Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worming for trout

Options
  • 22-05-2016 12:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Just posting this for a lad, I'm trying to get him into trout then later might try fly fishing, now I've never used worms of anything so im useless, the river is a small river, with some good stocks of trout, now what lb line would he need I suppose 5lb or so? What setup do ye use? How would we go to setup the rod etc for worming the deepest the river would go to is around 5ft so it's quite shallow, would we neet floats? Hook sizes?

Sorry for all the questions I'm just no help when it comes to worming

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭pheasant tail

I definetly wouldn't use anything heavier than 5lb line if even. Size 14 hook and one shot on the line and thats all you need. It's as simple as that, just make sure not to spook the fish or let them see ya, and no need to be using floats at all as long as you show him how to detect a bite

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Thanks pheasant tail!

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Make sure your watching the rod for bites. trout have a tendency to definitely swallow a hook right down. Worms or maggots it doesn't matter. If your not watching make sure You bring a forceps or disgorger with you.

Advertisement