Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monitored to self-monitored

Options
  • 23-05-2016 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi everyone,

looking for some advice and I have a very stupid question but I'm no expert and going mad searching on the internet.

I got a wired alarm HKC SW1070 a year ago (from PSA licensed installer) with a HKC GSM (not sure about the model) and chose to have it monitored through the installer. I work from home all the time and decided it might be not worth it to spend the full year monitoring fees again however I'd still like to self-monitor the alarm.

I can set the alarm on/off by text, check logs and status however I can't find any option on the user manual on how to set up the system to text me when the alarm goes off? Also looked everywhere on the internet but no luck really.

I wonder, is this something I can do myself or do I have to contact the installer (or a registered engineer anyway) to set this up? I searched for options from the keypad but I can't even manage to get into the user menu, no matter the manager menu!

Would you consider self-monitoring or have it monitored by a registered company is much better (read here on boards about the URN for when you call the GARDA)? I have contacts on all doors/windows and a PIR that covers all ground floor basically. I was just thinking to get more shock sensors rather than magnetic contacts only on windows as not sure if a magnetic contact will set the alarm off if e.g. the glass is broken but the window stay closed?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

Hi Evo.A,
    First off welcome to boards, so you have a 10/70 with a GSM unit and you want to self monitor it.
    So you will need to discuss this with whoever installed your system as it needs reprogramming.
    With regard to self monitoring, an alarm is only as good as the response it receives and you need to bear two things in mind. Texts can be very slow, just think of typical new years eve at around midnight.

Secondly i noticed you mentioned Gardai and URN's, this is an arrangement between monitoring companies and The Gardai. Monitoring stations contact your local regional Garda operations control room and they dispatch the call to their own resources. I am not sure you ringing your local station will have the same effect though, they will respond, but it may not be regarded as urgent. Therefore i would encourage you to give this further thought.

The reason you cannot get into the user or manager menus with your code is because your code has not been given these privileges, again that is something your installer will sort for you i am sure. Eitherway you can't change GSM settings in there anyway.

A magnetic contact will not activate an alarm if a window is smashed, their specific purpose is for reporting the actual opening of a window or door. You could demolish the wall next to the window and once the window remains closed, the alarm will not activate.
    Yes you are much better off with both shock sensors and contacts, it is a waste of time and a false economy only fitting contacts to vulnerable doors and windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Evo.A

Hi Kub,

thanks very for your reply! Ok at least now I know I can't change the GSM setting myself and I have to contact the installer either way.

Thanks for the advises as well, I actually found some Gardai policy online and yes, a call from a monitoring centre apparently is prioritized because it has been verified someone is effectively inside the premises and there's no risk is a false alarm...
    Again, reason I wanted to stop is because I work from home and most of the time I'm here... not all the time of course so I will give it some more thought.

Also interesting a magnetic sensor will set the alarm off ONLY if the window is open. The house is brand new with double glazed windows and steel frame door, now they're not bullet proof and totally possible to break in, however unless someone gets in from upstairs, the downstairs is covered by the PIR and that's why magnetic contacts were installed on the windows (I think) but I do have a shock sensor on the back door.

I guess I'll call the installer and ask what he thinks too at this stage, but thanks again for clarifying all of this for me!

You are welcome, if you have any further quires, you know where to find us.

Hi Kub,

got another quick question I'm hoping you can help me with.

I contacted the installer re the self monitoring option and he quoted me €200 to drop by and set it up. Is that a fair price???
    i would consider it for cheaper but not for that price.

I understand this would be a one off payment however is basically almost one year fee for monitoring... Especially since I might consider switching back in the future that doesn't make sense at all for me and I'd better off staying with the monitored option.

So question is the € 200 is a normal fee for an engineer to call by my place and just set the alarm to dial my my number instead than the monitoring centre? Unless there's more to do that I'm not aware of...

Thanks!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Is he supplying any new equipment like a voice dialler or GSM or is this just a labour & call out charge.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

Evo.A wrote: »
    Hi Kub,

got another quick question I'm hoping you can help me with.

I contacted the installer re the self monitoring option and he quoted me €200 to drop by and set it up. Is that a fair price???
    i would consider it for cheaper but not for that price.

I understand this would be a one off payment however is basically almost one year fee for monitoring... Especially since I might consider switching back in the future that doesn't make sense at all for me and I'd better off staying with the monitored option.

So question is the € 200 is a normal fee for an engineer to call by my place and just set the alarm to dial my my number instead than the monitoring centre? Unless there's more to do that I'm not aware of...

Thanks!

Some company's are more expensive than others.
    My advise would be to shop around especially if no further hardware is needed.

If he is not supplying any equipment then i consider that saucy for a few minutes reprogramming work.

Thanks guys, no there's no new equipment, I bought the GSM from the same company last year with the alarm. As far as I know it's just reprogramming.
    So would be any registered engineer able to do that for me? It doesn't have to be the original installer correct?

I also found on another thread these default codes, any idea if they're still good?

User code 1111
    Engineer code 4567

Assuming they would work for me, how difficult it is to reprogram? I have the user manuals however I must say they're not very detailed which makes me think it might be pretty straight forward, but I can be wrong.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If the engineer code works its fairly straightforward to reprogram. Best thing to do is have a read over the manual & come back with any questions.
    And yes, any good installer would be able to do this work for you.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    If the engineer code works its fairly straightforward to reprogram. Best thing to do is have a read over the manual & come back with any questions.
    And yes, any good installer would be able to do this work for you.

Thanks KoolKid, I actually tried already this afternoon but nothing happens when I put either of those codes. If I use my user code it just sets the alarm straight away and can't even access the user menu. I read on another thread this is because it wasn't programmed to let me access the menu? I figure I definitely need to get an installer to come around at this stage

If this is how the original installer programmed it you are better off getting somebody else. He didn't even set you up with the basic user menu access.

Thanks guys, no there's no new equipment, I bought the GSM from the same company last year with the alarm. As far as I know it's just reprogramming.
    So would be any registered engineer able to do that for me? It doesn't have to be the original installer correct?

That and just replacing the sim with a ready to go one.
    Also very easy to set up yourself if you have engineer access.

Have you tried doing a default yourself, if it is not engineer locked it will give you the option to just reset the codes to factory default after doing it.

Down power the system, mains and battery.
    Remove JP1 default link and power back up the system on the battery.
    If its not engineer locked you will be prompted to default all or scroll to codes and press yes.

If not it will say engineer locked.

Replace link, close up and turn on the mains.
    Codes will then be factory defaults.

Then all you need is the sim and programming is very easily done.

If this is how the original installer programmed it you are better off getting somebody else. He didn't even set you up with the basic user menu access.

Thanks KoolKid, yes it must be... I mean guy had all his nice website, good reviews and price seemed fair, in line with others installers I checked anyway. I mean job was done and all works fine but obviously I didnt know about any of this little troubles a year ago!

Just looks a bit cheeky now because basically with no knowledge all I can do is call an installer again and if I wouldn't ask on Boards I would call him back for sure

altor wrote: »
    That and just replacing the sim with a ready to go one.
    Also very easy to set up yourself if you have engineer access.

Have you tried doing a default yourself, if it is not engineer locked it will give you the option to just reset the codes to factory default after doing it.

Down power the system, mains and battery.
    Remove JP1 default link and power back up the system on the battery.
    If its not engineer locked you will be prompted to default all or scroll to codes and press yes.

If not it will say engineer locked.

Replace link, close up and turn on the mains.
    Codes will then be factory defaults.

Then all you need is the sim and programming is very easily done.

Thanks Altor! I'm willing to give it a go myself, but I think you lost me at "remove JP1 default link"... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ghickey

Just wondering how to wire and program smartguard gsm dialler to sw1070 panel . thanks

Thanks Altor! I'm willing to give it a go myself, but I think you lost me at "remove JP1 default link"... :)

The JP1 is located just above the spring when you open the control panel.

ghickey wrote: »
    Just wondering how to wire and program smartguard gsm dialler to sw1070 panel . thanks

Here is a link to the user manual, its showns how to program plus set up.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

An important point that if often missed when discussing monitoring of intruder alarms:

Regardless of whether the alarm is self monitored or monitored by a monitoring station the Gardai will not make any attempt to turn up unless a key holder has been contact and has committed to be present (activation of panic buttons excluded).
    In other words if an intruder alarm is activated by an intruder and the earliest that a key holder can arrive on the scene is 6 hours later the Gradai will not turn up until then on the basis that they will be unable to gain access without a key holder. So ultimately key holder response time can be very much influenced by the availability of the key holder never mind the severe lack of Garda resources.

Response is at their discretion. I had an event a while back where the ERU arrived at a break in and caught the guys red handed.

• Advertisement

2011 wrote: »
    An important point that if often missed when discussing monitoring of intruder alarms:

Regardless of whether the alarm is self monitored or monitored by a monitoring station the Gardai will not make any attempt to turn up unless a key holder has been contact and has committed to be present (activation of panic buttons excluded).
    In other words if an intruder alarm is activated by an intruder and the earliest that a key holder can arrive on the scene is 6 hours later the Gradai will not turn up until then on the basis that they will be unable to gain access without a key holder. So ultimately key holder response time can be very much influenced by the availability of the key holder never mind the severe lack of Garda resources.

Could i ask please, where did you get that information?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

kub wrote: »
    Could i ask please, where did you get that information?

Here:
    .......a Garda response will only be afforded to intruder alarm activations, when a key holder has been notified and has given an estimated time of arrival at the premises

This bit is also important:
    1.7 Failure of a key holder to attend at a premises following a verified alarm will result in the activation being recorded as a false alarm.

1.8 When three false alarms are recorded, against a premises, in a three-month period no further response will be afforded to the premises.

The freedom to use their own discretion here is important. If they are local Guards they will react different to each situation.
    Had another one there recently.Where they arrived within a few minutes of a normal activation before any keyholders were even contacted. They said they responded straightaway as they know this address was home to an elderly person who had been unwell lately.

The freedom to use their own discretion here is important. If they are local Guards they will react different to each situation.
    Had another one there recently.Where they arrived within a few minutes of a normal activation before any keyholders were even contacted. They said they responded straightaway as they know this address was home to an elderly person who had been unwell lately.

I don't doubt you for a moment. However there is no guarantee of this "discretion", besides is not limited to alarms that are monitored by a monitoring station (I know you were not suggesting this, but the point is still valid).
    I am just quoting from the AN GARDA SIOCHANA POLICY ON MONITORED INTRUDER ALARMS.

As we all know there is a serious shortage of Garda resources. I would think this is why the following appears in the above policy document:
    Advertising

No Alarm Installation Company or Monitoring Centre shall, in or on any of their stationery or advertising material, make any reference to An Garda Síochána or infer that Garda response will result from all alarm activations.

And yet PW TV adverts are allowed clearly state & show it.
    The Garda Policy is covering themselves from every angle.It really is stating their worst case scenario.
    While I take your point & I agree its 100% in line with Garda Policy in reality the responses are much better. In the same manner , if you call to report an incident the same will apply in many cases.

And yet PW TV adverts are allowed clearly state & show it.

A number of years ago I heard a PhoneWatch advertisement on the radio that in my opinion suggested that an activation of one of their alarm systems implied an almost instant Garda response. I reported this to the Advertising Standards Authority who upheld my complaint and forced the removal of the add from the airwaves. (I think we discussed this some time ago over a pint).
    While I take your point & I agree its 100% in line with Garda Policy in reality the responses are much better.

They can be......if you're lucky :)
    Do you feel lucky? :D

There are still many PW adverts that suggest Garda response.
    If you want to call the ammount of my alarms that get Garda response lucky then I must be lucky.

Or what about the PW reps stating that The Gardai have cars specifically on standby in each station just for PW activations.

And i am not joking either, they came out with that.

I'm hearing that one a lot.

• Advertisement

kub wrote: »
    Or what about the PW reps stating that The Gardai have cars specifically on standby in each station just for PW activations.

And i am not joking either, they came out with that.

We are well use to the reps coming on here claiming all sorts :D

Advertisement