Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wall panelling

• 23-05-2016 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for a bit of advice. I'm going to take on to apply wall panelling to one of my bedrooms.

So my plan was to use 9mm mdf for the panels and then inside the panels use a panel moulding. On top I'd like to use a type (or couple of types) of chair rail.

Can you tell me what the best type of panel moulding is for the inside of the mdf?

Apologies for the lack of carpentry terminology. This is very new to me!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,526 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Have u a link to something that it might look like?
    Whats the end game plan here?
    How are you fixing the mdf to the walls : concealed wires, pipes
    If fitting to an outside corner, you run the risk of mould behind it
    Whats the external wall construction?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭AlisonB

Thanks for reply - I haven attached image which I would like to replicate

House is passive so external walls are two 100mm solid blocks with 150mm insulation in between. There is also plasterboard on inside of external walls

If you google wainscoting and look at the images..
    Way beyond my pay grade but at least we now know what you want.

The one cautionary note is that you cannot afford to have the vapour barrier (vb) which is behind the external wall plasterboard (pb) punctured.
    Ditto if taking off skirting board.
    There may be a services cavity behind the pb and the vb is behind it, with 25mm or 50mm timber battens creating the services void.
    take off a socket and see, having cut the power of course first

If the cavity is there then find the timber battens and fix the wainscotting to them..
    What are the internal walls?

Have fun:D

Thanks a mil the internal walls are much the same, but to my knowledge the plaster board is thinner. There seems to be a small cavity between the pb and the block work as I could feel the cavity when drilling the curtain rail poles. So basically I just need to use a stud finder and use that to find the battens ?

Won't be taking off the skirting as I deliberately choose skirting with flat edge that Mdf could sit on top

AlisonB wrote: »
    Thanks a mil the internal walls are much the same, but to my knowledge the plaster board is thinner. There seems to be a small cavity between the pb and the block work as I could feel the cavity when drilling the curtain rail poles. So basically I just need to use a stud finder and use that to find the battens ?

Won't be taking off the skirting as I deliberately choose skirting with flat edge that Mdf could sit on top

:eek: in a passiv haus

You should think about putting some sealant in this holes, not silcone or tec seven, but a product like orcon, will send u a pm, take out the screws for the curtains vacuum out the hole and then shove in some orcin and refit screws, it never sets.

The issue is moisture vapour ingress as opposed to just the airtightness layer being punctured

• Advertisement

Great pm received thanks a mil

Happy to help, just one last point: mdf is not a material that is easily machined, safely, by amateurs, the dust is very very fine, toxic and possibly carcinogenic, so if it is a DIY install, consider getting the mdf cut to size professional, and then vacuum it yourself before use.

The booh hoo brigade might think its overkill....

Advertisement