Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PES 2017 - Thoughts & Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Loving the demo so far. Just a tad smoother.

The option file is a big plus this year too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Is it just me or is it impossible to get around CPU without them fouling ye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Is it just me or is it impossible to get around CPU without them fouling ye
    I can get around them alright, permitting that I'm using the appropriate players to try and do so (e.g. Messi, Sanchez, Griezmann, etc.). That said though, it's much harder to do so by simply just dribbling past them like you could in PES 2016. It actually requires a bit of variety to beat the defender now, which is such a major plus in terms of making it a bit more challenging.

I'm now holding off defender with my back to goal and turning them with speed when I got the chance, as well as using skill moves and close control (R2) more when you're dribbling towards them; never would've done this last year. It's good that you will also mostly fail when trying to run by defenders with your finger slammed firmly on R1, you have to use sprint smartly like as a turn of pace and gaining an extra yard on the defender.
    If I'm being crowded out also it's always just best to pass it out or switch play and find space in other areas as opposed to trying to take that on, because you'd nearly be guaranteed to lose the ball unless you do something really special with Messi or knock the ball out through the crowd (using R1 x2) with Paul Pogba then use his strength to get past. Even doing that is difficult.

But in plenty of instances when you do beat the defender you will get fouled on the way through. Given that such fouls were something totally lacking from the previous editions, I totally welcome it, they're long overdue. They're also fairly real to life also; if you beat a defender in an area of danger it's likely that they will either miss their challenge or intentionally bring you down to halt your attack.
    In such instances though, I would only get fouled around a third of the time.

Great post. I'm just wondering is there a particular button to press to keep your recieving player between ball and defender, say when facing away from goal? I remember it used to be something like hold sprint without direction when recieving, one of the top buttons. I thought it might be just face away from them but when I do that the defender just comes right through me. Same with lofted balls, defender always just rips through my player.

Any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

QikBax wrote: »
    The option file is a big plus this year too.

What's the craic with the option file?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Pretty much agree with what Nailz has said above from the one game I've played so far.

My first thought after playing it is that control is much more important this year, which suits me down to the ground!
    The players with a bit of skill will be rewarded.

Also, I saw a lot of mention of goals, 'feeling more like goals' or that 'the ball goes into the net more realistically' - I've noticed no difference whatsoever in that regard.

Finally, goalkeepers have definitely been improved in terms of their general play but, more specifically, their distribution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,110 ✭✭✭Colemania

Great post. I'm just wondering is there a particular button to press to keep your recieving player between ball and defender, say when facing away from goal? I remember it used to be something like hold sprint without direction when recieving, one of the top buttons. I thought it might be just face away from them but when I do that the defender just comes right through me. Same with lofted balls, defender always just rips through my player.

Any thoughts?

I always just manually position my player in front of the other player, no real mechanics to it. I've been trying to master the flick over the head skill (not rainbow flick) in the demo. All you do is click in the right analog stick as you receive the ball and if there's a player directly in front of you or behind you as you receive it, the player should attempt to flick it over their head. When it comes off, it looks class! Most of the time though the ball just hits off the opposing players head.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭BabyE

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Pretty much agree with what Nailz has said above from the one game I've played so far.

My first thought after playing it is that control is much more important this year, which suits me down to the ground!
    The players with a bit of skill will be rewarded.

Also, I saw a lot of mention of goals, 'feeling more like goals' or that 'the ball goes into the net more realistically' - I've noticed no difference whatsoever in that regard.

Finally, goalkeepers have definitely been improved in terms of their general play but, more specifically, their distribution.
    Do you still think goals are **** then?

BabyE wrote: »
    Do you still think goals are **** then?

No. PES16 is the best football game to date.
    The goals are great.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Can't say for certain how I go about it because it's almost like muscle memory at this stage and I don't have the game in front of me to test it out. But I think I would pretty much do the same as you in those situations from what I remember. If my CF was receiving a pass from midfield with his back to goal I would run onto it and go a yard in the opposite direction with the ball and then tap R1 to stop the ball, I don't hold the sprint button until after I escape with the ball.

While holding off I would either not press push in any direction at all or I would hold the left analog stick in the direction of the defender and that seems to make the attacker push into the defender so he doesn't come through you so easily. You will only have about a second or two to use the ball so don't get comfortable holding off like that; your player will either turn the ball right into the defender, or the defended will push you off.
    If you are pushing against the defender ease your left stick away from him in the direction you'd like to turn and your attacker will hopefully bring the ball through. Push R1 then to speed away and make space. I'd say Physical and Ball Control stats are fairly important for this, but I never really paid much attention.

I might make a video later on to demonstrate what I'm talking about if it would be helpful. I'm trying to start utilising my Share button a bit more! :)

• Advertisement

Colemania wrote: »

Any thoughts?

I always just manually position my player in front of the other player, no real mechanics to it. I've been trying to master the flick over the head skill (not rainbow flick) in the demo. All you do is click in the right analog stick as you receive the ball and if there's a player directly in front of you or behind you as you receive it, the player should attempt to flick it over their head. When it comes off, it looks class! Most of the time though the ball just hits off the opposing players head.....
    I've being doing the little flick over the head loads in this demo, it's so satisfying, mainly because it doesn't always work. Scored a brilliant goal with Suarez using that, volleyed it into the corner from inside the D as the ball came down.

Nailz wrote: »
    I've being doing the little flick over the head loads in this demo, it's so satisfying, mainly because it doesn't always work. Scored a brilliant goal with Suarez using that, volleyed it into the corner from inside the D as the ball come back down.

I executed a nice flick with the river plate right back, who I was playing right mid. The ball was cleared from a header and i ran on to the ball and tapped the right analog and he tapped it over your man's head and i smacked a volley inches wide of the far post. Have you tried it with neymar? Every skill looks even more impressive with him ha

I executed a nice flick with the river plate right back, who I was playing right mid. The ball was cleared from a header and i ran on to the ball and tapped the right analog and he tapped it over your man's head and i smacked a volley inches wide of the far post. Have you tried it with neymar? Every skill looks even more impressive with him ha
    I haven't actually, although I will tonight :pac: That's true though, every time I have Neymar on the ball I rarely pass and just try to wiggle my way into the box, dribbling is very satisfying with him.

The thing about this year's game which I find so excellent is that it is starting to replicate the total unpredictability and accuracy of how the actual sport is played IRL. Aside from all their highly realistic traits in both camps, the lack of this level of unpredictability is what made old PES' and FIFA's feel inauthentic from the real thing.

And I don't just mean basic shooting variety, or lack of bookings and fouls from the A.I. (where PES 2016 notoriously failed), I mean things like this:

Carrasco tried this against me when I was playing as Boca and I was sickened I didn't capture this for myself.

One of TheMidniteKid's mates from PES Universe, TheTrueBrits, in his first hands-on video with the demo showed the A.I. attempting a dive with Neymar and getting booked for it, never experienced that from the CPU from all my hours playing 2016! [see 11:35-12:07]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Which team has been people's favorite side to use in the demo? I was full sure it would be barca but I've played some really nice stuff with arsenal and the 4231(1 cm and 1 dm), using attacking full backs, hug the touchline and deep defending instructions.

I've found barca kinda handy enough to beat on superstar difficulty but Germany are very difficult to break down.

Konami still havent got the handle on deflections

Starting to get the hang of it, like old pes. Defending is perfect, im still not so great going forward but Im on full manual. Playing on Professional and it seems to be my level in this one atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Are referees still pathetic in this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

callaway92 wrote: »
    Are referees still pathetic in this?

No theyre much better. I'm committing a lot more fouls than before (but it's deserved) and I'm getting kids more free kicks.

It seems like they've finally struck the balance perfectly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No theyre much better. I'm committing a lot more fouls than before (but it's deserved) and I'm getting kids more free kicks.

It seems like they've finally struck the balance perfectly.

Do they give red cards now? haha

One poor aspect persisting, that is, the awful cat like jump and catch the goalkeepers do, looks ****ing shocking, but it's not a game changer, and some of the saves look alright. I don't think FIFA's saving animations are good either(least they weren't in 15)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

callaway92 wrote: »
    Do they give red cards now? haha

I've gotten one straight red for a horror Pique tackle! Was pretty awful! They're very happy to play on and come back and book fouls after too.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

I've played at least 30 games of this now. I love it. Can't wait until the full version comes out.

I've only recently started using the Advanced Tactics and the one to keep the width is brilliant. For some reason Boca play incredibly narrow and leaves so much space for the wingers when I play as River.

I only saw recently that you can take your shirt off as a celebration, with a warning that you'll be booked. Only saw this for Neymar so far but I'm sure others have it.

I think others have said this but you really feel you've earned a goal, not much comes easy, well for me anyway.

The amount of times I try to dribble past someone or in a crowded area but get tackled and I immediately curse the game but then realise that no one could ever get through there in real life.

The weight of the ball really does feel great, everything has a thud to it.

I'm sure I'll find annoying things about the game but I don't expect perfection, I want something I can enjoy and after every single game I feel like playing another because there doesn't seem to be a set pattern for every game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,496 ✭✭✭tigger123

Game feels good but what have they done woth free kicks? How can you curl or whip your shot?!

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Game feels good but what have they done woth free kicks? How can you curl or whip your shot?!

free kicks are perfect, its like there's this invisible g-spot you hit between power and how long you hold anolog down (after having curled the direction when setting it up)

feelsgoodman

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 8,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wilberto

free kicks are perfect, its like there's this invisible g-spot you hit between power and how long you hold anolog down (after having curled the direction when setting it up)

feelsgoodman

That's a perfect analogy for me, because I can never find it.

:pac:

First gane ruiner, way too easy to round goalkeeper, they run out and then seem to forget what they came out for

• Registered Users Posts: 29 TheMidnitekid

Good to see a lot of positive comments on the thread, the game is far superior than last years the more you play. myClub will be the real test for online players though, see if Konami can nail that and with the added legends, we could have a serious game. I love the physicality the most, AI actually butcher you when behind etc.

Have any of you pre-ordered?

Good to see a lot of positive comments on the thread, the game is far superior than last years the more you play. myClub will be the real test for online players though, see if Konami can nail that and with the added legends, we could have a serious game. I love the physicality the most, AI actually butcher you when behind etc.

Have any of you pre-ordered?

Have it pre ordered on the xbox store. Can't wait for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 TheMidnitekid

Have it pre ordered on the xbox store. Can't wait for it!

Real shame you xbox guys can't get the option files, big strides made this year on PS4. Although in game editing has improved enough to the point where you can make the kits look good on xbox

Advertisement