Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rounded off mech hanger bolt in a titanium frame - suggestions?

• 21-05-2016 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

The mech hanger on my titanium frame is bent but when I went to remove it I rounded off one of the counter sunk bolts that attaches the hanger to the frame. I say bolt but it is more akin to a grub screw. I am not so keen to cut a slot in the head of the bolt as the countersunk element will also result in a cut to the titanium frame. I have tried to drill out the bolt but every drill bit I have used has simply become blunted and made no impact.

Help !

Any thoughts? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Homer1798

Try drilling the grub screw out from the other side as the drill bit will be travelling the same way as the tread in the frame and with a bit if force may actually unscrew it fro you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭StevieGriff

Homer1798 wrote: »
    Try drilling the grub screw out from the other side as the drill bit will be travelling the same way as the tread in the frame and with a bit if force may actually unscrew it fro you.
    This ^. And I know it seems obvious but make sure you aren't using a masonry or wood bit, seems a bit odd that you were blunting the bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

You really need an easy-out to remove this screw. You drill a hole where the existing allen key would fit in and then use the easy-out to screw out the damaged screw. If you're not confident doing it yourself then maybe a bike shop or garage can help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Are you sure your using proper metal/steel bits? They shouldn't be rounding off unless the screw is made from Some sort of ultra toughened steel/carbide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

The bolt might be made from stainless steel, if so you will need to use a slower speed drill and a lot of force (low speed, high feed)
    Stainless bolts are usually not magnetic, so try that first to see if your bolt is stainless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Try this. If its an allen screw get a Torx key thats one size bigger and press it in with a vice grips or a g clamp and you should have no problem removing it. You could try driving the Torx bit in with a hammer if you are careful.

Advertisement