Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AN POST RAS 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

Back to reality for the county men today - first home was 14th with 6 sent home for missing time cut

so it'd be right to assume (based on the size of the last groups in) that its not the last 6 in this list?

http://www.stickybottle.com/races-results/full-results-stage-3-an-post-ras-charleville-to-dingle-133-2km/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Clicking through on Strava and found this report from Derek Joyce in his description, makes great reading.

I always like to hear about the back end of the race as these are the guys I sometimes race with and who make me suffer ! Great to see them get some of their own medicine :D

"What a day, survived it on hands and knees.
    On paper plan was simple, get to 50km and put in all out effort for cat3, survive that which would get me too 120km point within bunch.

Within 20km the big teams tried to splt the race to bits, a bloody tail wind to make matters worse. And 1st 30km was a good few hidden climbs, in any other race they be cat2's. Got into trouble at the 30km point on a hidden 3km 3% climb, chewing the handlebars but could not hang on and blew few 100mtrs from the crest. It might be a 130km race but its this decisive moment decided the faith for the day and ther difference between a faster & more manageable spin.

End up with group of 30, I was not the only one to get into trouble, alot more has cracked well before me.

We still averaged 40kph, for 75% of the time we averaged 47kph. Strava is great with its stats. You win any national race in Ireland with that.
    We rode the Conor pass 7km descend into the finish @ 68kph to get in as quick as possible, is anything worth that sort of maddness.

Some in our group could not hang on, had to be left behind. Unfortunaly, they did not make it, eliminated and are packing for home now.

Tomorrow is brutual on paper, no idea what big teams wll do. Did it 3 weeks ago and know exactly what to expect.

We'in in hotel right at that star wars thingy outside Dingle. It looks weird from here and not an interest in the world in going to see it, the cat3 after 8km tomorrow is alot more importasnt for now."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

1bryan wrote: »
    so it'd be right to assume (based on the size of the last groups in) that its not the last 6 in this list?

http://www.stickybottle.com/races-results/full-results-stage-3-an-post-ras-charleville-to-dingle-133-2km/

You're correct

see the bottom of this page:

http://www.anpost.ie/AnPost/IrishCyclingRas/Results/Stage+3/

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Take a look at @anpostras's Tweet: https://twitter.com/anpostras/status/735410005910917120?s=09

And we're off, I'd expect action straight away with the first KOM only 8km in

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Tough on the lads being eliminated. If you're struggling, it's often the first 50km or so that's the hardest part of every stage, surviving the early KOMs or waiting for the bunch to settle after a break is gone. If you're dropped too early in the day, you can really find yourself in trouble.

Today and tomorrow are going to be hard for a lot of the domestic riders. Early KOMs both days.

Tough on the lads being eliminated. If you're struggling, it's often the first 50km or so that's the hardest part of every stage, surviving the early KOMs or waiting for the bunch to settle after a break is gone. If you're dropped too early in the day, you can really find yourself in trouble.

Today and tomorrow are going to be hard for a lot of the domestic riders. Early KOMs both days.

Its going to be extremely tough on the 2 Cavan lads left in the race.

• Advertisement

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,874 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

great to see them get lucky with the weather, pictures look unreal the last few days

bodies going to be tired tomorrow, still a few matches to be lit

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Vincenzo Nibbly

Plenty of Irish in the break again today, including Monday's stage-winner Eoin Morton.

https://twitter.com/anpostras/status/735818240723685376

Six leaders with 4km to go and a gap of 45"

Shaw could be in yellow if they can keep the gap above 29" !!

https://twitter.com/anpostras/status/735823573579931648

1st - Woulter Mol of CT Join-S
    2nd - Troels Ronning-Vinther of Denmark-Riwal
    3rd - Eoin Morton of UCD Fitzcycles

Another great result for Morton! Gap to the yellow jersey looks to have tumble considerably in the last couple of km.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Ooofff! So close for Shaw.
    Break came within 2 seconds of taking yellow but Fankhauser, fair play to him, worked like a dog to keep it it seems.
    Shaw third in GC now, tied on 2'' with Holmes (Madison?). Top ten is all very tight.

Damien Shaw lies just 2 seconds off the lead after today's stage!

https://twitter.com/anpostras/status/735831149658943488

Very tight, mount leinster is not late enough on the stage to really effect things. Can see it coming down to the 3 laps in Skerries and the Cat 3 hill.

With so many riders within 15s yellow jersey has a real job on his hands.

I'd put my money on one of the An Post boys.

I'd say you're right. Wouldn't it be great to see the national jersy winning it coming into Skerries!
    I think the Austrian team is fried now, can't see Fankhauser holding on this year. Aussie team seems to be going very well though and they also have 2 in top 10.

And James Gullen has been fairly quiet since Dingle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

Is there any television highlights? I thought it would be shown on TG4 but nothing so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    Is there any television highlights? I thought it would be shown on TG4 but nothing so far

Not that I've found. Only what's on the anpostcycling youtube channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

That a massive group that trailed in - no stragglers suggested that were tapping along easy for a good while. Only about ten mins above the cut.

One poor divil is going home to tipp with arms like patsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

That a massive group that trailed in - no stragglers suggested that were tapping along easy for a good while. Only about ten mins above the cut.

One poor divil is going home to tipp with arms like patsy

Ahh, I was wondering about that.

Aussie team seems to be going very well though and they also have 2 in top 10.

they're riding a very controlled race. They seem to lead the chase every day and I don't think they've had anyone in a single break since the race started.

They're gonna have to attack at some point if they want to win it.

Look how spread out they are in the stage results page. There always seems to be 2 riders in the front groups with the other 3 coming in over 20 mins down. Its clear enough what their plan has been to date, but what will they do to actually try and win the race?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭Plastik

Dunbar up the road in a three man move with Daire Feeley and Kennett of NZ - over 4 minutes on the bunch. 50k of 158k raced!

Plastik wrote: »
    Dunbar up the road in a three man move with Daire Feeley and Kennett of NZ - over 4 minutes on the bunch. 50k of 158k raced!

Has to be suicide on a mainly flat stage with at least 5-6 teams with good reason to not let him gain time.

I know he's on home roads but come on. Every picture I've seen of this break Dunbar is leading, I hope that that's just the camera focusing on the biggest name.

It'd be very annoying if he puts all the good work so far into a "look at me" attack that the other teams are only to happy to see him tire himself out in. I'd say his DS and teammates will want to kick his hole for him.

I'd be happy to be proved wrong!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Bunch splitting.
    Eddie is burning legs today :-D

Planet X wrote: »
    Bunch splitting.
    Eddie is burning legs today :-D

Gap disappearing. Hopefully most of Irish Team made it into the bunch of 30 or so catching them now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,073 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

how is eoin morton doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Gullen on the attack with 20kms to go ( I think the man to beat)...cmon Damien Shaw :)

Aaron Gate (An Post CRC) took it in a bunch sprint. Brochner and Holmes 2nd and 3rd.
    No change on GC.
    Group of 4 GC hopefuls had 40 seconds on yellow jersey towards the end but were caught inside final kms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Aaron Gate (An Post CRC) took it in a bunch sprint. Brochner and Holmes 2nd and 3rd.
    No change on GC.
    Group of 4 GC hopefuls had 40 seconds on yellow jersey towards the end but were caught inside final kms.
    Another fruitless day for Eddie 'moto 1' Dunbar ?!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

greenspurs wrote: »
    Another fruitless day for Eddie 'moto 1' Dunbar ?!

Yeah but let's not forget he's just turned 20. Let him ride. He has plenty of time to build his tactical nous.

Yeah but let's not forget he's just turned 20. Let him ride. He has plenty of time to build his tactical nous.

Ah no, I think he's been given enough excuses. It's gone past exhuberance now to a weapon other teams can use against him. This wasn't just inexperience it was crazy stuff - trying to go on a 140 km break (solo initially) when he's within touching distance of top spot with his team working hard for him all week. It's great he's got that attacking mentality (and I hope it doesn't get trounced out of him) but you'd have to think that's just being silly. Even Cancellara and Boonen wait til the 50 km mark!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭Taxuser1

to be fair to him, he might have been hoping that the harder first half of the stage would split the field as the second half was practically flat (to downhill) if a group did come up, he was going to be thereabouts in the front without losing time. Not the worst strategy to employ today

Taxuser1 wrote: »
    to be fair to him, he might have been hoping that the harder first half of the stage would split the field as the second half was practically flat (to downhill) if a group did come up, he was going to be thereabouts in the front without losing time. Not the worst strategy to employ today

Fair enough. Would've been easier to just follow the favourites though. Worked out for him anyway - hope he has legs for when it really matters in next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 628 ✭✭✭albert kidd

Ah no, I think he's been given enough excuses. It's gone past exhuberance now to a weapon other teams can use against him. This wasn't just inexperience it was crazy stuff - trying to go on a 140 km break (solo initially) when he's within touching distance of top spot with his team working hard for him all week. It's great he's got that attacking mentality (and I hope it doesn't get trounced out of him) but you'd have to think that's just being silly. Even Cancellara and Boonen wait til the 50 km mark!

even to mention cancellara/bonnen when comparing eddie is silly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 291 ✭✭victor201

Good sprint at end 😀

Advertisement