Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Practice for IELTS

Options
  • 22-05-2016 3:06pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Is there any need for an English speaking person to practice for this test? If so would appreciate advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Yes. The way the tests are performed is quite different to how you'd imagine. It's a lot of reading, understanding, and extracting the information they want you to. To get the highest score you need to score something like 95% and most people with english as their first language would struggle to do this WITH practice.

A friend of mine has been teaching English for 8 years and is waiting to do his test, has been practicing and even he says to score the 95% would be difficult even for him with his years of English teaching experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sunsetter

Yes, you have to put in quite a bit of effort if you need to get all 7's in the IELTS, even if you are a native speaker.

I done it and got all 9's (100%) and I can tell you how I done it..

Basically I bought the 'The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS Student's Book' for about e50 and in the space of two weeks I studied it back to back. It has a lot of practice questions etc. including the listening.

Treat it as a college or leaving cert exam. Have a good nights sleep beforehand and get there with plenty of time. Enjoy the exam and the fact that you are a native speaker and as such, you could get 100% if you put in the effort.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

sunsetter wrote: »
    Yes, you have to put in quite a bit of effort if you need to get all 7's in the IELTS, even if you are a native speaker.

I done did it and got all 9's (100%) and I can tell you how I done did it..

Basically I bought the 'The Official Cambridge Guide to IELTS Student's Book' for about e50 and in the space of two weeks I studied it back to back. It has a lot of practice questions etc. including the listening.

Treat it as a college or leaving cert exam. Have a good nights sleep beforehand and get there with plenty of time. Enjoy the exam and the fact that you are a native speaker and as such, you could get 100% if you put in the effort.

Best of luck

Are you sure you received 100%? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19 sunsetter

pete4130 wrote: »
    sunsetter wrote: »

I done did it and got all 9's (100%) and I can tell you how I done did it..

Best of luck

Are you sure you received 100%? :D

You get the bonus point! Must have made you feel nice and fuzzy to spot that! ( or did I omit 'have' due to hiberno-english shorthand?). Would perhaps lose marks but note that there are marks for natural english so if you talk like a robot you will also lose marks.

Didn't seem to make any mistakes in my exam so have a nice shiny 100% 9/9/9/9 exam result

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ruthie23

I assume you are sitting the IELTS to gain additional points for a skilled visa. If you haven't already booked your test consider doing the Pearson academic as opposed to the IELTS. My clients passed the test first time round with Pearson and the majority fail to score 7 in each subject in IELTS
    Hope this helps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭crazy8

Is the Pearson Academic test also recognised in the independent skilled (189) visa? I thought it was just the IELTS Academic, or IELTS General.

Yes it is recognised . Most people don't know it it and hence its not very popular . Best of luck ! The scoring is a little different ! You will find more info on the department website

Yes it is recognised . Most people don't know it it and hence its not very popular . Best of luck ! The scoring is a little different ! You will find more info on the department website

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭crazy8

I'll check it out, cheers!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭JakeArmitage

ruthie23 wrote: »
    I assume you are sitting the IELTS to gain additional points for a skilled visa. If you haven't already booked your test consider doing the Pearson academic as opposed to the IELTS. My clients passed the test first time round with Pearson and the majority fail to score 7 in each subject in IELTS
    Hope this helps

How is it different, is it easier?

• Advertisement

I have never done either. Apparently the format is easier as your not in a large room with others and you can manage your time better

Advertisement