Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Cologne

Options
  • 23-05-2016 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hey,

I'm moving to Cologne in the next few months and am at a bit of a loss. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of areas in the city or surrounding area for looking for apartments. I will be doing a PhD in the University of Cologne. I read somewhere about having to apply for residence there but I'm not really sure how to go about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭random_guy

Fringechic wrote: »
    Hey,

I'm moving to Cologne in the next few months and am at a bit of a loss. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of areas in the city or surrounding area for looking for apartments. I will be doing a PhD in the University of Cologne. I read somewhere about having to apply for residence there but I'm not really sure how to go about it.

The Uni's international department would be the place to start. Most have one. Failing that in some of the letters or emails they sent you it might be written? Or possibly there will be an Info Pack on its way to you. Most also have facebook groups.

If there's something provided try and get over in advance to check the place out, the quality can vary quite a bit. Also check the location - your registration fees will probably cover some public transport in the city/Uni area but if your accomodiation is outside these zones then you're paying for that out of your own pocket - if this is the case it's worth looking at the costs for semester tickets for the extra zones etc. Maybe the registration in Köln covers a larger area, that you could check also - the maps are available for download I'm sure.

For the various areas of Köln I haven't a clue but wg-gesucht.de is pretty popular for searching for apartments. You'll be able to find a flat share there or something for yourself - the usual rules about not handing over deposits apply until you've acutally been in the place. If you use a company to find a place remember that there's often a steep fee attached to it (the law changed recently on this but I haven't read up on it yet).

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Fringechic

Thank you very much, I will look into it :)

Advertisement