Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Importing motorbike from Usa

• 23-05-2016 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3 Tom1966

I have access to a container coming from America in august, my brother is returning to live in Ireland after 8 years in America and bringing home all his household items, I was thinking of getting him to pick me up a secondhand Yamaha V Star (dragstar)650cc or Honda shadow 750cc. Was wondering is it worth it or could he bring it in and keep it registered in his name for a while ? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I think, but you need to confirm, that he would need to have it at least 6 months before coming here, otherwise he is liable for VRT on the import of the bike.

Might cost you more than you could save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Paulw wrote: »
    I think, but you need to confirm, that he would need to have it at least 6 months before coming here, otherwise he is liable for VRT on the import of the bike.

Might cost you more than you could save.

Confirmed the vehicle needs to have been owned for 6 months before they can get the VRT exemption. Because of that they'll also be liable for the shipping costs, not sure how they'd break down the bike from the rest of the container cost, which will then get import duty and VAT added.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tom1966

The bike will not have been taxed or insured in the states by my brother so probably will have to pay all the import duty and vrt so maybe not worth it . have made enquiries with revenue and said roughly you can add 30% onto invoice price.Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...would be worth bringing in something you can't get here, though. I've been 'shopping' for a DR200 stateside lately.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I have limited knowledge, but if I was importing a cruiser from the states, I'd go with a Harley. Even if you didn't like it, you'd probably get a decent price for it here. Huge selection in most cities too, you might find something a bit different too.

Here's a completely random cities craiglists page of Harleys:
    https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/search/mcy?auto_make_model=harley

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

More complicated than importing an EU moto but if the price is right ...
    You'll also need to consider Certificate of Compliance, VAT on retail value and an extra form filling element with customs; a SID, Standard Import Declaration? I'm not certain I've that name correct. It's worth checking details with a call to Customs first.
    If there's space for a DR650 let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

galwaytt wrote: »
    ...would be worth bringing in something you can't get here, though. I've been 'shopping' for a DR200 stateside lately.

I've seen a couple of DR200\DR250s for sale in IRL over the past 6 months or so. The usual sites, DD or Adverts I think. They're rare but do turn up. Any luck in UK or France?

The VRT on bikes is nothing, it will probably be 50 quid if the bike is 10 years old.

Problem I can see is the VAT you may have to pay on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Tom1966

Have spent good while checking prices out and it not looking like I will save much at all .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The VRT on bikes is nothing, it will probably be 50 quid if the bike is 10 years old.

Import duty would also have to be paid as the bike is coming from outside the EU. Import duty is charged on the total cost of buying and shipping and IIRC then they ad the VAT.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Shtick it between two mattresses in the container and keep sthumbiggrin.png

Advertisement