Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House insurance on long holiday?

• 23-05-2016 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I'm aware of the 30 day rule for leaving a home unoccupied but how does it work if the owners are away for 6 weeks? Would it satisfy insurers if a family member stayed the odd weekend and how would you prove to them that they actually did stay? Is there such a thing as an extra premium and would it be extortionate?
    Any advice or experience welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

I'm aware of the 30 day rule for leaving a home unoccupied but how does it work if the owners are away for 6 weeks? Would it satisfy insurers if a family member stayed the odd weekend and how would you prove to them that they actually did stay? Is there such a thing as an extra premium and would it be extortionate?
    Any advice or experience welcome.

It would be more a question of additional warranties being applied, rather than additional premium. It may be down to draining water systems, daily visits, deleting theft cover, a higher excess etc.

They all react differently, a phone call is your only answer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Having someone stay over a couple of nights means the house is occupied, so the 30 day period starts again.

Its just a precautionary measure and even excluding any insurance rule, its good to have someone drop by every week or so to take away post and give a visual check.

In the winer there's always a chance of frozen pipes causing problems - but not this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nualaonthewall

VincePP wrote: »
    Having someone stay over a couple of nights means the house is occupied, so the 30 day period starts again.

Its just a precautionary measure and even excluding any insurance rule, its good to have someone drop by every week or so to take away post and give a visual check.

In the winer there's always a chance of frozen pipes causing problems - but not this time of year

We always do this, even if we're only away for a week and it's summer, so it's good to know that that counts for something. We have family who live nearby and we do regular checks for each other at holiday times. It wouldn't be difficult to get one of them to stay over the odd weekend to keep things regularised.

We're actually away at the moment, so will check with our insurance when we get home to see what will apply if we go away for a longer period next year (summertime). Thanks for the information, VincePP. I hope we don't have to drain the tanks and would rather pay an extra premium or be curtailed for water damage instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

I have a lodger at home but the broker told me that the insurance will not cover if I will be on holiday more than 30 days

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nualaonthewall

I have a lodger at home but the broker told me that the insurance will not cover if I will be on holiday more than 30 days

That seems really strange? I thought the issue was occupancy, not the owner being present? I've been told by people who got pet sitters in while they were on an extended holiday to Oz that this was a major advantage of the process?

Will update this thread with my experience when I find out anything useful from my insurers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

That seems really strange? I thought the issue was occupancy, not the owner being present? I've been told by people who got pet sitters in while they were on an extended holiday to Oz that this was a major advantage of the process?

Will update this thread with my experience when I find out anything useful from my insurers.

yes I find very strange too, but they told me that if I leave the lodger alone for more than one month I should get the landlord insurance cover because it is like I am letting my whole place. I am shopping around to find a suitable insurance but it is not very easy. Please keep us update, I will post some more info when the broker will get back to me

Advertisement