Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€1000 gaming PC

Options
  • 21-05-2016 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]
    €1000 to give a round figure (it's not really a hard figure, I'll go a bit over it if need be)

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming/Video editing/3D Modelling/HTPC/Internet] (If gaming include which games)
    Gaming, Fallout 4 in the short term. Hoping to be set for any graphical mods I may wish to use.

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]
    No, don't think so, should be ok if I keep the motherboard I'm currently using. That's my understanding at least. (alienware 0PGRP5)

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility)
    My CPU I think is the only thing.

i7 4770 @ 3.4 GHz

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]
    No.

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No]
    1080p, and I'll upgrade to 1440p down the road for sure.

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]
    Might be good for me to get a Wireless Card and Sound Card?

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]
    No

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]
    Paypal/visa debit

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]
    A month maybe. I'm thinking about getting the 1080. Depending on what I get finalized and 'this is definitely going to be my build' could start ordering some of it right away, pretty much.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]
    I might do, never built one before. Am in Limerick, near enough to the city.

I suppose first of all I'd be looking for thoughts on this. I wouldn't be able to order it all right now but was tempted to order some of it. I figured I'd be best off posting it here for any opinions on it before doing so. If some part there isn't so good, please let me know what I should swap out. The cost shown in that pic is fine, it'll get expensive with the 1080 though.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Sound cards aren't really needed, but if you want one to drive good headphones, I recommend looking into external (USB) models.

Keeping the Alienware's motherboard means you won't have an IO shield (backplate).

Crucial BX200 is to be avoided at all costs, it's junk. Get the BX100 or literally any Samsung model.

GTX1080 is possibly overkill at 1440p - wait on reviews of the GTX1070 (or w/e AMD is bringing out)?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Maybe it would be for the best to get the 1070 and maybe the 1080 Ti down the road. I'll leave that question aside for the min. So, ok the main takeaway is swap the SSD and new motherboard. Here are some possible ones, though I'm open to other suggestions. (Thanks for the vid by the way :) )

ASUS Z97-P
    MSI B85-G43 GAMING
    ASUS VANGUARD B85

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Do you already have a functioning X51? There really wouldn't be any need to replace the whole machine.

Well, I reckon getting a new case would be a good thing to do anyway, have done for a while. I was actually coming back here to edit that post to get thoughts on the case above. Need to be sure it's a good one. I can't really say that's it. I have the list above as more proof of concept than definite purchases (which is probably obvious given I'm posting here :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Nanoxia DS1 with a H97 board would run you less than €200 delivered and be all you need before the GPU ass far as I can tell

• Advertisement

The RAM I have sucks, so whatever else I do I know I need to give that an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

8gb DDR3 is only like 30 quid

I suppose I could get a 1 x 8 GB DDR3 and if I feel the need for more it's easy to get a 2nd one.

Have done some updating now.

http://i.imgur.com/W9XfyCl.png?1
    http://i.imgur.com/MHdc7KH.png?1

If there's no reason why that shouldn't work, then it'll just be a matter of getting the graphics card when that is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

They'll work, but those prices...

• Advertisement
Advertisement