Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Update to windows 10, laptop wont boot up

Options
  • 22-05-2016 8:23pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So my laptop decided upgrade to win 10 automatically (I'm sure I missed a prompt or something but still annoying). So i let it go at it. I've come back to it now and my laptop wont boot up, I get the error in the photo below. Any and all help appreciated!

Edit: was coming from win 8.1

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Microsoft moved it up to a Recommended update meaning your machine just pushed it in with regular security patches, they're being pretty nefarious at this point.

If its BSODing you could try safe mode but you'll likely need to create a W10 USB/CD with another PC and use that to repair the botched installation. Brew a nice big pot of coffee.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

ED E wrote: »
    Microsoft moved it up to a Recommended update meaning your machine just pushed it in with regular security patches, they're being pretty nefarious at this point.

If its BSODing you could try safe mode but you'll likely need to create a W10 USB/CD with another PC and use that to repair the botched installation. Brew a nice big pot of coffee.

Thanks for the reply!

Im trying to continue the upgrade from usb but im getting stuck at the point attached below. Basically i cant remove the media and restart normally because I just get the error in my op!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Did you try a MBR repair? We had a similar problem on an OptiPlex 990 machine and a repair of the master boot record fixed the problem.

Did you try a MBR repair? We had a similar problem on an OptiPlex 990 machine and a repair of the master boot record fixed the problem.

Following the advice here I did "BOOTREC /FIXMBR" via command prompt. doesn't seem to have helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

You need to do an integrity check from the install media.

8150d1415779102-command-prompt-boot-open-windows-10-a-windows_setup-2.jpg?

8146d1415778258-command-prompt-boot-open-windows-10-a-advanced_startup_options_command_prompt-1.jpg?

8147d1415778258t-command-prompt-boot-open-windows-10-a-advanced_startup_options_command_prompt-2.jpg?

8148d1415778268t-command-prompt-boot-open-windows-10-a-advanced_startup_options_command_prompt-3.jpg?

Then
    sfc.exe /scannow

• Advertisement

Sorry to say I've swallowed my pride and am paying for it to be fixed :o need it back up and running asap and can't afford to spend loads of time trying to figure it out myself.

Advertisement