Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA primary school system

Options
  • 21-05-2016 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭

We may be undertaking a short term move to the US shortly. We have children so I'm concerned on what to do regarding school. It might be only for 5/6 months but I'm not brave enough for homeschooling :pac:
    So currently I've a 9.5 year old in 3rd class and a 7.5 year old in 1st class. When we get there they will have moved up a class here. How does this translate across into the American system? I'd like them to keep within their age group but obviously not at the expense of their learning.
    Thanks for any guidance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I never had our kids in Irish schools, we moved to the US by the time they were old enough. I can tell you that the "cut off" age is normally a birthday before August 1st' so if your child turns 8 before August 1st 2016, they would enter 3rd grade. That being said, age grades to tend to be more fluid here, with parents holding kids back before entering 1st grade, or skipping a year if they are very bright, so you will see a slightly wider age range within the same class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

So that means then that since our youngest was 7 before 08/16 he would be in second grade in Sept?
    And our eldest was 9 before 08/16 so he would be in 4th grade in Sept?
    I think I will take a look at these national class curriculum (is there such a thing) and see where they are at relative to the Irish 2nd and 4th classes.

That is correct, though school usually starts mid August (it depends a bit on your state, and even your district within the state can have a week's difference or so). You could contact the district you'll be moving to and ask if they would assess your kids and see which grade they would be best for. I have seen them do that here locally, thouhg in the two cases I know of, I think it was more because of the poor English of the kids.

Here is a Arkansas curriculum per grade: http://www.lrsd.org/?q=content/curriculum-grade-0

• Registered Users Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭rameire

Hope you can help.
    Is there a cost to school education for the parents in the nw region of Arkansas. So Bentonville area.
    Is school covered by the state or is it an actual cost or is it based on income.
    Starting level would be 2nd grade.
    Thanks for the help.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Hi unfortunately I can be of no help to you.

Maybe someone else might have some information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

rameire wrote: »
    Hope you can help.
    Is there a cost to school education for the parents in the nw region of Arkansas. So Bentonville area.
    Is school covered by the state or is it an actual cost or is it based on income.
    Starting level would be 2nd grade.
    Thanks for the help.

Public schools are free. You would only pay if you sent your kids to a private school. For Public school, you may have to buy some supplies for your kids, such as notebooks, pens, backpack, etc, but that's about it. Some districts will provide free breakfast and lunch to kids from low-income families.

This website should tell you what you need to know - http://district.bentonvillek12.org/pages/Bentonville_School_District/Departments/Student_Services/Enrollment_Information/Open_Enrollment__Grades_1-12_

We are in Rogers, right beside Bentonville!
    As mentioned, public school is free unless you attend on a F1 student visa, then you may need to pay; but not if the parents come on a greencard or work visa. School supplies at the beginning of the year are about $60, much of which will be used directly by your kid (pencils, crayons, notebooks), and some which will be for the classroom (disinfectant wipes, scissors, copy paper etc). This can be waived. Lunch you can either provide, or pay for school lunch; if you are low income, as we currently are as my husband is unemployed, it is free.

Advertisement