Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App development, no programming knowledge

Options
  • 22-05-2016 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭

I'm 18, I've had this idea for an app for quite awhile and I've sussed out quite a bit to do with it. I have yet to do any marketing research/ surveys etc but from my general consensus it's a niche in high demand waiting to be filled.
    It's very feasible as it works on similar schematics as other apps in different fields.

I have a basic idea of computer programming but nowhere near enough to get the app up and running.
    I was thinking of outsourcing it.
    I'd need to get it patented first, as well as figuring out its projections and margins etc.

I'm diving into the deep end I know but it's something I want to try. I just don't know how and there's nobody around me with any knowledge in this field.

Any idea on where to get started/how to go about finding its feasibility/viability?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Joseph

I don't think there is going to be anything you can patent.

Outsourcing will cost money. Basic app 5-20k and upwards from there.

I bet you would be able to learn the skills to build a really basic version of the app yourself, known as an MVP (Google), in order to get some feedback and build on that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

A possible first step would be to build yourself a prototype. marvelapp.com is brilliant for doing so

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You can bet your bottom dollar its been done before and is not a novel idea. I don't mean that to discourage you, its to highlight that execution is key. Ever heard of Magic Cab? Probably not. But that was around before Uber and had a reasonable user base in LA. Uber then came along and executed the same idea in a far better fashion and they are what they are today. A couple of years ago, I programmed a version of what is now better known as Hailo. I still have the source code in Objective C on DropBox somewhere. The reason I'm not where Hailo is today is partly the execution (I didn't push hard enough and I wasn't in the right place to do so) and partly I knew I could never possibly complete (Our Go Live was to be scheduled right when we learned a partner in Skype was backing a large part of Hailo's start up)

Apps are great, but they are a dime a dozen. People don't want to pay for the app directly, another learning curve from another project of mine. If you want Ad revenue, you need a massive user base(One hundred thousand or more really) If your App is aimed at businesses and you can license in that manner, then you have a far easier method of generating revenue especially with the correct model in place.

Another note, you say you don't have programming experience, remember the App does not stop at the device itself. It is needs an on line connection e.g. Data from a Database etc, this needs to be factored in. A few devices querying a database is simple, but if you have maybe 10,000 devices doing the same, you need to plan your network requirements. One of my Apps had about 11 million calls to the database per month at peak. Aside from this, you need to design, brand and market the App. I'd consider myself a good programmer but I'm a hopeless UI designer.

Feel free to PM me if you would like a chat about the App world in general. Happy to help out if I can or give some pointers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

ironclaw wrote: »
    A couple of years ago, I programmed a version of what is now better known as Hailo. I still have the source code in Objective C on DropBox somewhere. The reason I'm not where Hailo is today is partly the execution (I didn't push hard enough and I wasn't in the right place to do so) and partly I knew I could never possibly complete (Our Go Live was to be scheduled right when we learned a partner in Skype was backing a large part of Hailo's start up)

Hailo also received over 40m in funding which allowed them to do a carefully planned roll out across capital cities.

OP, have a look at places like myapptemplates.com and you'll probably find something similar to what you want.

Advertisement