Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kitten questions

• 22-05-2016 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭

I rescued a kitten last year. She was around 4 weeks old when I found her. She is around 8 months old now.
    First thing I was wondering is when I should switch her to adult food? She is on Applaws kitten food on the recommendation of a poster here. When I google it I get various answers.
    I was also wondering how to get her to stop biting and scratching, I know this is normal kitten behaviour and that it takes time but maybe someone has some advice.
    She also isn't very affectionate, when we first got her she would purr in my arms but she doesn't purr anymore :( I don't know why she stopped purring but she doesn't purr at all now. She doesn't like being petted as she attacks you with her paws. I think this is something she will hopefully grow out of but I guess I need the reassurance! She is better with being lifted now for a short time but only with certain people.. mostly only me!
    Thanks for any advice!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Adult food; usually aorund 12 months but the difference is quite small.

Bitching/scratching is most likely play related; make sure you have plenty of scratch poles (and tall ones at that to make sure can properly stretch out on them) and if she starts biting stop petting/playing as she sees your hands as part of the play.

Petting; try to only scratch her head rather than full body petting as this often overstimulates cats. Keep an eye on her tail, if it starts going back and forth faster and faster you're overstimulating her so stop petting and wait until it calms down again.

Purring; depends on cats, some simply stop for some reason :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Reassurance on purring - some kittens get very rambunctious and affection isn't at the top of their priority list. But as they get older and settle down a bit, they get more affectionate. My cat Gryphon is like this. I got him at 2.5 weeks old and he was a firecracker from the start - not interested in lap sitting, being held or petted, or purring at all.
    But over time, he began to come to me, very affectionately, purring loudly, looking for pets. At first it was maybe once a week (and at 4am, of course), and it got more frequent from there.
    He just turned 3 in April and now every morning when I get up, he's there purring away, wanting pets and head scratches. When I come home from work, same thing. At all other times he is either sleeping or being his firecracker-self. He's still never shown any interested in sitting in my lap, but he will rest his head on my foot or hold my foot with his paws if I'm on my bed and he's sleeping at the end of it.

So there's hope! Just let your kitten be the kitten she wants to be, and I think she will find a way to show you affection.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

Thank you both for your reassurance! I love her so much, she is so cute but she seems to only really allow me to pick her up, she scratches and bites everyone else and sometimes me if I hold her for too long! But I do know she will get better. I got her some more toys, although sometimes my feet are the best entertainment for her :p Next thing is getting her to go to the toilet outside :)
    Thanks for the advice!

Advertisement