Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Makes me a bit sad when...

• 22-05-2016 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

...guys you meet on the road dont wave or nod back....

It costs nothing lads.....passed at least 10 bikes yesterday, less than half returned a wave/nod.....maybe cause i was on the classic...:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I find in/around the city you seldom get a nod. But out on the roads, almost always get/give one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭prunudo

...guys you meet on the road dont wave or nod back....

It costs nothing lads.....passed at least 10 bikes yesterday, less than half returned a wave/nod.....maybe cause i was on the classic...:(

I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it or read too much into either. There's rude people in all walks of life so there's bound to some rude bikers too. Not saying they're all being intentionally rude, but I don't expect every biker to wave back.
    For what it's worth I'd always acknowledge another biker, whether it's nod, leg out or wave. Doesnt bother me whether they're wearing a waist coat, a powerranger or Ewan MacGergor wanna be. We're all out on 2 wheels enjoying the open road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

jvan wrote: »
    I wouldn't loose too much sleep over it We're all out on 2 wheels enjoying the open road.

I dont......just makes me think theyre "bikest"....;)
    Had a good few replies today.....:)

To generalise a bit you can nearly be guaranteed you see one of those new bmw tourer style bikes the owner will not nod back.

There also seems to be a clique element aswell, being on a sportbike I cant ever recall passing another sportsbike and not get a nod.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,368 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

giphy.gif

• Advertisement

To generalise a bit you can nearly be guaranteed you see one of those new bmw tourer style bikes the owner will not nod back.

Wellllll....I didn't want to say that but...;)

Wellllll....I didn't want to say that but...;)

I think he reason is the majority are owned by middle aged men who have only started riding recently and arent actually into bikes really at all.

Any bikes in my office owned by middle management are these bikes and they have been bought recently purely to use them as a commuting tool to save time over a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

I nod at pretty much everyone on two wheels, including scumbags in tracksuits on scooters/mopeds. Not always possible to do though if I'm taking a corner or, considering how bad the roads can be, looking out for potholes and sunken manhole covers (of which there are MANY).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I think he reason is the majority are owned by middle aged men who have only started riding recently and arent actually into bikes really at all.

Ok, I'm a BMW rider, middle aged, who has started riding recently. :eek:

But, I do my best to give a nod or wave to any other biker. Not so much riding in the city, but definitely out on the roads, where possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

As Mr Duffy would say, there do be the bad bikers but there also do be the bad people :-)

I'm out in Dunshaughlin and everyone waves at each other no matter what the transportation

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Middle aged myself and also a BMW rider. Just noticed there yesterday when I was out in the Cooley mountains that none and I mean none of the cruiser riders nodded !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

D3V!L wrote: »
    Middle aged myself and also a BMW rider. Just noticed there yesterday when I was out in the Cooley mountains that none and I mean none of the cruiser riders nodded !!
    Don't mind them they all have a bad dose of Cruiserface.:D

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Don't mind them they all have a bad dose of Cruiserface.:D

What is it with "cruiserface" I've had a couple of cruisers but never had this affliction !! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

What is it with "cruiserface" I've had a couple of cruisers but never had this affliction !! :confused:
    Its not that contagious as long as you can recognise the symptoms.
    https://rideapart.com/articles/stop-cruiserface-now

you cant see it yourself cause you think you look nornal.....:D

And its not just the BMW (Bored Middle-aged Workaholic) riders...plenty of other bikes too....and also, give a little wave to cars that move over to let you go....its just nice..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Harry Fox

Yes lads just give a nod to your fellow biker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Its not that contagious as long as you can recognise the symptoms.
    https://rideapart.com/articles/stop-cruiserface-now

- An attempt to cover up nvoluntary mirth induced urination caused by vibration-induced numbness. this post
    Laughed out loud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

you cant see it yourself cause you think you look nornal.....:D

And its not just the BMW (Bored Middle-aged Workaholic) riders...plenty of other bikes too....and also, give a little wave to cars that move over to let you go....its just nice..;)

Always do.. It's just good manners. Aside - Was in heavy traffic on a motorway in the UK last year and the way the way the cars moved over and made way for me and a mate to filter through miles of slow and stopped traffic was just a pleasure. I had a pain in my hand from waving! The whole culture was courtesy - Here we seem to go more on a sense of entitlement. I.e, I've paid my tax and insurance and I'm entitled to drive the way I want no matter how it may inconvenience you or anybody else.
    So: giving that small wave may make a difference in the long run. I'm a car driver as well and I always appreciate it when I get a nod or a wave or the odd boot poked at me as I let people through. Yes. It's just nice.... Why can't more people be like this?
    Back on topic. I struggle to understand the mentality that makes somebody who owns a particular make or model of bike to feel superior/apart from anyone else ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

SeamusG97 wrote: »
    Always do.. It's just good manners. Aside - Was in heavy traffic on a motorway in the UK last year and the way the way the cars moved over and made way for me and a mate to filter through miles of slow and stopped traffic was just a pleasure. I had a pain in my hand from waving! The whole culture was courtesy - Here we seem to go more on a sense of entitlement. I.e, I've paid my tax and insurance and I'm entitled to drive the way I want no matter how it may inconvenience you or anybody else.
    So: giving that small wave may make a difference in the long run. I'm a car driver as well and I always appreciate it when I get a nod or a wave or the odd boot poked at me as I let people through. Yes. It's just nice.... Why can't more people be like this?

Got a shock in Le Mans when cars activitly pulled out of our way when two of us started filtering, it was 45C so needed to move, in the city centre during rush hour.

Was even more shocked when a load of bikes waved at me after riding straight past my friend who's bike was in the middle of the road on an Alpine pass, bike had fallen off the stand but they didn't know that. At least the last bike going past him gave him a thumbs up!

Don't worry about getting a nod, it's the bikes that check you are OK when stopped that count.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭Plopli

Yet another middle aged riding a BMW here.
    (OK, I did not start riding recently and it's my first one so maybe I'm not corrupted yet)
    And I do acknowledge riders (and cars that do the move to let me filter).

Being on a bike does not really change you.
    If you're not nice off the bike, using one will not make you nicer.

A big difference with the continent is that driving on the left means your throttle hand is the one you would use for waving so it makes it more awkward than when driving on the right.

I suppose this is one of the reason hand wave is more common on the continent and nod (not always as noticeable) more common over here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭Wood

Every biker i met yesterday gave me the nod and twice today cars moved out of the way so i could filter past them.

What a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I drove a BMW and now a Ducati. I hate waving at scum on their Japanese bikes. I usually just give they the fingers when they wave.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I drove a BMW and now a Ducati. I hate waving at scum on their Japanese bikes. I usually just give they the fingers when they wave.

If youre on a Doocati theyre not waving at you theyre giving you the "ketchup bottle shake"..........:eek::D:D

BTW....speaking of ketchup Tomorrows half price fish and chip day...;)

I don't wave because it'll diminish my sense of self importance I get from driving a premium brand motorbicycle :pac:

I don't wave because it'll diminish my sense of self importance I get from driving a premium brand motorbicycle :pac:

And do premium brand cars pull over to let you pass when they see the sticky out cylinders or aluminium "make-up" cases in their mirrors....:p:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I used to wave when I rode a BMW ~ to signal that I was broken down again!.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Cienciano wrote: »

...oh, is that what that was ? I thought you were telling me the Duc is running on 1 cylinder again :pac: :pac: :pac:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...oh, is that what that was ? I thought you were telling me the Duc is running on 1 cylinder again :pac: :pac: :pac:

Always 2 loud cylinders buddy. And V shaped, not like the weird bmws

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭millingmachine

I'd rather watch out for the moron that's going to pull out in front of me than bother waving at every other bike on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd rather watch out for the moron that's going to pull out in front of me than bother waving at every other bike on the road.

^^^ I've found him.. This is the guy who NEVER waves back :mad:

Advertisement