Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop

Options
  • 22-05-2016 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭

Budget:Max 350

Intended use: college work, gaming such as CS:GO and Star wars battlefront 2
    Mobility: mobility is not important
    Warranty: Not important

What Operating System do you use? Windows

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

Alpha8 wrote: »

You'll need a bigger budget than 350 if you're wanting to play games on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

n1ck wrote: »

To be fair, those games are quite old and will run on almost anything. A modern i3 with integrated graphics will make short work of them.

OP: You should look for a Core i3(minimum), and try and get an 8GB of RAM model. Although if you can't get 8GB of RAM you could upgrade it yourself (just make sure this is possible, a lot of laptops no longer allow you to do this).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

n1ck wrote: »

That depends entirely on the game.

CS GO was released in 2012 and Battlefront 2 was released in 2005

CS GO isn't the most demanding game in the world but any new laptop at the 350 euro price range will really struggle, but if you went for a refurb, you could get an AMD A10 8700p which will play that game at medium settings getting more than 30fps

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/HP-Envy-15-ah000sa-15-6-Laptop-AMD-A10-8700P-1-8GHz-8GB-RAM-1TB-Silver-Grade-C-/141982864519

If you buy new you'll be limited to celerons or pentiums at this price range which won't play any modern FPS games well. (should be fine with battlefront 2 though)

Just be really careful with potential refurbs. Buy a manufacturer refurb only, and only off a decent seller with a warranty.

I've used the seller in the link above and I got a great laptop for less than 300 euros, listed as grade b but without a scratch on it, but that's just my experience from one transaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I agree with the above, the A10 laptop for €350 would run CS:Go at med-high setting at 60fps.

A new i3 laptop for €350 with integrated graphics wouldn't fare as well. Especially when the company above offer a 1 year warranty, it's a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Alpha8

Alright , Thanks for the tips everyone !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

I’m doing a lot of research really getting nowhere ...
    if one laptop had an SSD drive then only 4GB DRIVE , a further search seems to say , you need an 8 GB DRIVE , as 4 is too small!
    I want to spend 400.

It’s just for word processing , light ... like to download tunes , and general googling ...

I have a very fast broadband and ideally would like the machine to be fast ...

Can you recommend something that’s fast with reasonable screen ... not overly pushed on looks ... light or heavy doesn’t matter , just be on table at home ....

Many thks

Paddy

I’m doing a lot of research really getting nowhere ...
    if one laptop had an SSD drive then only 4GB DRIVE , a further search seems to say , you need an 8 GB DRIVE , as 4 is too small!
    I want to spend 400.

It’s just for word processing , light ... like to download tunes , and general googling ...

I have a very fast broadband and ideally would like the machine to be fast ...

Can you recommend something that’s fast with reasonable screen ... not overly pushed on looks ... light or heavy doesn’t matter , just be on table at home ....

Many thks

Paddy

8gb is the ram. for your budget you won't get 8gb ram. 4gb is enough for your needs.

spend 420 to get this. it has an ssd drive hard drive for faster operation and the cpu is fast enough for what you're doing.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-330s-14-intel-pentium-gold-laptop-128-gb-ssd-blue-10180843-pdt.html

glasso wrote: »
    8gb is the ram. for your budget you won't get 8gb ram. 4gb is enough for your needs.

spend 420 to get this. it has an ssd drive hard drive for faster operation and the cpu is fast enough for what you're doing.

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/lenovo-ideapad-330s-14-intel-pentium-gold-laptop-128-gb-ssd-blue-10180843-pdt.html

Oh wow just looked at that ! Seems ideal indeed ..I see no word comes with it ,unfortunately ... I have a old word processor Cd, not sure if it would work ... do you really need word?
    Thks a lot

Paddy

Alpha8 wrote: »

there is a decent option of refurbished ryzen 2500u laptop with 8gb ram and full hd screen here

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-15-db0996na-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B07JPB1K8R/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1542563192&sr=8-3&keywords=refurbished+ryzen+laptop

380£ is about 422 euro but it's worth the extra money in the long run.

the 2500u has decent graphics capability.

it even has a spare m.2 slot so you could add in a cheap m.2 sata 2280 ssd stick for faster windows operation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Oh wow just looked at that ! Seems ideal indeed ..I see no word comes with it ,unfortunately ... I have a old word processor Cd, not sure if it would work ... do you really need word?
    Thks a lot

Paddy

Check adverts for legitimate office 2016 sellers

http://www.adverts.ie/16320601

• Advertisement

Thks a lot

Paddy

ms office doensn't come with pcs free.

if you have an old ms office licence you can transfer for free to new pc.
    just get the licence key with this free software https://www.magicaljellybean.com/

then go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/office if it's office 2010

and use the key

otherwise download and use free libreoffice which has a word proc very like word and opens and saves in ms word formats

or with the cd that you have copy the disc image to a usb key or hard drive and mount in windows on the new machine as modern laptops don't come with cd/dvd drives - you will have to google how to do this

ms office doensn't come with pcs free.

if you have an old ms office licence you can transfer for free to new pc.
    just get the licence key with this free software https://www.magicaljellybean.com/

then go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/office if it's office 2010

and use the key

otherwise download and use free libreoffice which has a word proc very like word and opens and saves in ms word formats

or with the cd that you have copy the disc image to a usb key or hard drive and mount in windows on the new machine as modern laptops don't come with cd/dvd drives - you will have to google how to do this

Super , thanks

Super , thanks

Gone to 479 !!! From 418 in Curry’s today .... watch the prices lads joke !!!!!

still on website for 419 as I can see

but this is probably a better deal now for 380

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-da0594sa-15-6-intel-core-i3-laptop-1-tb-hdd-silver-10184692-pdt.html

full hd screen and i3 chip. bit heavier than lenovo tho.

the hp has (confirmed) a spare m.2 slot to add plug in a sata ssd stick like this to make it have a faster hard drive. you leave the existing one in place for storage. stick less than 30 euro

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TCSUNBOW-12...=2280+sata+ssd

you just open it up (screws) and plug in. check youtube as someone will have done a video. simple. copy windows over to that ssd drive then. it's not difficult. better to do at start when less stuff installed on the laptop.

still on website for 419 as I can see

but this is probably a better deal now for 380

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing/laptops/laptops/hp-15-da0594sa-15-6-intel-core-i3-laptop-1-tb-hdd-silver-10184692-pdt.html

full hd screen and i3 chip. bit heavier than lenovo tho.

the hp has (confirmed) a spare m.2 slot to add plug in a sata ssd stick like this to make it have a faster hard drive. you leave the existing one in place for storage. stick less than 30 euro

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TCSUNBOW-12...=2280+sata+ssd

you just open it up (screws) and plug in. check youtube as someone will have done a video. simple. copy windows over to that ssd drive then. it's not difficult. better to do at start when less stuff installed on the laptop.

Just ordered on amazon 387 thanks
    330s

Omg thanks so much !!! Just cancelled and reserved in Argos !! Love boards !! Just saved 135 euro today !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭liam7831

Omg thanks so much !!! Just cancelled and reserved in Argos !! Love boards !! Just saved 135 euro today !!!

Is that a good deal? In the market for a laptop myself for general use

yes. it's a good deal. doesn't have a full hd 1080p screen but for the money it's very good.

a decent laptop with fast ssd drive and a decent cpu for 343 in Ireland in a b&m shop - very good.

will run fast and smooth and do browsing, streaming, ms office stuff without a bother.

only 4 gb ram but that is enough to run windows

I have an 8gb laptop but my ram never goes over about 45% with say 15 chrome tabs open and a video player running also so 4gb is fine for general use.

it's a black friday week deal so will be there until 27th Nov or until stocks run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Would the HP with added sata ssd stick be worth the extra hundred odd euro though??

• Advertisement

Would the HP with added sata ssd stick be worth the extra hundred odd euro though??

personally I would say yes due to the full hd screen. even though it's not ips a full hd screen means more resolution and better for general working and watching media.

in addition then you have 1tb for storage in the hp whilst running windows and most used programs off the smaller ssd.

as well as a cpu that is a bit better (but the one in the lenovo is more than enough for general stuff)

it won't be an extra 100 - it would be 380 + 30 = 410. vs 343

so only 67 euro in it.

link for sata m.2 stick here again

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TCSUNBOW-120GB-Desktop-MacPro-N8/dp/B01N5KLUO8/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1542640837&sr=8-5&keywords=sata+m.2+ssd+120gb

gave instructions in other thread but putting here also

the way to do it would be to stick in m.2 stick and then clone the existing drive over.

this software seems to be free for 30 days. there are other options but this should work fine.

https://windowsreport.com/move-windows-10-ssd/

then change the boot option to the new ssd in the bios which you access when the computer boots up from being powered off - usually by pressing f12.

just change the boot option to the ssd.

then you can delete all files off or format the existing 1tb hard drive once you see that windows is booting and working fine off the new ssd stick. keep the space on the stick for windows and programs that are in use regularly.

you could always spend another 13 £ on the bigger 240gb stick option (option on same page) also if you want to have more leeway on ssd available storage.

Day two , on the 330S. Yes very fast. Keyboard not back lit. (Didn't really know about that till young lad mentioned it!) No Ethernet
    plug. You can get them around 20 quid.

Probably wrong forum , (oh and WPS software does instead of word!) I wondered , if when I use chrome , my preference , dont like edge
    and I want to say save "boards ie" on to my desktop for ease of use , I am right clicking , save as , desktop , it saves as a google chrome , icon - Boards ....its ok , it was handier on Internet Explorer....seems to duplicate the shortcuts , is there a handy way to put your usual/favourite sites on desktop fir fast access...thks

Day two , on the 330S. Yes very fast. Keyboard not back lit. (Didn't really know about that till young lad mentioned it!) No Ethernet
    plug. You can get them around 20 quid.

Probably wrong forum , (oh and WPS software does instead of word!) I wondered , if when I use chrome , my preference , dont like edge
    and I want to say save "boards ie" on to my desktop for ease of use , I am right clicking , save as , desktop , it saves as a google chrome , icon - Boards ....its ok , it was handier on Internet Explorer....seems to duplicate the shortcuts , is there a handy way to put your usual/favourite sites on desktop fir fast access...thks

Chrome - more tools - create shortcut.

usb to ethernet on ebay or amazon cheaper. most new laptops don't have ethernet as std anymore.

not going to get backlit keyboard on a budget laptop.

did you download Libreoffice yeah?

Not seeing , more tools , thks , good points

found them lol

one other quick one !! no problem yesterday , trying three different iPhone 6 cables ..keep getting last USB device malfunctioned trying to use iTunes.
    not cables , all ok yesterday.

device manager
    usb
    update drivers
    tried it..
    as you expect all up to date

cant use itunes now , any suggestions

thks

paddy

don't know tbh. don't care for apple's locked-down system so don't have any of their products.

I'd maybe google apple iphone drivers and download and pick that driver for device (have on my computer) on right-click update driver in device manager

or try this

https://www.technipages.com/itunes-fix-iphone-or-ipad-not-detected-in-windows

it was working perfectly yesterday evening not sure why its happening. my android screen is broken , im going to get it fixed today not apple fan either thks though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 MichaelS11

personally I would say yes due to the full hd screen. even though it's not ips a full hd screen means more resolution and better for general working and watching media.

in addition then you have 1tb for storage in the hp whilst running windows and most used programs off the smaller ssd.

as well as a cpu that is a bit better (but the one in the lenovo is more than enough for general stuff)

it won't be an extra 100 - it would be 380 + 30 = 410. vs 343

so only 67 euro in it.

link for sata m.2 stick here again

Hi Glasso,

Im actually looking at that HP right now. Would you have any concerns about a TCSUNBOW SDD? Would it be better to maybe spend an extra 40/50 with Black Friday today and get a 125gb Samsung?

Also, theres another HP with currys for 479 with a 128GB SDD preinstalled. I don' think this is worth the extra 100, but I have read that this model has 2 DIMMs inside with only one occupied with the 4GB module. So it should be very cheap and easy in the future to add more RAM.

Maybe you know if this HP for 379 is the same?

Any advice appreciated

Advertisement