Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine

Options
  • 22-05-2016 2:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Apologies if this isn't the right thread, it's referring to my hopeful future job so I guess it does :P

Anyway, I'm interested in medicine, and have been for a while.
    I was going through an extremely hard time and due to that, I kind of slacked on my studies. Got 400 in my mocks, wasn't planning to even go to college, but I realised it was a bit of an existential crisis.

But, I was looking up alternate ways to get in, cos I know I won't get the points and the HPAT... ugh.
    I really really would not like to repeat, cos this year has to date been the worst year of my life.

But. I looked up and from what I can read, if I get 2:1 in my BSC and do the GAMSAT I may be able to get into the graduate entry UL course.
    But which courses would work for this?
    Science Choice? Biomedical Science? Science degrees in general?

I'd really appreciate any help on the matter!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think it might be easier to repeat and get the points you need than do a degree that takes four years and only then launch into the course you actually wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 em0192

Hey I've heard there's a four year course on nursing in DCU that if you get a 2:1 in that,you can go on and do a three year med course :) that's only 7 years in total which to be honest isn't bad,considering most medicine courses are 6 years anyways!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

em0192 wrote: »
    Hey I've heard there's a four year course on nursing in DCU that if you get a 2:1 in that,you can go on and do a three year med course :) that's only 7 years in total which to be honest isn't bad,considering most medicine courses are 6 years anyways!!

Does everyone who applies get on the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Gallagher1

em0192 wrote: »

What's the full name of the course or the course code?

spurious wrote: »
    Does everyone who applies get on the course?

I'm not sure,never really looked into it myself,just heard some one mention it on one of the other threads :)

• Advertisement

Gallagher1 wrote: »
    What's the full name of the course or the course code?

Nursing in dcu I presume :) really not too sure just saw it on another thread and thought I'd mention it here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

In medicine currently. I'm 99.9% certain there is no possibility of switching from another course directly into medicine apart from dentistry. Apart from advanced entry for qualified dentists, everyone else must meet the minimum LC and HPAT entry requirements.

With regards to the above question, do a course that you're happy in. You don't want to put all your eggs in one basket and find out in a years time that you dont want to do medicine but now you're stuck in a course you only chose to help you get into medicine. You can get into graduate entry with any degree background. As the GAMSAT focuses on the sciences, science courses will help you in preparation- those which cover chemistry, physics and biology.

Advertisement