Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will there be a next "housing bubble"?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Alter_Ego wrote: »
    One issue with the proposal - it's incompatible with greed :)

While we are at we should cap taxi fares at just above cost too. Why stop there? We should cap prices for Doctors, hotels, restaurants, bread. We should strive to be fully communist by the next election because this suggestion isnt far off it

If people seem to think a landlord charging rent beyond cost is greed, they need a hard look at themselves. Our whole modern day economy is built on rewarding hard work and people taking a risk. If there is not a decent enough profit to be made, people wont provide a service. The tens of thousands of LL's selling up suggests that even a 'greedy' levels of rental costs. Rents are not high enough for most LLs to continue supplying property

If people want affordable housing, they should expect it from the state. Instead of blaming LL's for charging market rate

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Examples please from Daft/My Home that support this point...

I'm referring to average house prices vs average incomes.

You'll find neither on those sites you've mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

I'm referring to average house prices vs average incomes.

You'll find neither on those sites you've mentioned.

And I'm referring to actual reality and how you're initial statement can be very subjective, depending who says it. One example was the chartered surveyors who released a report saying that the average income could not afford the average house in Dublin. The funny thing was that the average house was picked to cost 330k which was a very convenient number for them to skew the main point of their report. No mention was made of the many units available for below this in Dublin.

Can you not provide real life examples to back your initial statement up?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

And I'm referring to actual reality and how you're initial statement can be very subjective, depending who says it. One example was the chartered surveyors who released a report saying that the average income could not afford the average house in Dublin. The funny thing was that the average house was picked to cost 330k which was a very convenient number for them to skew the main point of their report. No mention was made of the many units available for below this in Dublin.

Can you not provide real life examples to back your initial statement up?

It's an opinion, not a statement!

I'm not required to back up anything, so I won't bother.

p.s. You're quite entitled to disagree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

It's an opinion, not a statement!

I'm not required to back up anything, so I won't bother.

p.s. You're quite entitled to disagree.

That's grand. I'll take your opinion as just parroting a very subjective point with no objective analysis

• Advertisement

That's grand. I'll take your opinion as just parroting a very subjective point with no objective analysis

No problem.

I'll file yours under argumentative contrarianism :D

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Our whole modern day economy is built on rewarding hard work and people taking a risk.

Slightly off topic but just amused there are still people out there who believe this.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭deathtocaptcha

There will only be a new housing bubble if and when supply of housing outstrips demand. So far there are no signs of that happening. Demand far exceeds supply and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

No problem.

I'll file yours under argumentative contrarianism :D

Mod note And I'll ask you both to take it to pm if you want to continue this to and fro. Thanks

Advertisement