Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vine Weevil 2016

Options
  • 22-05-2016 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I have had Vine Weevil in the Garden for around 4 years now, I have read a lot of literature on the little gits and most of them state that you get them in pots, not in my Garden! They are in the borders also and eat all types of plants from Sedum to Hydrengea from Clematis to Rasberries, they seem to be the terminator of the insect world. I go out into the garden every Jan and kill the cream with brown head larvae and again in the summer at night with a torch like a nutter to kill the adults, but still they still live. I have tried a couple of pesticides to no avail, has anyone had much success with nematodes and do you find top dressing pots with gravel stops them from laying their eggs in the pots?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ponder013

The worst problem I my garden too. My soil is well worked with lots of organic stuff and a fine tilth - apparently this is perfect for wine weevils, no one ever believes I have them in the actual garden soil, but I'm infested.

Anyway, I had some success last year with sharp gravel, I laid about an inch of it around the strawberry bed and this year, all of them survived.:) I think it works because the females don't like to climb over it to lay their eggs at the neck of the plant

The nemotodes work, but it's expensive to use on the whole garden, and if you don't... well it only takes one little git to get to adulthood and you've got a garden full of the bloody larvae again.

I would suggest sharp gravel around your favourite plants and nematodes in the pots

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Rathvilly28

Thank you for your reply, glad it's not just me having them in open ground, I will try the gravel and nematodes and hopefully that will work as I have lost too many great plants at this stage. 😡ðŸ‘

Advertisement