Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LW ,MW, SW Radio and The Future Of DRM

2»

Comments

Karsini wrote: »
    12 years. 1989-2001.

Fecking hell, what was I thinking. :D

Trying to watch telly and type ! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have not heart the DAB broadcast in this quality but I have heard 48 Kbps AAC, compression has got a lot better over the years but it hasn't got that much better.....

AAC is a decade and two full technology cycles than HE-AAC+.

The BBC use 320 to satisfy a few bandwidth snobs, not because there's any need to - at bitrates that high, it is better to use older, simpler compression.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

There's no advantage to DAB. I see no point, I see a point to some digital transmissions on Am and Shortwave , some of the transmissions are quiet amazing over such distances, the signal needs to be quiet good though .

I was not praising DAB only pointing out it does not get as far as Galway or much of the country.

L1011 wrote: »
    AAC is a decade and two full technology cycles than HE-AAC+.

The BBC use 320 to satisfy a few bandwidth snobs, not because there's any need to - at bitrates that high, it is better to use older, simpler compression.

High Efficiency AAC + @48 Kbps maybe suitable for portable use but it's not good quality, not in my book. Anyway we can argue this one for a long time I guess we have to agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Mickey Mike

Just looking at Saturday's Irish Daily Mail and its not pretty reading, RTE are about to sell off parts of Donnybrook as it try to balance the books. So where does that leave future development? We can forget about DAB expansion and totally forget about DRM only to manage what they have now. I could still see an end to LW Radio 252 next May, with that state their in.

I thought 252 was to go in January ?

I really hope the transmitter is kept and all transmitting equipment.

What's to go in RTE ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I thought 252 was to go in January ?

Decision to be reviewed according to a recent press report - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=101224225#post101224225
    What's to go in RTE ?

About 10 acres - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=98589608#post98589608

Yes 10 acres, consists of a sports field and the entire Fair City set on that ground. The set will move closer to the main building. They are also considering other sites around the country.

I wish they'd dump fair city, it's complete and utter crap, as bad as Glenroe was it was miles better than that fair city , pure utter crap.

• Advertisement

The BBC streams at 96 kbps AAC 48 k sample rate . You can't get their HD streams as they call it outside the uk but This is quiet acceptable at least on my Roberts R100 @96 Kbps AAC. Way better than most Irish streams both on the internet and DAB.

Listening to BBC 2 now. I wish Irish stations had more music , there's no various genres in Ireland really, not in this part of Kildare , it's mostly talk and news every 30 mins is just horribly annoying along with pop crap, going back to BBC 2.

All my local stations are talk at this time and todayfm , radio 1 , 2Fm is just a crap station altogether , just listening to the crap they're playing at this time is just really annoying.

Anyway , I wish for stations to transmit in DRM , I don't like having to be tied to the internet to listen to radio. It would be nice to get long distance transmissions outside the house on SW in digital.

Mr. Mad Lad you are a full hearted DRM man, and you are right, its better than any DAB but when you can't get receives nor a signal it shows its away down the list. Heads of Europe need to agree a way forward for Short Wave DRM

Anyway , I wish for stations to transmit in DRM

You are opposed to 48k HE-AAC+ on DAB+... yet DRM on conventional carriers is 32k HE-AAC!

My DRM radio is over a decade old. There's probably less stations now than there were when I bought it.

You are opposed to 48k HE-AAC+ on DAB+... yet DRM on conventional carriers is 32k HE-AAC!

My DRM radio is over a decade old. There's probably less stations now than there were when I bought it.

You don't have a DRM radio, I think you mean DAB ? There are no DRM radios you can buy yet but that might change in 2017 as an android based radio might be released that will decode DRM on Shortwave.

Maybe you do have a DRM radio and bought it in the likes of India, just wondering ?

You don't have a DRM radio, I think you mean DAB ? There are no DRM radios you can buy yet but that might change in 2017 as an android based radio might be released that will decode DRM on Shortwave.

Maybe you do have a DRM radio and bought it in the likes of India, just wondering ?

You are aware DRM is well over a decade old (and a busted flush) right? And that there were some, terrible, radios on the market. You don't really seem to know much about something you're so enthusiastic about.

I have a Morphy Richards unit bought in about 2005, when DRM was the next great hope. Its crap.

It does do DAB (and FM/AM) also, but as its mono and has a power supply that puts out more heat than a small oven I don't use it for that.

Mr. Mad Lad you are a full hearted DRM man, and you are right, its better than any DAB but when you can't get receives nor a signal it shows its away down the list. Heads of Europe need to agree a way forward for Short Wave DRM

http://www.drm.org/drm-tested-with-renewed-interest-in-europe/

There are other interesting articles if you search around.

If you get an SDR receiver and I highly recommend the SDRplay, see the link below.

http://www.sdrplay.com/

And google how to decode DRm, I believe I posted a link a page or two back.

You'll find more DRM stations appear than the last 5 years, this will give an idea of what's capable on MW/SW.

My Idea is that it's not always possible to listen to internet radio and I don't want to be restricted to the internet for to listen to radio. + I want a broader range of material to listen to. Irish radio is very restrictive in what is allowed on air and this included Music.

Anyway the SDR is capable of listening to the Ham radio bands also and you can check out on screen if there are any stations broadcasting without even tuning anything.

Check out this web based sdr in the Netherlands. It covers the entire Shortwave spectrum 0-30 Mhz. and covers the Ham radio bands also, for these you'll need to change to USB or LSB and for Broadcast radio back to AM.

For the SDRPlay you'll need a good antenna preferably mounted out doors , the magnetic loop antennas are great for urban areas which are filled with dirty rf noise.

http://www.wellbrook.uk.com/Loop_Antennas

These loop antennas get excellent reviews, they are expensive and you really need them on an aerial rotator to tune to the direction of the signal or to tune out interference.

You can also get, if you have the garden space, a long wire antenna or Dipole , just make sure it will cover the bands you want to listen to, for LW,Mw and SW you need 100 Khz to 30 Mhz.

You can also buy a shortwave radio on e-bay 2nd hand and connect an external antenna.

You'll pull in signals you never imagined.

• Advertisement

You are aware DRM is well over a decade old (and a busted flush) right? And that there were some, terrible, radios on the market. You don't really seem to know much about something you're so enthusiastic about.

I have a Morphy Richards unit bought in about 2005, when DRM was the next great hope. Its crap.

It does do DAB (and FM/AM) also, but as its mono and has a power supply that puts out more heat than a small oven I don't use it for that.

The Murphy Richards radio got terrible reviews, technology has come on you know, there are some good radios working in India and hopefully some good ones coming to the market soon not to mention the SDR based radios you can get right now. DRM can offer pretty good audio quality, if the Radio station uses good bandwidth.

You don't really seem to know much about something you're so enthusiastic about.

You can make an opinion without being insulting, you obviously haven't kept up to date, you got a crap radio and write off the technology !

You can make an opinion without being insulting, you obviously haven't kept up to date, you got a crap radio and write off the technology !

You were wrong. Losing the head doesn't help there.

The radios may have improved (I doubt it) but the underlying technology is already dead. There were more stations easily receivable when I got the radio than now.

Your inconsistent opinion on bitrates is still an issue here too. DRM provodes bitrates below that you consider unacceptable.

You were wrong. Losing the head doesn't help there.

The radios may have improved (I doubt it) but the underlying technology is already dead. There were more stations easily receivable when I got the radio than now.

Your inconsistent opinion on bitrates is still an issue here too. DRM provodes bitrates below that you consider unacceptable.

No , DRM quality if a decent bitrate is used is more than acceptable on Shortwave compared to the analogue signal where as DAB should be a much better quality given it's supposed to replace FM.

They are using pretty decent DRM radios in India for a while now.

For Shortwave this is pretty good .

This is Romania Radio International being recieved in Brazil, pretty amazing even if 20 Kbps AAC+

• Advertisement
Advertisement