Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get a wooden floor?

Options
  • 23-05-2016 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭

Years ago it seemed you could get real wooden floors in loads of places but suppliers seem to have radically dwindled and laminates are where it's at in Galway shops.
    Has anyone found a good shop or supplier of wood floors?

I suppose lack of suppliers and choice in these sort of things are what we can expect in a small enough city after a recession. I hadn't noticed that options had got so limited here at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Poco90

There is a crowd in liosban, called wood plus I think, never used them. Try any of the bigger hardware stores. I got a wooden floor from JP Corry's.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Why restrict yourself to Galway suppliers? There are suppliers around the country if you search online. Another place to find them is at the likes of ideal homes shows.

I would think real wood floors are a bit niche these days. So I wouldn't expect to get a competitive supplier at a local level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

There is (or used to be at least) a place near Spideal. Also try Moycullen (cant think of either name for either business at the mo but will update when it cones to me...)

Have you tried hardware stores?

McDonagh's for instance or even head out to Joyces in Headford?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Give Tom Dempsey a look (out by the Maldron hotel in Oranmore), I got an engineered wood floor off them last year, very happy with it. They had a good selection, from cheap laminate to expensive stuff, not sure if they had actual 100% wooden floors though, but some of the engineered is worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Thanks very much everyone, I hadn't thought of a few of these places and I will check them all out. Any other suggestions or recommendations welcome too if you have them.
    ScumLord wrote: »
    Why restrict yourself to Galway suppliers? There are suppliers around the country if you search online. Another place to find them is at the likes of ideal homes shows.

I would think real wood floors are a bit niche these days. So I wouldn't expect to get a competitive supplier at a local level.

Ideally I'd like to try outside of Galway but I'm restricted in terms of travelling right now, so local probably will have to do. I looked up the recent House exhibition show in the RDS and they only had 2 or 3 shops exhibiting for wood flooring for the whole country. Maybe they've seriously fallen out of vogue or wood flooring is WAY more expensive that I'd anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ideally I'd like to try outside of Galway but I'm restricted in terms of travelling right now, so local probably will have to do. I looked up the recent House exhibition show in the RDS and they only had 2 or 3 shops exhibiting for wood flooring for the whole country. Maybe they've seriously fallen out of vogue or wood flooring is WAY more expensive that I'd anticipated.
    I wouldn't restrict yourself at this stage. Find out all the national suppliers, get the prices, see what they're delivery options are.

Real wood flooring is a bit niche at this stage, it's expensive to begin with and a lack of interest just makes it even more expensive. The upshot of that is that companies are probably thinking nationally rather than just focusing on their local area, they may have to if they're dealing with a niche product. They may have decent delivery options because of that national outlook.

Dont' over look the north either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

I just happened to be browsing the website of an architectural salvage yard in Oranmore and noticed they have solid wood flooring (new and reclaimed): http://baileygibson.ie/product-category/flooring/.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

We often machine it , esp teak(iroko) and any available native woods. Most other finished wood types are easily sourced.

• Advertisement

galwayrush wrote: »
    We often machine it , esp teak(iroko) and any available native woods. Most other finished wood types are easily sourced.

Who is "we" Galway Rush? Where are the available to see or buy?

I just happened to be browsing the website of an architectural salvage yard in Oranmore and noticed they have solid wood flooring (new and reclaimed): http://baileygibson.ie/product-category/flooring/.

Thats a pretty cool site, I just wish I needed a fireplace now, there's a pretty one there for someone. :)
    I'm going to bookmark, interesting little find, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Who is "we" Galway Rush? Where are the available to see or buy?

Small Joinery , made to order only. Most common products can be sourced 'off the shelf' and rarer products machined to order.

Advertisement