Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda vetting form and conviction over 10 years ago.

• 22-05-2016 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi everyone,
    I am looking for some advice please. In 2005 I was convicted of drink driving. I was 1mg over the limit and had a 3month ban and fine of €200. I was in college in England when my ban was active. When I returned home, I began teaching in 2006 and only got my vetting through in 2008. I had asked a local Garda and he said not to put it on the vetting form as it was a road traffic offence. I followed his advice. However, when it did come back it was on my vetting form. I rang the teaching council and they said it should have no impact on my teaching career.
    I haven't had a drink of any sort since and was never a big drinker. I was at a bbq and went to put air in my tyre for the next morning. No excuse I know. I made a stupid mistake and I have paid for it every day since and I still am. I suffered from depression and had to attend counselling.
    My question is this. I have been teaching in the same school since I began my teaching career and now I would like to change schools. I haven't looked for up to date vetting as I am afraid it will show up on it. Is there the same system here as in the UK for offences, i.e. If you don't reoffend/have other convictions then it kind of 'disappears' after a certain length of time. I have not had so much as a parking ticket or speeding ticket or anything since.
    Thank you for reading and for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Hi everyone,
    I am looking for some advice please. In 2005 I was convicted of drink driving. I was 1mg over the limit and had a 3month ban and fine of €200. I was in college in England when my ban was active. When I returned home, I began teaching in 2006 and only got my vetting through in 2008. I had asked a local Garda and he said not to put it on the vetting form as it was a road traffic offence. I followed his advice. However, when it did come back it was on my vetting form. I rang the teaching council and they said it should have no impact on my teaching career.
    I haven't had a drink of any sort since and was never a big drinker. I was at a bbq and went to put air in my tyre for the next morning. No excuse I know. I made a stupid mistake and I have paid for it every day since and I still am. I suffered from depression and had to attend counselling.
    My question is this. I have been teaching in the same school since I began my teaching career and now I would like to change schools. I haven't looked for up to date vetting as I am afraid it will show up on it. Is there the same system here as in the UK for offences, i.e. If you don't reoffend/have other convictions then it kind of 'disappears' after a certain length of time. I have not had so much as a parking ticket or speeding ticket or anything since.
    Thank you for reading and for your help.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2016/act/4/enacted/en/html

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nervouslady

Thank you Pro Hoc Vice.
    I think from reading the article that I will be given a second chance.
    I will hopefully be able to sleep better and will be able to move forward in my career. It is such a weight off my shoulders.
    Thank you again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Did not think this got pass before the most recent election ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

Did not think this got pass before the most recent election ?

http://www.justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/PR16000094

Was commenced in last days of caretaker government.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Rega

So if you're applying for motor tax online and they ask "Have you ever had a conviction for a motoring offence?" can you say, No?

If your slate is wiped clean, so to say, is there any way for the insurance company to find out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,612 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rega wrote: »
    So if you're applying for motor tax online and they ask "Have you ever had a conviction for a motoring offence?" can you say, No?

If your slate is wiped clean, so to say, is there any way for the insurance company to find out?

If it meets the spent conviction requirements, you can say no and they cannot (legally) find out without you divulging.

You need to be absolutely certain it is spent as lying to an insurer about a disclosable conviction is an extremely bad idea.

Advertisement