Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castletroy to Shannon

• 22-05-2016 1:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm going to be starting co op in Shannon soon and I'm going to be living in college court. My plan is to get Euro bus from Groody at 7:35am to the Bus station and then get the 343 bus at 8:05am. This would have me in Shannon industrial estate at 8:45am. I'm meant to be in work for 9am so it's not too bad.

The other alternative is that I leave Castletroy around 6am and walk to the bus station in the city and get the 343 at 7:30am. This would have me in work at 8:15am.

Is there any other routes that I haven't heard of?

How safe would it be to walk to the city around 6am? I only plan on doing this for summer months until I get my license.

Is the Euro bus reliable?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Man that is an annoying commute every day I would imagine. I once got the city bus from UL to the city and then Bus Eireann to Shannon Airport and it's an awfully annoying trek I thought.

Was way longer than I imagined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

Fastest way is by car and through the tunnel. Once you start working I am sure you could share a lift with someone.

It's not going to take 1 1/2 hours to walk to town. I'd still be getting the bus though, unless you need a reason for exercise. Avoid rush hour. Don't expect them to be that reliable though.

A pleasant way to get to town from UL is along the river by bicycle. It should only take 15 minutes or so. You would not want to be cycling all the way to Shannon though. I do not know if the coca cola (lol) bikes are at UL but that would be a terrific choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Fastest way is by car and through the tunnel. Once you start working I am sure you could share a lift with someone.

It's not going to take 1 1/2 hours to walk to town. I'd still be getting the bus though, unless you need a reason for exercise. Avoid rush hour. Don't expect them to be that reliable though.

A pleasant way to get to town from UL is along the river by bicycle. It should only take 15 minutes or so. You would not want to be cycling all the way to Shannon though. I do not know if the coca cola (lol) bikes are at UL but that would be a terrific choice.

No Coca Cola bikes in UL yet and the bike path along the river is closed for works until October unfortunately.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is there any specific reason why you're choosing to live in College Court?

I did my Co Op in Shannon too and when I started I was also relying on public transports so lived in the city instead and got the Bus Eireann bus out to work.

Getting 2 buses will make for a long day, coming home you'll prob have the same 1hr and half or so commute so you could be up around 7 and not get home again until 6.30 or maybe later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

Might not much help to you until you start your co-op, but there will be a lot of people commuting from castletroy to shannon industrial estate, maybe get in touch with HR at the company you will be working for. If you don't ask, you don't get I find in these situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Danger101 wrote: »

How safe would it be to walk to the city around 6am? I only plan on doing this for summer months until I get my license.

It's perfectly safe. No issues there.

I'd move in to the city if I were you. Save yourself a hell of a lot of time and money and the city is a better place to live than Castletroy anyway.

Advertisement