Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PES 2017 - Thoughts & Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Oh my god ya, the penalties better be fixed drastically. Forgot about them. They were a disgrace in the last few versions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

callaway92 wrote: »
    Oh my god ya, the penalties better be fixed drastically. Forgot about them. They were a disgrace in the last few versions.

Absolutely horrendous. Ruined international tournaments because pens were such a chore and poorly done. Shocking mechanics and animation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

callaway92 wrote: »

I think I may have seen a gameplay video recently where someone won a penalty and i didn't see much difference unfortunately......I'll have to hack down someone tonight and see what its like :D

Colemania wrote: »
    I think I may have seen a gameplay video recently where someone won a penalty and i didn't see much difference unfortunately......I'll have to hack down someone tonight and see what its like :D

The keeper flying across the goal in comical Michael Jordan in Space Jam motion while the ball hits the net with the most unrealistic projectory 😭

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭brianregan09

both last years games were terrible in fairness , Had a few goes of this not blown away but I might pick it up anyway like I did last year as it's out 1st lol yes I'm easily pleased

• Advertisement

both last years games were terrible in fairness , Had a few goes of this not blown away but I might pick it up anyway like I did last year as it's out 1st lol yes I'm easily pleased

Yeh both games are fairly ****, pes is just less so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭tigger123

Have to say, I never noticed the penalty animations being in any way distracting (?) It's a strange thing to focus on, given that penalties are (notoriously) infrequent in the game.

Can't wait to see what alterations they've made to ML this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

tigger123 wrote: »
    Have to say, I never noticed the penalty animations being in any way distracting (?) It's a strange thing to focus on, given that penalties are (notoriously) infrequent in the game.

Can't wait to see what alterations they've made to ML this year.

I didn't play much master league, probably due to being on Xbox and not having any of the kits, but apparently this year if you get a legend in myclub, you also get him in master league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Maybe it's the fact that I can't fully change the tactics but I don't know what to make of the demo. I think they might have tried to go more along the fun route than realistic. That's not a good thing for me. Having serious doubts over this now.

Maybe it's the fact that I can't fully change the tactics but I don't know what to make of the demo. I think they might have tried to go more along the fun route than realistic. That's not a good thing for me. Having serious doubts over this now.

The PES demos have always been hobbled in so far as the features are concerned.

• Advertisement

Also, I've always, always taken a few hours/days before I make the adjustment to a new PES. After that I love it.

I don't know there's just something off about it, they've amped up the fun at the expense of realism I think. I really liked last year's demo and I've been playing pes long enough to know how quickly I adjust to new versions but this just isn't doing it for me. I've it pre ordered from the game collection anyway so I'll see what the full game feels like.

Yeah, they've improved the shooting a lot in fairness, goals feels so much more satisfying this year, more of a thud to the finishes. Now that I think of it I haven't noticed what the net animation looks like, it was another hilariously bad aspect of PES16. It is something that they really have failed to evolve on. At the time, PES 6 net animations were so so cool, the way the ball just nestled into the back of the net was so sick.

You have to remember in football games, its the little things that make the game, so while penalties for example don't happen too much, the fact that they are bad is so damaging. PES always prided itself on getting the little things right, so it seems odd to just overlook glaring problems with the game because they don't happen that frequently. If I am playing a world cup game in tournament mode and it comes down to penalties, I want it to feel exciting and not something that was just thrown together because they code the game to not have that much given in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Still not catering to manual players, passes are difficult enough without making it completely erratic over how much your half bar of power is going to convert to pass strength. Sometimes it'll go half the pitch, other times 6 feet. I understand it should depend somewhat on the player position, but im not talking about passing while doing a 360 turn or anything.

Dribbling is a chore. Shooting is a chore.

Massive improvement in defending in terms of the tackling, players doing what you want them to and the ai's positioning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Playing 360 demo.
    The noticeable jump from 15 to pes16 was immense. I haven't played a pes game as much and with such enjoyment since pes06.

Just played 1 game of the demo. Some slight tweaks, but no major overhauls... I guess if it ain't broke...

Will probably take a lot more games to see the sutble changes.
    Had many very odd collisions with other players though. Seems to be more work required here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Played a few games now, quick thoughts are;

-Crosses are way OP. I scored 4 goals in one game, all similar ball into the box headed on at the near post into far corner.
    -Lofted through balls aren't as effective which is a good thing IMO
    -Shooting is much improved, dribbling isn't great though or maybe I'm not used to it yet
    -Couple of cool little things i saw, scored a goal with Giroud and ran towards net; he smashed the ball into net as it rolled back out. Looked great and totally natural. The celebrations in general are much better. A lot of tussles while the ball is in the air and players holding players off the ball.

I'm enjoying it, more a refinement of last years than anything. Will take a lot for FIFA to beat it I think as last years was so poor but we'll see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Went searching on the Playstation store but can't find the demo.

ntot9vD.jpg

Nobody else having trouble dribbling and getting around players?

I do play with auto feint off i just realised but ive always done that i think

Something I noticed, and its a good thing, searching through balls have greater capability to miss the interception of the defender if they are too slow getting across, in the last game everything was intercepted within an earshot of the defenders. It shouldn't happen too much but it should be there.

Goals are so so much nicer in this years game, last year scoring a goal was an afterthought, the way the ball hit the net was incredibly poor, but they really improved it.

Passing is beautiful, and less pinball like than last year.

The game seems a bit fast.

Annoyingly sitting midfielders like Busquets continue to make darting runs when you pass with them. Just let the players hold their positions FFS.

AI scoring more varied goals than last year, so that's a plus point.

Still not seeing enough variation in the keepers(they have improved them however), saves seem to be limited enough, as they are in FIFA last time I played 15/14/13. Really feel goalkeepers should have more identity than they have in these games.

• Advertisement

What button is for protecting the ball with your body? I'm holding l1 as i receive a pass facing away from goal and the defenders always just put their foot through me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Went searching on the Playstation store but can't find the demo.

ntot9vD.jpg

Search for Pro Evolution Soccer

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

One thing I'm liking is that the computer actually fouls you in this edition with clumsy slide tackles etc. and the ref will dish out a yellow. Not exactly innovative but long overdue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

shamtastic wrote: »
    One thing I'm liking is that the computer actually fouls you in this edition with clumsy slide tackles etc. and the ref will dish out a yellow. Not exactly innovative but long overdue.

yeah hated that in PES16... Free stats at the end of games is something like 10 to me 1 to the CPU, and usually that'd be an offside.

I mentioned earlier how it was good that the defensive AI seemed to make mistakes in terms of intercepting through balls due to poorly timed interceptions, but it seems it is a little too easy to play a through ball and go one on one.

On a good note, one on ones have greatly improved, last year if you were in the box, it was a definite goal, just press square and it would go through the keeper, be it Neuer or some goalkeeper from Haiti or Bolivia. Now these goals seem rewarding and the feeling when it hits the net makes goalscoring so much more enjoyable. This basically puts it on a different stratosphere to PES16 which I feel while having many addictive elements, the scoring was a game ruiner imo.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

Finally just managed to play a good few games of the demo there. So far, it doesn't play tremendously different from the last one. It just has subtle improvements.

The goalkeepers have improved a lot which was, of course, badly needed.
    The defence stick to you like glue (in the box especially) giving you little or now time to get the shot away. I felt that PES 2016 was way too easy for me at times (playing on Superstar with full manual) and normally I can never say that.

One of the key things though that they fixed, and I'm surprised nobody else mentioned this about PES 2016, was how frequent you could intercept an opponent's short free kick (or even short goal kick) so close to their goal, and then go on to score. It was actually quite embarrassing really. Such a glaring flaw! It seems fixed now though thankfully.

Over all, I definitely like it more than the last (as I expected I would). Had a cracking match beating Atletico 3-2 with Arsenal on Top Player difficulty. Then I went on to lose 1-0 to Barcelona after having Coquelin sent off (or was it Chamberlain? I think it was Coquelin though). The temptation to make slide tackles is still far greater in these last two games than anything I've seen previously, and this is coming from someone who used avoid the slide tackle button like the plague!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

I have been playing the demo for the last couple of days. I really like it.
    The game dynamics are great and the ball moves the way it should. The keeper are a big upgrade, shooting is pretty good too.

Roll on September for release :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Loads of dirty tackles from the AI, love it. Blowing them out of it as well and sometimes getting away without a card.

Feels so tactical, I'm playing on professional level and have to work hard to create half chances, only got one clear though-on-goal chance so far. Enjoyable though. Big difference from 2015 so will take a while to get used to.

I'm finding that I'm having great success with the teams who play 4231(playing one cm and one dm) and have a big guy up top. Playing as Arsenal and Germany I've won more games than with barca. I'd love to be able to try out a few different set ups so the next 2 weeks are going to be long

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

shamtastic wrote: »

Does the computer try long shots? It also seems to be about trying to work it into the box, only time the CPU tries a long shot is a rebound from a corner.

Advertisement