Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolute newbie seeking any assistance at all

Options
  • 23-05-2016 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭

Hi!

First time posting, please be gentle :)

I've signed up for the Blackwater sprint triathlon in August. I am considering attempting the try-a-tri or sprint in Athy on the June bank holiday weekend.

Would I be mad?

I can swim 750 m no problem. I had my first pool session in over a year yesterday and I was comfortable doing the swim so am confident that with a few more pool sessions I'll get my time down again.

Cycling is no problem either. I commute on my bike and regularly do 100km spins on the weekends. Speed may be an issue, but I'm not doing this for time. Yet. Reckon I can get the 20km cycle done in maybe 45mins at a push, provided theres no major wind on the day.

Running... This is my issue and the only reason I haven't entered a triathlon before (swimming and bike are my main activities). However I completed couch to 5k and can comfortably run 5km, albeit slowly. I intend to work on speed over 5km over the summer, and then build up to 10km over the winter and aim for an Olympic tri next year.

In terms of doing more than one activity in a day, I have been practicing doing some running after a cycle - not the full 5km, but running. Legs have felt okay. Cycled after my swim yesterday and got a PB on a loop that I do - my swim is more about my upper body than my legs.

Now! The questions.

Am I mad to think I can complete the sprint? Is the bank holiday weekend too soon to contemplate?

In terms of gear - I'll obviously need a wetsuit. Would a short one suffice or should I invest in a long sleeved one?

I assume I wear something under it - I have a tri-suit (shorts and sleeveless) with built in sports bra. Would this be okay to wear? There's very little padding in the suit for the cycle so can just pull a pair of shorts on over it and then take them off for the run.

For the transitions - is everything stored together? I'll obviously have my bike, helmet and bike shoes, but do I go back to the same place to collect my runners and drop off my bike? Couldn't run in my bike shoes :pac:

I think thats all for now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

No you wouldn't be mad! You would have the capacity to do all three legs, so combining them is the next step.

What you need is some open water experience; as cold water and thrashing feet will freak out anyone inexperienced. If you can get in touch with a local club - tri or swimming - and see about joining a swim. Or maybe meet up with some like-minded people; best not swim alone.

As for clothes each has their own preference. A swim-specific full length wetsuit would be the preferred option, but you will need a wetsuit of some sort.
    As for underneath; a trisuit is perfect - you don't want too much padding on the run and its a short cycle anyway. Maybe get used to cycling in the trisuit.

Most tris will have a single transition area; you leave all your necessary gear in the one spot. Some long distance events will have split transitions - not for you to worry about just yet!

Whatever event you chose, someone on here will have the experience to advise.
    Good luck!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

cjt156 wrote: »

What you need is some open water experience; as cold water and thrashing feet will freak out anyone inexperienced. If you can get in touch with a local club - tri or swimming - and see about joining a swim. Or maybe meet up with some like-minded people; best not swim alone.

this. 750m in the pool and 750m in the open water are two very different animals. if you can get to swim ow a few times before the day and it goes okay then you should be okay

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

I'd echo what Mossy said, open water is completely different than pool swimming. Our club ran a new to tri programme and they recently done their first tri in a pool. Good few done their first open water tri at the weekend and there was a big difference in times and comfort. Just get in the open water before and make sure your comfortable. If you have a shorty wetsuit hang onto it and use it for the moment (if you can handle the cold), I wouldn't rush out to buy a suit just incase it's not for you. See if you could even get a lend of a full suit off someone, you would be surprised how many people have some type of wetsuit. Enjoy your first one and don't worry about the time, get around and enjoy it. Then if you like it you can always look at a dedicated Tri wetsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

defo ready for an sprint in a couple of weeks if you foloow what the 2 guys above said .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Brill - thanks everyone. Will register this evening.

Just to note - have done some open water swimming previously and been okay with it. I'm not someone who really feels the cold in the water thankfully. But I will try get some open water swimming done in advance.

Oh. I have sensitive feet. I don't like walking on stones or anything as it hurts my little toes. I have a pair of vibrams - would it be okay to wear these in the swim or do I just have to man-up and take the pain of running on the concrete from the swim to the bike?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

sullivlo wrote: »
    Oh. I have sensitive feet. I don't like walking on stones or anything as it hurts my little toes. I have a pair of vibrams - would it be okay to wear these in the swim or do I just have to man-up and take the pain of running on the concrete from the swim to the bike?

You should be fine barefoot. Old flip flops or hotel slippers for the walk to the start will keep you warm and stone free and the run from swim to bike, last year at least, was covered by mats as much as possible. You might have to traverse a bit of tarmac but nothing too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

sullivlo wrote: »
    Brill - thanks everyone. Will register this evening.

Just to note - have done some open water swimming previously and been okay with it. I'm not someone who really feels the cold in the water thankfully. But I will try get some open water swimming done in advance.

Don't wear anything on your feet as otherwise you might get a DQ.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭gl0Rob

You'll be ready, some good advice above. Like has been said get a swim specific wet suit it makes the world of difference. Even an entry level one. Get some time in it in the open water. Get a feel for how it affects your movement in the water. It does make a big difference. I'm not great in the pool but seem to be much faster in open water. I know others where its the opposite.

Yes wear something under the wet suit. You can't be naked at any point. Try cycling with the tri shorts on, you shouldn't need any more padding but if you do you can certainly put another pair of shorts over them.

For Athy I believe it is just the one transition area so you will have your running shoe there also. You usually put you bike back to the same position you took it from. You can have everything you need for the bike-run here. Small towel, socks, whatever. Usually no bags or boxes allowed so everything must be put neatly beside your bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭sullivlo

Great - thanks all. I think I might enter the try-a-tri in Athy rather than the full sprint, mainly in case I don't get enough swimming done between now and then. Also, while I'm comfortable running 5km, 4km seems more achievable!

Advertisement