Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop

2»

Comments

MichaelS11 wrote: »
    Hi Glasso,

Im actually looking at that HP right now. Would you have any concerns about a TCSUNBOW SDD? Would it be better to maybe spend an extra 40/50 with Black Friday today and get a 125gb Samsung?

Also, theres another HP with currys for 479 with a 128GB SDD preinstalled. I don' think this is worth the extra 100, but I have read that this model has 2 DIMMs inside with only one occupied with the 4GB module. So it should be very cheap and easy in the future to add more RAM.

Maybe you know if this HP for 379 is the same?

Any advice appreciated

the 379 HP 15-da0594sa has 2 rams slots accorging to crucial
    http://eu.crucial.com/eur/en/compatible-upgrade-for/HP-Compaq/hp-15-da0594sa

I wouldn't worry about the weird brand name. they make a lot of well-regarded ssd products. but you can buy what you want just make sure it's a 2280 ssd sata stick. watch out for the WD Green model - it's slow as it's green/low energy.

here's a list of ssds by TCSUNBOW - look at the review scores https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=TCSUNBOW

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MichaelS11

glasso wrote: »
    the 379 HP 15-da0594sa has 2 rams slots accorging to crucial

I wouldn't worry about the weird brand name. they make a lot of well-regarded ssd products. but you can buy what you want just make sure it's a 2280 ssd sata stick. watch out for the WD Green model - it's slow as it's green/low energy.

here's a list of ssds by TCSUNBOW - look at the review scores

That's very helpful. I really appreciate it as i'm on a budget and trying to get back for my buck. I hope to start getting into the Adobe Suite and want something that'll handle it with browsing etc. in background.

Would I have any benefit of having the 1TB HDD in the one for 379, as opposed to the straight 128 sdd on the 479 model?

The newer 8 gen processor in the one for 479 seems to be a good bit better according to userbenchmark website, so maybe it's worth it for the the extra.

Again, I appreciate the help very much

MichaelS11 wrote: »
    That's very helpful. I really appreciate it as i'm on a budget and trying to get back for my buck. I hope to start getting into the Adobe Suite and want something that'll handle it with browsing etc. in background.

Would I have any benefit of having the 1TB HDD in the one for 379, as opposed to the straight 128 sdd on the 479 model?

The newer 8 gen processor in the one for 479 seems to be a good bit better according to userbenchmark website, so maybe it's worth it for the the extra.

Again, I appreciate the help very much

what's the cpu in the other one?

having 1tb storage is handy as the ssd of 128gb is small. so having both inside the machine instead of having to use a usb hd is useful

link to other laptop?

if it's the one with the i3 8130u - wouldn't say that there is too much of a difference. only when you go to the 4-core i5 u chips would you notice a big improvement. all the i3 chips are 2 core. 5000 vs 3800 on the passmark would not all that noticeable I would say altho more is always better. the 8130 does have a turbo speed but the u mobile chips can only run on turbo for a brief time.

photo editing would be ok on either - video editing involving trans coding would be a challenge tho on either.

but 3800 vs a lower chip like 2400 would as going down the scale windows won't run that well.

the 4 core chips would be in the 7500+ passmark range.

comparison
    https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i3-8130U-vs-Intel-i3-7100U-vs-Intel-i5-8250U/3225vs2879vs3042

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MichaelS11

what's the cpu in the other one?

having 1tb storage is handy as the ssd of 128gb is small. so having both inside the machine instead of having to use a usb hd is useful

link to other laptop?

if it's the one with the i3 8130u - wouldn't say that there is too much of a difference. only when you go to the 4-core i5 u chips would you notice a big improvement. all the i3 chips are 2 core. 5000 vs 3800 on the passmark would not all that noticable.

but 3800 vs a lower chip like 2400 would as going down the scale windows won't run that well.

the 4 core chips would be in the 7500+ passmark range.

Yes, you correct. It's the 8130U.

I can't post link as I'm new to the forum.

I may take your word for it and go with the cheaper on and order an SSD an extra 4GB RAM. Would hope that would be a decent running machine without putting too much pressure on it

by the way - somebody was on to me by pm as they bought the hp i3 and the m.2 ssd stick that I had suggested as a combo.

the ssd stick wasn't detected.

after a couple of suggestions it seems that updates from hp were required.

probably was a bios update that did the trick.

then the ssd was dectected / worked

just fyi for anyone who bought this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

by the way - somebody was on to me by pm as they bought the hp i3 and the m.2 ssd stick that I had suggested as a combo.

the ssd stick wasn't detected.

after a couple of suggestions it seems that updates from hp were required.

probably was a bios update that did the trick.

then the ssd was dectected / worked

just fyi for anyone who bought this.

Fair play dude, good info to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Moneyman25

hey glasso still trying to get the laptop to boot from the SSD. Your inbox is full!

Tried a couple of things from the HP forums but when I choose the SSD as destination to boot from I get the message no bootable device detected.

Cant understand why HP make this so difficult or maybe I am doing something wrong?

If anyone has any pointers on this or worked on getting HP laptops to boot from SSD instead of HDD , it would be greatly appreciated.

Moneyman25 wrote: »
    hey glasso still trying to get the laptop to boot from the SSD. Your inbox is full!

Tried a couple of things from the HP forums but when I choose the SSD as destination to boot from I get the message no bootable device detected.

Cant understand why HP make this so difficult or maybe I am doing something wrong?

If anyone has any pointers on this or worked on getting HP laptops to boot from SSD instead of HDD , it would be greatly appreciated.

this is unusual as there should not be a problem on selecting the ssd to boot from.

I would suggest maybe trying to get an answer from the hp forums?

had sent you this - not sure if was received

maybe check this out

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebo...d/td-p/5850846

Please follow the steps below to see the SSD in boot options.

Boot to bios and go to boot options
    Disable secure boot and enable legacy support
    Save the changes and restart the computer.

Now when you start the computer and go to boot options by pressing F9 you should see the SSD there.

Follow the link above for more info

found this also. seems like this could be a hp thing and unnecessarily awkward

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Unable-To-Boot-From-M-2/td-p/6290506

1. F9 in Startup Menu
    2. Boot from UEFI file
    3. Search through a ridiculously long file name (looking for "PCI") to find M.2 - PCI needs to be listed twice
    4. Click <EFI>
    5. Click <Boot>
    6. Should only be one option - mine said "bootx64.efi"
    7. It will boot one time with the M.2
    8. Use DISKPART in CMD to remove all partitions from the old HD or else it will always boot from the original drive (unless you remove it)
    9. Presto! Now it will default to the M.2

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Moneyman25

Hi glasso,

I tried your first reply and that gave me no bootable disk detected.

I will try the second reply this evening and let you know how I get on.

why HP put an SSD slot in the laptop if they make it this difficult to use it to boot from is a mystery to me!

Also, thanks very much for all your help with this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement