Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1e holiday deposit

Options
  • 22-05-2016 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi guys booked a holiday last year on travel republic paid 1e deposit travelling in august but I've since lost job and will not be going there is seemingly a cancellation fee in small print which I didn't see at time of booking and cannot afford this if I was to cancel my debit card can they still pursue for payment thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

karl75 wrote: »
    Hi guys booked a holiday last year on travel republic paid 1e deposit travelling in august but I've since lost job and will not be going there is seemingly a cancellation fee in small print which I didn't see at time of booking and cannot afford this if I was to cancel my debit card can they still pursue for payment thanks

Cancelling the card won't work, the bank would be obliged to pass it on to your replacement card if the charge is valid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

The whole idea of the €1.00 charge is to create a binding contract. Never, ever buy into something like this as having no risk. You absolutely have to pay. Sorry to hear you lost your job.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭karl75

cheers guys well they cant get what I don't have cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

They can take you to court etc if they want to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,124 ✭✭✭homer911

I remember this exact same topic coming up on a post a year or so back. The deposit creates a legally binding contract. Travel Insurance is so important in situations like this.

Check the cancellation terms - your liability may be very limited given the travel date is August

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

karl75 wrote: »
    cheers guys well they cant get what I don't have cheers

They absolutely can, and more with it. Unless you deal in cash only in this country, they absolutely can, they just have to go about it the right way, and they will do. They use the same way as DFS do. Op I do feel bad for you having lost your job. Pay it is my advice. Push this and you will get absolutely and unequivocally annihilated. In my view, and maybe for another thread, but these €1 now holidays, and pay nothing up front couch, and all the rest, it is completely wrong. The customer is most often a bad credit risk, a poorer person, etc, and when they say 'Sorry, you didn't get approved for the finance' and you say 'Ah, thanks anyway for your help', they go 'Woah, Woah, Woah buddy, there is a couch to pay for here, there is a holiday to pay for', whatever it may be.

They know full well persons like the op may fall on harder times, and while legal, I do think it is morally wrong the way they set up their business model. Op here is gonna get rightly taken to the cleaners, I repeatedly bounce my my head off the table everytime a vulnerable person comes in and says 'Ah Sher, they can't take what I don't have can they'

Op, pay the thing, and pay it quick. Find the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Basically in these scenarios you paid the company 1quid, but as soon as you did they booked the - often non-refundable - flights. So if you cancel you at the very least owe them the cost of the flights. If you engage with them now perhaps given your situation - genuinely lost job, not being nasty etc - they might be able to come to a payment agreement with you.

Advertisement