Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on next rifle

Options
  • 22-05-2016 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Guys I'm starting to do a bit of investigating on my next rifle. I want something with a little more power than the 17HMR and was looking at maybe a .223.

Ammunition for it is not too expensive and if you want to go the range and put a load of round down range it won't break the bank.

What rifles are a good starting point. Don't want to spend 1000's but then again I know you get what you pay for.

Was looking at some of sites and they all seems to do the Remington 700 and Tikka T3. Lots of others also but those two seem to stand out.

Any advice would be really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

Can ranges take .223 rifles? I thought you could only shoot .22lr at ranges or am I wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Brasros

What will you use it for. For fox I would consider a Ruger 204. Rabbit the .17hmr.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 VBull

If its between the Rem 700 and Tikka T3 then i personally would go with the Tikka.

They seem to be better finished with more and more aftermarket parts becoming available.
    Luckysasha wrote: »
    Can ranges take .223 rifles? I thought you could only shoot .22lr at ranges or am I wrong.

It depends on the range and what distance they have and caliber they are licensed for.

The Midlands range is up to 1200yards (depending on firing point) and you can shoot 7mms and 30 cals (not sure what the upper limit is).

Look into the Fclass shooting, FTR is .223 or .308 at 1000 yards Fopen is any other suitable caliber at 1000yards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

VBull wrote: »
    If its between the Rem 700 and Tikka T3 then i personally would go with the Tikka.

They seem to be better finished with more and more aftermarket parts becoming available.

It depends on the range and what distance they have and caliber they are licensed for.

The Midlands range is up to 1200yards (depending on firing point) and you can shoot 7mms and 30 cals (not sure what the upper limit is).

Look into the Fclass shooting, FTR is .223 or .308 at 1000 yards Fopen is any other suitable caliber at 1000yards

That's impressive distances. I thought I was doing well hitting a bullseye at 70 yards !!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

PSXDupe wrote: »
    Any advice would be really appreciated
    Remington and Tikka are both good. A lot of lads like the Tikka for the accuracy and ability to upgrade with aftermarket parts however Remington have almost as many available.

As for which make well at the risk of being vague its what you like. Synthetic or timber stock, blued or stainless, 1:9 or 1:12, hunting or targets (or both), budget, etc.

There are also other brand which while not overly popular in terms of availability are just as good. Savage, Sabatti, Sako, Styer, etc.

What have you in mind?
    VBull wrote: »
    Up to .50 cal. :cool:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭PSXDupe

It'll be for Foxing but at the moment I'm only at the range, in the process of getting permissions and will also join the local gun club.

Budget is a consideration but also don't really want to buy something that'll I'll have to change it I wanted to push out target shooting too 300,400,500m.

I could be asking for the impossible

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

.223 for foxes and it will get you out too the distances your wanting to shoot to.
    CZ do a very good range of rifles and are not too expensive to buy, are accurate ,and have "set triggers" The barrel twist is 1-9 so you can shoot the heavy bullets

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

If it's still available (and it was only a couple of weeks back) you should consider getting the Ruger M77 Hawkeye at Jims Tackleshop. Brand new...supposedly looking for €500 with RRP of €1200. I am only posting this to remove the temptation for myself :p

The specific post is http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=99243323&postcount=40 with the picture at the end.

The thread was renewed from 2014 at post 39. Here's the thread page http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057172703&page=3

Thanks a million, can't go wrong at that money, sent him a text, fingers crossed he still has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Tikka is available 1 in 8 twist and will shoot the 75 grain hornady match quite well at the distances you mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Cass wrote: »

Up to .50 cal. :cool:

The .50 cal must be useful if you want to knock down the mountain at the back of the shooting range. :pac:

Is there an issue with the barrel heating up if target shooting with a .223 light barrel.

Are you better off going with a varmint/heavy barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

PSXDupe wrote: »
    Is there an issue with the barrel heating up if target shooting with a .223 light barrel.

Yes, the thinner barrel will get hotter faster.
    Are you better off going with a varmint/heavy barrel.

Depends if you are willing to carry it and put up with the poor balance for the benefit of being able to shoot longer strings. Only you can decide on that I guess.

Advertisement