Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

"Motorised Bicycles"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Pugzilla wrote: »
    These need a bike licence, insurance and tax to operate, correct?

https://www.donedeal.ie/bicycles-for-sale/brand-new-80cc-motorized-bike/11726979

Correct

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

That's what I thought. The sellers are sly feckers.

Pugzilla wrote: »
    That's what I thought. The sellers are sly feckers.

The general rule the guards use is, if the engine is capable of moving the bike at any point without having to pedal, its a MPV and needs taxed etc.

I know of a person who had one seized and is now looking forward to a day in court..

Mag had a article about them..

http://www.magireland.org/2015/news-media/warning-on-bicycle-engines-electric-scooters/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

How do u tax or insure it?
    No reg and I guess insurance company doesn't have raleigh or whatever on ther list.

Tax or insurance on them doesn't seem to bother the guards near me.
    I suppose they 'll wait until someone is knocked down by one of them!:rolleyes:

blade1 wrote: »
    No reg and I guess insurance company doesn't have raleigh or whatever on ther list.

Well it needs to be road reg first... Local cops let them go but traffic WILL seize them!

I got a Motocross bike reg'd and it was hell.. No chance you could do it for a push bike.

Same guy on adverts claims you only need M licence for the 80cc..

LO fecking L!!

Even the battery bin pallet truck yokes the Dublin corpo use have reg plates.. They are MPV's.

• Advertisement

I sent a message to the seller.

He threatened to kick me in the head. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

yip, quick enough for a little thing :

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

http://www.halfords.ie/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/apollo-slant-mens-mountain-bike

Apollo (crap) mountain bike: €119.99. Overpriced by everything to the left of the decimal.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/NEW-2-STROKE-CYCLE-MOTOR-MUFFLER-MOTORIZED-BICYCLE-BIKE-ENGINE-GAS-KIT-FOR-80CC-/331810595717?hash=item4d4173e385:g:f9cAAOSwzvlW8nGc

Dodgy 2-stroke conversion kit: €85.42. Would you trust it?

Total: €205.41

Not only is he selling something completely illegal, while representing it as legal, he has the neck to charge nearly €200 to bolt it together?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Wonder would he tell one it's legal to ride on motorway cause she will do 50

http://touch.adverts.ie/road-bikes/motorised-bicycle-2016-new/10515800

Does 70 odd.. Its a MPV

That guy does go nuts..

Funny the link he used to the garda website is nothing to do with his wares...

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »

Can I do this then?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0zKWxVxIPyc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,347 ✭✭✭✭endacl

prinzeugen wrote: »
    http://touch.adverts.ie/road-bikes/motorised-bicycle-2016-new/10515800

Does 70 odd.. Its a MPV

That guy does go nuts..

Funny the link he used to the garda website is nothing to do with his wares...

"This bike is an expensive model with receipts to prove original price"

:rolleyes: Same piece of crap as above.

Stick a model jet engine on the back of a push bike.. No direct drive to the wheels!

Cost a few quid though.

The exhaust in the pics will burn...whole ECE crap..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

model jet engine ? no no :

gctest50 wrote: »
    model jet engine ? no no :

No direct drive!!.

Has anyone reported?

I reported the Done Deal ad.

All I got from Done Deal was this reply:
    We have been in touch with a member of the Gardai Traffic Corps and they have advised that these are legal and ok to remain on the site. If we receive a request from the Gardai in relation to these kinds of ads, we will be happy to take whatever action they recommend to us.

Looks like they care more about making a few more euros

That's a joke. 80cc is legal to strap onto a push bike.... Madness.

Have seen a few around town and from what I saw they can be hard stopped

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Freiwild77

I have one of them. Bought it in a shop in Kimmage (Push Bike Engine).
    It has a max speed of 40 to 45 km/h. Cruising speed is more around 28/35 km/h (at 45 km/h the engine is screaming and the bike is vibrating like made - so it's not healthy or safe).
    In order to operate the bike safely you need to maintain it properly. You need to check bolts, chain etc daily as the vibration of the engine makes them loose (locktite is your best friend).
    I use my bike daily to commute to work and it saves me a fortune in petrol (2.5-3l petrol per 100km) etc.

However I am going to sell my bike in the near future as I plan to ride a proper motorbike (I am in the learning process atm).

Those chaps who sell cheap Halfords bikes with engines strapped around don't give a damn about their customers. The bike hardly lasts with normal peddling never mind with an engine attached. Furthermore they don't have proper brakes. It's basically a death trap (if the bike hasn't been upgraded properly).
    I don't know how they can claim 60-70 km/h as top speed as those engines are not strong enough (a 125cc predator would possibly achieve this).

There is a grey area around the legality of these bikes as they can't be started without peddling. You also need to peddle once the speed drops below 18 km/h as otherwise the bike starts stalling. In the US they are very popular (as they are cheaper then expensive electric bikes) and you can buy them in shops.

Advertisement