Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dermatologist for treating acne?

Options
  • 22-05-2016 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a dermatologist for the treatment of what I think is adult acne?

I could go to a local beautician for facials but is a dermatologist much more expensive? And presumably more effective?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

Go to your doctor as you would do with any other medical condition. There are certain things that they can do for you and if they don't think they can help they will refer you to a good dermatologist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

I could go to a local beautician for facials but is a dermatologist much more expensive? And presumably more effective?

If you have acne than facials and beauticians are not going to sort out your skin. I made the mistake for years of buying over expensive treatments and products in the quest to cure my spots.

Go to your gp. They will either recommend a treatment for you or will refer you to as dermatologist. What part of Ireland are you in? You could try and find a gp with a speciality in dermatology.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I'm in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

I'd like to hijack this thread if that's okay (sorry if not); I'm considering visiting a derma for adult acne and I'm looking for recommendations and pricing if possible. I'm based in Carlow but I'd travel to Dublin if needed. Also, if anyone who has experience with Roaccutane could give me a rough idea of the monthly cost of the prescription, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

I've had acne for over 10 years. I'd tried everything within my financial means to treat it including over the counter creams/washes, antibiotics (which work but not recommended long term) and beauticians. In the beautician I had several courses of acid peels, microdermabrasion, laser treatment and paid for expensive luxury topical products. I spent literally thousand....but I may as well have burnt my money because it did sweet fudge all!

A couple of years ago before my wedding I went to see a dermatologist (you will need a GP reference) and it was the best decision I’ve ever made and the only one I’d recommend. I tried a couple of things but the only thing that worked for me is Trentinoin gel. I went through a couple of months where my skin was very dry and sensitive, it also broke out slightly more. But now my skin is honestly the best it has ever been, virtually no acne and it is also fading my red scars. My initial consultation with the dermatologist was 250euro, a lot I know but compared to the thousands I’ve spend on useless crap over the years its worth every penny. PM if you’d like his name, he came heavily recommended both online and by my GP.

My dermatologist is in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

I should also add that I didn't try roaccutane because I'm not medically suitable for it. My dermatologist said it really is his gold star treatment for acne as it works, but you must meet certain criteria to use it.

Also, because of the shortage of dermatologists in Ireland, waiting times can be very long. My dermatologist tends to rush acne patients as he knows that the longer we wait the more potential scarring can occur. But even so I was waiting 2 months, a long time for a private appointment!

....oh and to go publicly, over a year or longer :rolleyes: :(

Advertisement