Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling expensive wine in Ireland

Options
  • 22-05-2016 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all

I have a few expensive bottles of Bordeaux (more than 100 euros/btl) that I have always stored carefully in a wine refrigerator.
    I'm going to move to Canada this summer and I don't want to take the risk to put my precious bottles in the container.
    I'm now considering to sell them in Ireland and I'm wondering what would be the best way for that (auctions ? Donedeal ? forums ?).

Thanks for your help!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Share them with friends who would appreciate them?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

Zoraksan wrote: »
    Hi all

I have a few expensive bottles of Bordeaux (more than 100 euros/btl) that I have always stored carefully in a wine refrigerator.
    I'm going to move to Canada this summer and I don't want to take the risk to put my precious bottles in the container.
    I'm now considering to sell them in Ireland and I'm wondering what would be the best way for that (auctions ? Donedeal ? forums ?).

Thanks for your help!

Adams are probably the best auction house but prices less commission are not great for sellers. Buyers also pay hefty commission so the main winner is the auctioneer. broadly speaking commission is 20% plus vat..Total 24.6% to each. To be honest , the flippant comment made about sharing them with friends has an element of logic. I have a port collection which I will not sell at auction prices.

sceach16 wrote: »
    Adams are probably the best auction house but prices less commission are not great for sellers. Buyers also pay hefty commission so the main winner is the auctioneer. broadly speaking commission is 20% plus vat..Total 24.6% to each. To be honest , the flippant comment made about sharing them with friends has an element of logic. I have a port collection which I will not sell at auction prices.

It was not intended as a flippant comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭sceach16

First Up wrote: »
    It was not intended as a flippant comment.

Sorry, I misread it .

sceach16 wrote:
    Sorry, I misread it .

No problem. A €100 bottle of claret is a very nice wine but hardly a serious investment. What is it going to appreciate by - another €50 if you are lucky?

Drink it and enjoy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement