Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local male cat bullying our female cat (long post sorry)

• 22-05-2016 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭

I hope someone can offer some advice.. We've had our spayed rescue cat since last Winter. She's now just over a year and really well settled in, a complete pet. She likes to go out during the day and wander round the garden chasing bees and stalking the birds. We usually leave the back door open for her to wander in and out when we're home and where we're out if she wants to stay outside, we leave the conservatory door open and her food and water bowl in there.

There's a young male cat that comes to play ( nicknamed Felix) and they seem to get on well.. She beats him up and he looks like a love struck teenager.. They play like kittens and it seems to work out fine.. He will occasionally try to boss her and she chases him off. Another bigger male cat comes by occasionally and she usually chases him off pretty quickly..

In the last few weeks we've had another new male visitor.. Nicknamed George as he's tall dark and handsome.. He's a bit skinny but I don't think he's a stray.. She seems afraid to chase him off but I haven't seen any fighting and no injuries, mostly he just stares at her while she hides under something. However he's taken to coming in the house and the other morning our poor girl was out in the rain and George was asleep in the conservatory on her comfy chair having eaten all her food.
    Will she eventually chase him off and it will settle down? We're not able to fit a cat flap but with kids coming and going all the doors are usually open anyway.. Any advice? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

It will probably take several days of you being the boss and cracking down on the behavior. When you see it, chase George away dramatically, with much gesticulation, hissing, and large arm movements, and then bring your girl back in and feed and pet her. You will need to do this repeatedly before it dawns on the fuzzy heads that George is an unwelcome guest and Puss is the housepet.

Keep a close eye (and nose) on any "territory marking" that George may indulge in, and scrub well. I have had good results using diluted household ammonia to remove the stain and smell, followed immediately with diluted spirit vinegar to neutralize the ammonia smell (which may itself signal "place to pee" to a cat, if not neutralized). A drop or two of essential oil of orange "marks" the spot as "human territory" since cats seem to think it smells like marking pee.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭busymum1

Thanks Speedwell, no sign of him today but we were home most of the day..I'll try those ideas the next time he turns up..

Advertisement