Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New PC - display weirdness.

Options
  • 22-05-2016 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,829 ✭✭✭

Hopefully someone has seen something like this before.

I recently bought a partly built rig from scan, low budget for second PC/family use, web browsing, 16-bit software, older games that kind of thing. Unfortunately the graphics are acting kinda weird and I don't know how to diagnose or fix.

Rough specs:

4GB DDR3 RAM
    ASUS AM1M-A mobo.
    CPU: AMD Athlon 5350 APU with Radeon(tm) R3
    On-board graphics (or would that be determined by the CPU nowadays) billed on the mainboard box as "VGA: Integrated AMD Radeon R Series Graphics in the API - Multi-VGA output support: HDMI / DVI / RGB port"
    Windows 7 OEM 32-bit. Display reports the graphics card as AMD Radeon HD 8400
    SSD and Blu Ray drives carried over from old computers.
    Monitor is an older Dell monitor 1024*768 - VGA connection.

The problem is this: during boot-up and in Windows if I allow it to use the full 1024*768 display capabilities of the monitor, the pictures goes off to the left about an inch and a half, hiding the start menu button and things like that, while on the right there's a small back band maybe 3/4 inch wide.

There is a thing for positioning and sizing the display in the AMD, (screenshot attached) but that only helps a little bit, it narrows the gap on the right and brings back some of the hidden screen on the left but still leaves much hidden and a small back band on the right. Some of the buttons move the image, but only to a point, but some of the buttons look like they're supposed to do something but when I click them, the screen flashes and nothing else occurs.

The monitor has been used with multiple computers in the past at full resolution using its default positioning settings so I assume it is not at fault, I can also fix the problem in Windows by setting the display to 800*600 but that's not fun to say the least, not sure what else I can do except get a graphics card.

I've always been an nVidia man myself because the last time I had a Radeon there was other weirdness but nothing like this. Tempted to get a GeForce 720 or similar and try that.

Can anyone offer other suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

Check if you can source the .inf file from the monitor manufacturer and install that to see if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

You should be able to adjust the image placement on the monitor itself

There should be an auto adjust button on the monitor itself that will correct this. Or use a DVI cable if you can.

Advertisement