Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macaris Takeaway Dreadful

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,429 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think the OP if all they want is a rant should go and see a therapist if they cant actually engage in the discussion properly in the thread they they started such as discussing what branch of Macari's it was etc as has been asked on several occasions and would be important in the context of the discussion.. be handy if these sorts of rants (their words not mine) would be shut down..

Sometimes as consumers we have a bad experience.... That could be unlucky or possibly a trend.. If it was confirmed what branch maybe you would get 10 others who say ' well I have had the same experience, stay clear ' or indeed the opposite and at least there would be some value in the thread for the boards community.. as it is this is all pretty pointless thanks to the OP in the main...

The right thing to do in that situation is ring them up.. Odds on if they delivered they would have got something else out to you. My local Macari's is fantastic and has been run by the same family as long as I have remember and the food is top notch by chipper standards and the place is spotless... it has in fact been already mentioned in this thread the one on Ballymun Rd.. It has a great rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

arayess wrote: »
    this is lies.
    as fish and chips is a big tradition in "orange" parts of NI - I, as somebody who knows a few fast food places - will testify that chippers in unionist areas are superior to any fare dished up in the free state.

Beatties in Tate's Avenue being a case in point? I've travelled miles to queue there and in a place in Newtownards so I'd tend to agree with you. Fish and Chip shops in the south of Ireland don't cook their chips long enough. There's nothing worse than a flaccid bit of fried potato.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

OP this is pretty low. Name and shame by all means.
    But he hasn't named and shamed. It'd be like me saying "Bob the builder messed up by house". If people avoid builders called bob because of it they need their head checked.
    humberklog wrote: »
    I do notice that when an Italian is working the food is better but that's so rare as it's mostly east Europeans- great bunch of lads etc. but they don't cook the food with the same attention.
    I have noticed this too. I sometimes go to one just after it opens as its convenient for me. but I think the chips are just cooked once as its just open, rather than the twice fried method. If I go in later the chips are much better. And if one of the Italian staff is there I usually get good ones if open early. The staff are also the most miserable bunch I have ever come across in any shop. Family run places have a much more vested interest in doing things right.

One chipper near me is all Asian staff and I have gotten some odd kebabs, like they do not know what its meant to be like, the owner is Irish and when he is there its all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

John_Rambo wrote: »
    But I'm right. Not talking rubbish like you claimed I was in your short, rude, condescending post.

I'm pretty sure Dublin pubs have garlic sauce because

1) they do
    2) the op said he ordered garlic sauce.

Your assumption that he's a fan of supermacs is unfunded. You just wanted an anti culchie rant.

this is lies.
    as fish and chips is a big tradition in "orange" parts of NI - I, as somebody who knows a few fast food places - will testify that chippers in unionist areas are superior to any fare dished up in the free state.

Fish and chips is a foreign food down here. Imported by Italians. Hence the macari name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

I've been to Italy and never seen a chipper there.

I did see pizza and pasta restaurants everywhere though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,681 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm pretty sure Dublin pubs have garlic sauce because

1) they do
    2) the op said he ordered garlic sauce.

Your assumption that he's a fan of supermacs is unfunded. You just wanted an anti culchie rant.

Ok. I'm pretty sure Dublin pubs don't have garlic sauce because.

1) they don't.
    2) the op said he ordered from a chipper, not a pub.

You're obviously confused.

However, I'm assuming that you got mixed up between the classic and unbeatable Dublin pub and the classic (seemingly unbeatable until our orange friend joined in) Dublin chipper!

Ordering take-away from a chipper is a bad idea in the first place. Good fish and chips don't travel well. You're better off walking to a chipper and ordering a one & one and sitting on a wall to dine, ensuring that you keep the noise down and place you're litter in a bin to keep your capital clean. 1&1 is ancient Dublinese for a fish and chips. Keep it fresh and simple.

If you want cheese and garlic dips to dip from frozen, processed or plastic "fries", you're best off going to supermac's or the like.

My assumption that he's a fan of supermac's because of his penchant for garlic and cheese dips is most likely correct. For all I know he could have been reared on the stuff.

If you want good take-away go for Indian, Pakistan or pizza. Those types of foods fare well for travel. Heavily marinated ethnic dishes don't loose consistency in a bag for a few minutes, neither to pizzas. Good chips do!

Carry on. :)

Ok. I'm pretty sure Dublin pubs don't have garlic sauce because.

1) they don't.
    2) the op said he ordered from a chipper, not a pub.

You're obviously confused.

However, I'm assuming that you got mixed up between the classic and unbeatable Dublin pub and the classic (seemingly unbeatable until our orange friend joined in) Dublin chipper!

Ordering take-away from a chipper is a bad idea in the first place. Good fish and chips don't travel well. You're better off walking to a chipper and ordering a one & one and sitting on a wall to dine, ensuring that you keep the noise down and place you're litter in a bin to keep your capital clean. 1&1 is ancient Dublinese for a fish and chips. Keep it fresh and simple.

If you want cheese and garlic dips to dip from frozen, processed or plastic "fries", you're best off going to supermac's or the like.

My assumption that he's a fan of supermac's because of his penchant for garlic and cheese dips is most likely correct. For all I know he could have been reared on the stuff.

If you want good take-away go for Indian, Pakistan or pizza. Those types of foods fare well for travel. Heavily marinated ethnic dishes don't loose consistency in a bag for a few minutes, neither to pizzas. Good chips do!

Carry on. :)

Yes of course I didn't mean pub.

This true blue prole dub crap is tiresome. Dublin chippers sell garlic sauce with chips, and it's pretty common to get them, even for bearded howyas born within the canals.

More importantly that's what this thread is about.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

ProudDUB wrote: »
    +1

I am a former restaurant manager. Our restaurant did a lot of delivery business. People doing what the OP has done,, made my life very hard.

Contact the restaurant/chipper. Give them a chance to get to the bottom of why you were unsatisfied with your order, what they can do to compensate you & what they can do to make sure no further orders get screwed up. If the OP didn't want to wait up for them to send you out a freshly made order, perhaps he could have gotten an apology, an explanation, and/or a commitment for a freebie the next time he orders. If they refuse to do any of that, then name & shame by all means.

Just saying eff it, I couldn't be bothered contacting them and then badmouthing them to other people & on the internet is very unfair.

Maybe the driver got lost and the food went cold and soggy while he was driving around trying to find the OP's house. Maybe they need to retrain their driver or buy him a GPS. Maybe they need to retrain whoever was on the fryer that night. Maybe whoever assembles the orders need a good kick up the hole. Whatever it is, the chipper doesn't know it needs to fix these problems, unless people contact them when things go wrong.

Have a little thought and consideration for the people who are only trying to do their jobs & whose livelihoods are dependent on satisfied customers.

End of rant.

(Like I said, I'm in biz.:o )

Why should a customer paying their hard earned cash on a business owe them anything. The onus is on the business owner to make sure it's right first time.

Have a little thought and consideration for the customers who expect a decent quality of food for what they have paid for the first time. Why should someone have to wait twice as long as you can't get it right the fist time .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Have you ever made a mistake in your job? Or do you always get everything 100% correct, 100% of the time? In a perfect world, every single paying customer should always get 100% perfect service, every single time they buy something. The real world is not like that. Mistakes happen. $hit happens. That's life.

If someone orders something from Calhoun's Happy House of Pancakes, Widgets, Butt Plugs and Chicken Wings & your company makes a complete pigs ear of the order.....

What would you prefer to happen?

1. The customer gives you a ring, tells you what happened and gives you a chance to make it right.

Or

2. They do none of the above. They just go on the internet and blast you for being a terrible company.

Answers on a post card.

No where in post did I say that the customer "owes" the company anything. But there is a room in the customer/business relationship for a bit of cop on and consideration for others. It's called not being a dick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

Have you ever made a mistake in your job? Or do you always get everything 100% correct, 100% of the time? In a perfect world, every single paying customer should always get 100% perfect service, every single time they buy something. The real world is not like that. Mistakes happen. $hit happens. That's life.

If someone orders something from Calhoun's Happy House of Pancakes, Widgets, Butt Plugs and Chicken Wings & your company makes a complete pigs ear of the order.....

What would you prefer to happen?

1. The customer gives you a ring, tells you what happened and gives you a chance to make it right.

Or

2. They do none of the above. They just go on the internet and blast you for being a terrible company.

Answers on a post card.

No where in post did I say that the customer "owes" the company anything. But there is a room in the customer/business relationship for a bit of cop on and consideration for others. It's called not being a dick.

I must have read different I thought I was reading about some guy excusing poor service because it impacts on someone's industry.

Simple as if people are going to spend money on any business they should receive a certain service level. Especially if it's by delivery where you might be waiting 40 minutes for the initial delivery. The same due consideration you expect from the customer should be afforded to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I think we are talking at cross purposes here. I am simply making the point that mistakes can happen in every single line of business, no matter what it is. No company get every thing correct all of the time, no matter how good they are, no matter how hard they try, or what levels of service the paying punter is entitled to.

Until all food orders are made by and delivered by robots, the human factor guarantees that mistakes will happen from time to time. When those mistakes do happen, I think that attacking the company on the internet is a rather dickish thing to do, without first giving the company a change to rectify the situation and/or compensate the customer.

If they refuse to do that, fine, name and shame. But at least give them a chance to salvage the situation, before their reputation is dragged thru the mud on the internet. Would you want that to happen to you, if you were a business owner? I seriously doubt if you would.

Like I said, I am in the industry. I know what issues and challenges restaurants and food delivery companies face on a daily basis. So I am looking at it from their perspective. Someone who has not been in my shoes may not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭themandan6611

I think we are talking at cross purposes here. I am simply making the point that mistakes can happen in every single line of business, no matter what it is. No company get every thing correct all of the time, no matter how good they are, no matter how hard they try, or what levels of service the paying punter is entitled to.

Until all food orders are made by and delivered by robots, the human factor guarantees that mistakes will happen from time to time. When those mistakes do happen, I think that attacking the company on the internet is a rather dickish thing to do, without first giving the company a change to rectify the situation and/or compensate the customer.

If they refuse to do that, fine, name and shame. But at least give them a chance to salvage the situation, before their reputation is dragged thru the mud on the internet. Would you want that to happen to you, if you were a business owner? I seriously doubt if you would.

Like I said, I am in the industry. I know what issues and challenges restaurants and food delivery companies face on a daily basis. So I am looking at it from their perspective. Someone who has not been in my shoes may not.

It was you, wasn't it ? you made that ****ty chipper you shtbag

Yes of course I didn't mean pub.

This true blue prole dub crap is tiresome. Dublin chippers sell garlic sauce with chips, and it's pretty common to get them, even for bearded howyas born within the canals.

More importantly that's what this thread is about.

Dublin Chinese takeaways sell chips. But they're terrible. Just because the sell them doesn't mean they're going to be good. If you're looking for garlic sauce and cheese dips stick to Supermac's. They do that stuff very well. Traditional Dublin chippers do fish and chips very well.

If you don't like to hear any pro (I presume that's what you meant) Dublin stuff Eugene, you should refrain from posting in the Dublin city forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

fussyonion wrote: »
    You can't tar all Macari's with the same brush just because you had a bad experience with one branch.

The Macari's near me has been dishing out consistently great chipper grub for the past 20 years; I think it's top notch.

You just got unlucky and like others have said, you should have complained and given the chipper a chance to rectify the issue instead of going ahead and giving them a bad review.

But when a macaris gets downgraded to a romayos, standards are just going to slip like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Dublin Chinese takeaways sell chips. But they're terrible. Just because the sell them doesn't mean they're going to be good.

I would add to this though a lot of chippers do sell soggy greasy chips, they need to be crispy on the outside fluffy within, Chineses seem to have perfected that crunch, maybe not the fluffyness.

Saying that though the selection of potatoes that chippers use distinguishing them with chippies over in the UK is second to none, you get more of a flavour off them here, they might chip up a nice earthy rooster here as opposed to a bland water filled Marris piper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

Calhoun wrote: »
    Why should a customer paying their hard earned cash on a business owe them anything. The onus is on the business owner to make sure it's right first time.

Have a little thought and consideration for the customers who expect a decent quality of food for what they have paid for the first time. Why should someone have to wait twice as long as you can't get it right the fist time .

Christ. There is so much aggression in this thread! And it's a thread about chips! That's worrying.

Anyway - to Calhoun. Once you come up with a perfect system for a business, which includes perfect staff, perfect produce, perfect infrastructure (I could go on) - please patent it, and make yourself a fortune.

Until then, it's a little unfair to criticise business owners who seek constructive criticism to become better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Ooh somebody's got a chip on there shoulder!
    But as a fellow grease enthusiast i can testify that Dublin as a rule has far superior chippers than any of the other 31 counties.
    this is lies.

fcuk sake

I'm an idiot sorry;.

I do "know" a few fast food places....

but I meant to say i "own" them

I can't type ...sorry/../

Dublin Chinese takeaways sell chips. But they're terrible. Just because the sell them doesn't mean they're going to be good. If you're looking for garlic sauce and cheese dips stick to Supermac's. They do that stuff very well. Traditional Dublin chippers do fish and chips very well.

If you don't like to hear any pro (I presume that's what you meant) Dublin stuff Eugene, you should refrain from posting in the Dublin city forum.

I'm a dub. Of quite a few generations. I'm correcting you on your inaccuracies. Probably the op is a Dub too. Supermacs has nothing to do with this conversation. Nor Chinese takeaways. The op got garlic on chips from a Dublin takeaway, telling him he should have had a fish n chips is nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Dial Hard wrote:
    The nature of Boards is that we generally only ever get one side of the story. Most people are willing to take OPs at face value.

madmac187 wrote:
    Hi all I bought a takeaway last night from Macaris and got it delivered to my girlfriends for us as we were starving. I have to say it was the worst. All of it went in the bin. 22yoyo in the bin, don't know about anyone else, but it has really pissed me off and felt so robbed. Left review through the app and told the truth and highly doubt anyone will come back to me.

Strumms wrote:
    The right thing to do in that situation is ring them up.. Odds on if they delivered they would have got something else out to you. My local Macari's is fantastic and has been run by the same family as long as I have remember and the food is top notch by chipper standards and the place is spotless... it has in fact been already mentioned in this thread the one on Ballymun Rd.. It has a great rep.

why should he go to the bother of ringing them and explaining anything. I do the same thing if the food is crap then give crap review, it's not like it was free good money was paid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Fish and chips is a foreign food down here. Imported by Italians. Hence the macari name.

Fish and chips is an English tradition. The Brits brought it over long before the Italians. A hundred years back most fish and chip shops were Irish owned & run.
    Here endith the history lesson. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xaracatz

jcd5971 wrote: »
    why should he go to the bother of ringing them and explaining anything. I do the same thing if the food is crap then give crap review, it's not like it was free good money was paid.

Because he's a reasonable person / can get a replacement or refund?

It must be nice to be so awesome that you never make a mistake.

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Fish and chips is an English tradition. The Brits brought it over long before the Italians. A hundred years back most fish and chip shops were Irish owned & run.
    Here endith the history lesson. :)

Here's a better lesson.

1) I know it's British. I know it's not Italian.
    2) it was in fact imported into Ireland by Italians who had lived in Britain beforehand. I assume they thought Italian food wouldn't work.

Many of irelands chipper tradition comes from non British sources. Beshoffs is another one. Doesn't seem like we had that tradition before they arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Augme

+1

I am a former restaurant manager. Our restaurant did a lot of delivery business. People doing what the OP has done,, made my life very hard.

Contact the restaurant/chipper. Give them a chance to get to the bottom of why you were unsatisfied with your order, what they can do to compensate you & what they can do to make sure no further orders get screwed up. If the OP didn't want to wait up for them to send you out a freshly made order, perhaps he could have gotten an apology, an explanation, and/or a commitment for a freebie the next time he orders. If they refuse to do any of that, then name & shame by all means.

Just saying eff it, I couldn't be bothered contacting them and then badmouthing them to other people & on the internet is very unfair.

Maybe the driver got lost and the food went cold and soggy while he was driving around trying to find the OP's house. Maybe they need to retrain their driver or buy him a GPS. Maybe they need to retrain whoever was on the fryer that night. Maybe whoever assembles the orders need a good kick up the hole. Whatever it is, the chipper doesn't know it needs to fix these problems, unless people contact them when things go wrong.

Have a little thought and consideration for the people who are only trying to do their jobs & whose livelihoods are dependent on satisfied customers.

End of rant.

(Like I said, I'm in biz.:o )

The OP left a review on the app so the chipper do know something went wrong. That's the whole purpose of review systems and I think it's only fair people post honest reviews. I've no interest in ordering from a chipper if it's going to take them two attempts to get my food right.

I'm a dub. Of quite a few generations. I'm correcting you on your inaccuracies. Probably the op is a Dub too. Supermacs has nothing to do with this conversation. Nor Chinese takeaways. The op got garlic on chips from a Dublin takeaway, telling him he should have had a fish n chips is nonsense.

I'll decide what has to do with this conversation in my posts, if you don't like it and you feel it's against the charter simply report my posts.

Regarding correcting my inaccuracies? You're all over the shop, you're getting confused between pubs and chippers and as for this...
    I know it's British. I know it's not Italian.

:pac::pac: Yeah, that's real accurate!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Mod note: unfortunately this thread has descended into a bit of farce, so we'll just close it a per previous note.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement