1-0 up... Only for them to go on and lose to 10 men Manchester United.

Glorious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

One of my earlier FA Cup memories. Lingards goal wasn't too far off this today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Advertisement