Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macaris Takeaway Dreadful

Options
  • 23-05-2016 6:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Hi all I bought a takeaway last night from Macaris and got it delivered to my girlfriends for us as we were starving. I have to say it was the worst. All of it went in the bin. 22yoyo in the bin, don't know about anyone else, but it has really pissed me off and felt so robbed. Left review through the app and told the truth and highly doubt anyone will come back to me.

Anybody else had this experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Surly if you phoned them up they would have sorted you out right away with either a refund or new food.

I think you've lost a bit of leverage now after the bad review.

Had a problem with a pizza delivery once, simply inedible and looked like it was thrown together.
    Called up and spoke to the manager and they sent a new pizza very promptly and made perfectly - I'd guess the manager made it themselves.

Best to put this down to a bad experience I think.

BTW what did you do for food as you said you were starving?

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭madmac187

Surly if you phoned them up they would have sorted you out right away with either a refund or new food.

I think you've lost a bit of leverage now after the bad review.

Had a problem with a pizza delivery once, simply inedible and looked like it was thrown together.
    Called up and spoke to the manager and they sent a new pizza very promptly and made perfectly - I'd guess the manager made it themselves.

Best to put this down to a bad experience I think.

BTW what did you do for food as you said you were starving?

Not really looking for a refund just giving out lol

True like it was too late by then anyway food arrived at 9:45, ate what we should have had,banana and bottle of water. Didn't want hassle, had to catch a flight this morning to go to work in Nottingham 6:30am

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Can you be more specific about what was wrong with it? Keeping in mind you were ordering from a chipper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

What did you order that was so bad? It's hard to imagine a bag of chips fit for the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

There are many many Macari's in Dublin, I can testify that they're not all bad and that if you do complain they are usually quick to rectify it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭gumbo1

What branch did it come from?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

madmac187 wrote: »
    Anybody else had this experience?
    as other said, which one, its not a mcdonalds or something. Some are the same groups but they are not all the same crowd.

It'd be like me saying has anyone else found the barmen rude in murphys pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Most macaris are superior to other chippers, the only one i recall slipping in standard is the one up beside tesco express in Finglas. The one on the Ballymun Rd. by dcu is still top notch,as is the little chip in Finglas East.It is owned by the same macaris as the one at tesco express and is seriously and consistently tasty. The one in balbriggan is great too.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭madmac187

My apologies all, been very busy with work. Garlic sauce tasted off in the garlic cheese and chip, with so much salt in it you could kill, onion rings were so sogging and tasting of flower. Just was so inedible. Now I'm not a takeaway fanatic but was not good and threw all in bin and the woman thought the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Jesus Christ. Be a f*cking man and contact them directly to complain.

Maybe they'd an off day.

Maybe they'd an off hour.

Maybe they'd have fixed it instead of you jsut having a go at someone's business on a public internet forum where anyone can say what they want.

AND you didn't even say which bloody one its from, so you could be bitching about several different places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

Have you sought counseling?

But what macaris was it???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I know a good solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

I know a good Macaris.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

You can't tar all Macari's with the same brush just because you had a bad experience with one branch.

The Macari's near me has been dishing out consistently great chipper grub for the past 20 years; I think it's top notch.

You just got unlucky and like others have said, you should have complained and given the chipper a chance to rectify the issue instead of going ahead and giving them a bad review.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

madmac187 wrote: »
    My apologies all, been very busy with work. Garlic sauce tasted off in the garlic cheese and chip, with so much salt in it you could kill, onion rings were so sogging and tasting of flower. Just was so inedible. Now I'm not a takeaway fanatic but was not good and threw all in bin and the woman thought the same.

Sounds like you and the "woman" didn't want a proper 1&1 and were expecting some sort of supermacs post GAA match super upsised garlic mayo, fries and processed onion ring garlic cheese dipped crap!!

Order fish and chips if you're in Dublin. If you want onion, ask for onion fritters instead of onion rings, massive slices of Spanish onions fried in batter. Dublin chippers lean towards fish and chips old school style, although they're fast food, they're a bit more raw deep fried spuds and fresh battered cod with salt and vinegar than the fast food supermacs stuff offered in the West.

The food wasn't bad, you just ordered crap!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

You for real "Rambo"?

Talking absolute rubbish tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,877 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Sounds like you and the "woman" didn't want a proper 1&1 and were expecting some sort of supermacs post GAA match super upsised garlic mayo, fries and processed onion ring garlic cheese dipped crap!!

Order fish and chips if you're in Dublin. If you want onion, ask for onion fritters instead of onion rings, massive slices of Spanish onions fried in batter. Dublin chippers lean towards fish and chips old school style, although they're fast food, they're a bit more raw deep fried spuds and fresh battered cod with salt and vinegar than the fast food supermacs stuff offered in the West.

What are you ****ing rambling on about? A chipper is the same all over the country. Identical, everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Can't tar all Macari chippers with the same brush. Not all Macaris are the same, and few of them are actually related to each other. I know of one Macari chipper and the owners are not Macari themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭WarZ

John_Rambo wrote: »

Go back into your corner.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod note: a bit more civility would be good from a few posters. Otherwise the thread isn't worth continuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ebbsy wrote: »
    I know a good solicitor.

Hope his name is not John, had terrible trouble with a solicitor called John. My advice is best avoid all of them called John.

I wonder if the OP has been in the same mystery place during the day. Some things do not travel well for delivery, or maybe he does not frequent chippers much, I know a few people who do not like chippers and would prefer mcdonalds etc. Salt n vinegar can created lots of steam in the bag and make things soggy. I actually like soggy chips like that but if I didn't I would ask for none and add it when it arrived.

What are you ****ing rambling on about? A chipper is the same all over the country. Identical, everywhere.

All chippers are identical? :confused: Let me educate you! :)
    Birneybau wrote: »
    You for real "Rambo"?

Talking absolute rubbish tbh.

Nope, listen and learn.
    WarZ wrote: »
    Go back into your corner.

No. Now listen up.

Different chippers use different spuds, some even use frozen spuds!!!:eek: Some use lard, some oil, they have different ways of prepping the fish, they all use different batters, they cook at different temperatures and for varying times

The likes of McDonalds are identical all over the country, but they're not chippers.

There's a vast vast difference between a good Dublin chipper and a bad chipper. If you're into garlic sauces and cheese dips, head in to Supermacs with the red necks and innocent tourists that stumbled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Wow, the condescension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

OP this is pretty low. Name and shame by all means, but only after contacting the outlet directly and giving them a chance to redeem themselves. As others have said, it may have been an anomaly. I imagine the management would be mortified if they thought they'd unsatisfied customers.

Birneybau wrote: »
    Wow, the condescension.

But I'm right. Not talking rubbish like you claimed I was in your short, rude, condescending post.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I find Macaris very hit and miss, but mostly miss. They're not all the one group though as far as I know.

I do notice that when an Italian is working the food is better but that's so rare as it's mostly east Europeans- great bunch of lads etc. but they don't cook the food with the same attention.

There's a small one in Malahide that's more often than not quite good.

There's one beside me in Belmayne that was called Macari's but know called Romayo's and that's often disappointing. But really good when the Italian boss is in.

I'd never get chipper food delivered though as it only has a fair chance of being ok if it's eaten immediately.
    Being kept in a hot bag while on a delivery route it stands no chance of being edible imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP this is pretty low. Name and shame by all means, but only after contacting the outlet directly and giving them a chance to redeem themselves. As others have said, it may have been an anomaly. I imagine the management would be mortified if they thought they'd unsatisfied customers.

+1

I am a former restaurant manager. Our restaurant did a lot of delivery business. People doing what the OP has done,, made my life very hard.

Contact the restaurant/chipper. Give them a chance to get to the bottom of why you were unsatisfied with your order, what they can do to compensate you & what they can do to make sure no further orders get screwed up. If the OP didn't want to wait up for them to send you out a freshly made order, perhaps he could have gotten an apology, an explanation, and/or a commitment for a freebie the next time he orders. If they refuse to do any of that, then name & shame by all means.

Just saying eff it, I couldn't be bothered contacting them and then badmouthing them to other people & on the internet is very unfair.

Maybe the driver got lost and the food went cold and soggy while he was driving around trying to find the OP's house. Maybe they need to retrain their driver or buy him a GPS. Maybe they need to retrain whoever was on the fryer that night. Maybe whoever assembles the orders need a good kick up the hole. Whatever it is, the chipper doesn't know it needs to fix these problems, unless people contact them when things go wrong.

Have a little thought and consideration for the people who are only trying to do their jobs & whose livelihoods are dependent on satisfied customers.

End of rant.

(Like I said, I'm in biz.:o )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

this is lies.
    as fish and chips is a big tradition in "orange" parts of NI - I, as somebody who knows a few fast food places - will testify that chippers in unionist areas are superior to any fare dished up in the free state.

• Advertisement

arayess wrote: »
    this is lies.
    as fish and chips is a big tradition in "orange" parts of NI - I, as somebody who knows a few fast food places - will testify that chippers in unionist areas are superior to any fare dished up in the free state.

Ooh somebody's got a chip on there shoulder!
    But as a fellow grease enthusiast i can testify that Dublin as a rule has far superior chippers than any of the other 31 counties.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement