Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Charles visiting donegal

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    I don't subscribe to Sky nor do i enter the north to go Shopping , not out of principal i just don't , I was born and brought up in the UK I have many things to be thankful to it for, but the Royal Family is not one of them.

Again I will reiterate I am not Anti-British but I don't agree with the money spent on today's visit nor the visit itself due to Charlies deep connections with the Parachute regiment.

When the day comes that there is a United Ireland then and only then should we be inviting these parasites over , id much rather have David Cameron at least he was elected .

His visit was at his own request. The government or no one else actually invited him. Do you honestly believe that the government/dept of foreign affairs are going to refuse the visit citing 'cost or expense'?

Yes it was very costly but which would be better for Ireland, a budget security operation which resulted in a security scare and international embarrassment or pay the money to ensure the safety of one of the most recognised Royal figures (possibly in the world)? Can you imagine how damaging it would be to Ireland if there had been some form of attack on the visit??? Common sense prevailed in this instance, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Pretty sure it's a lad in a blonde wig on the left holding the sign...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

enzo roco wrote: »
    I would never sing any ridiculous song about being anti-British. Because I have no reason to hate a whole country or their royalty.

Youre British, and you feel their spongers, ok, then maybe you should protest about them in Britain.
    The Scottish independence vote is none of my business, you vote whatever way you want.

You mention the murder of 14 people. Well obviously that was awful. But both sides have done such stupid things. Omagh was so stupid and horrible. What did it achieve?
    There are stupid people on both sides that have done such horrible things to eachother. Its time to cop on and show a little respect to one another.
    The women saying brits out today, and in July you'll have some clowns in Northern Ireland burning an Irish flag. This crap will not stop unless we all grow up and stop hatting eachother.

The women deserve to be called silly. They have brought embarrassment to their town

First of all I'm not British, but thanks for putting that tag on to me , Both My Parents are Irish and I have an Irish Passport and I am an Irish citizen .. would you say James Connolly was British too ?

Again I never said I hate a whole country and being Irish Republican does not mean this.

Omagh was an awful atrocity but the Irish Government or (head of state) didn't give the perpetrators medals and deny it was a crime for nearly 40 years. It wasn't a state sponsored massacre anyway it was a tiny splinter group making a horrible evil mistake. Id be against anyone involved in the Omagh bomb being asked to a neighboring town for a civic reception too.

I don't even hate Charles, he comes across a bit gormless but nothing to hate there, I dislike the institution he was born into and I am against that our country (That's Ireland I'm on about BTW) is divided and part of it is ruled by his family and government and eejits like whom you mentioned who burn our flag every year despite the orange on it representing them. eejits who are brainwashed by religious bigots who are meant to be leading them .

Anyway I've said enough im on to a losing battle here, Irish Republicanism takes a battering on boards at the best of times, the things said about these girls is IMO wrong but I for one say fair play to them at least they made a stand , god knows how much Letterkenny businesses lost out on today and I heard tons of people complaining about it but doing nothing , at least those two young girls went out and made a stand , and god forbid one of them wore a Celtic top eh , at least they don't have the blood of 14 Derry men and youths on their hands .

overshoot wrote: »
    tbh looking at the pictures they were struggling to stand...

are you saying they were drunk do you have proof of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

are you saying they were drunk do you have proof of that?

na just a general observation from the pic in the thread. Sure its clearly a water bottle shes holding....

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »

That newspaper could start with getting the name of the football team right for a start, there's no such team called Glasgow Celtic

• Registered Users Posts: 15,962 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Isn't is something else that a Royal visit to Donegal has only 37 posts. Most about the setup muppets or whatever they are. LOL.

We have moved on, thankfully.

na just a general observation from the pic in the thread. Sure its clearly a water bottle shes holding....

yeah just like all the other observations on this thread hinting or joking that one is a man in a wig, one is an eejit, they should be arrested for their dress sense they are shaming their town .. etc etc

A nice way to talk about a couple of girls from the county.

Just two girls protesting is all I see anything else is conjecture, there was a decent protest in Letterkenny today but not seeing much media coverage about that, no doubt if/when there is coverage then the people at that will get their share of personal abuse from all the high n mighty's on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

NIMAN wrote: »

Embarrassing indeed. They are like the pair out of Absolutely Fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Right lads, you all know the topic here so please stick to it.

Alternatively the politics and history forums are that way

>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

yeah just like all the other observations on this thread hinting or joking that one is a man in a wig, one is an eejit, they should be arrested for their dress sense they are shaming their town .. etc etc

Just two girls protesting is all I see anything else is conjecture, there was a decent protest in Letterkenny today but not seeing much media coverage about that, no doubt if/when there is coverage then the people at that will get their share of personal abuse from all the high n mighty's on here.

There was approx 30 people at KFC. No one paid them a blind bit of attention to them, those they were protesting about weren't even aware they were there. All in all a pointless and embarrassing exercise...and deservedly so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭enzo roco

First of all I'm not British, but thanks for putting that tag on to me , Both My Parents are Irish and I have an Irish Passport and I am an Irish citizen .. would you say James Connolly was British too ?

I agree with the rest of your post, but I wasnt tagging you. I was just saying youre British, as you said you voted in a British referendum, so I obviously guessed youre British. So you are Irish citizen but entitled to vote as you were born there. You be whatever you want to be.
    Also, I would say James Connolly was Irish, Irish-British, or Scottish-Irish, whichever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Them girls should know their place, standing up for what they believe in like that should be ashamed of themselves. And to do it peacefully too, the thought of it. I'm mortified for their mothers.

Just two girls protesting is all I see anything else is conjecture

Do you have proof of that? Surely thats just conjecture....

Joshua J wrote: »
    Them girls should know their place, standing up for what they believe in like that should be ashamed of themselves. And to do it peacefully too, the thought of it. I'm mortified for their mothers.
    Im all for peaceful protests but do it in a way that you can convey your point. I would imaging we have heard less of the LK protest as it had a bit more decorum. You will rightly be ridiculed if you sit on a wall drinking out of finches bottles and when asked, you cant give more than...
    When Mr Defoe asked one of the protestors why they felt so strongly about the Royal visit, she asked him to "shove it up your hole".

While I have as much interest in any monarchy as the Kardashians and think theyre as outdated as.... er... swords? Donegal has been featured on rte, bbc etc. Id imagine the policing hours was well covered in the value of air time the area received.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭liamos43

Special message for ORANBHOY67 - lets do the sums. Quite possible 5000 tourists could holiday in Co Donegal as a result of today. If they spent E500 each that would equate to E2.5 million - not bad revenue in these difficult times Mr Bhoy

Im all for peaceful protests but do it in a way that you can convey your point. I would imaging we have heard less of the LK protest as it had a bit more decorum. You will rightly be ridiculed if you sit on a wall drinking out of finches bottles and when asked, you cant give more than...

While I have as much interest in any monarchy as the Kardashians and think theyre as outdated as.... er... swords? Donegal has been featured on rte, bbc etc. Id imagine the policing hours was well covered in the value of air time the area received.
    Sorry bud you don't get to choose how or when people protest. What you're doing is creating an environment where you and others like you ridicule people who stand up for what they believe in because you don't. If you think you live in a perfect world where nothing is worth protesting about then you're divorced from reality. If you think there are things to protest about then don't ridicule those who do just because you don't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

Do you have proof of that? Surely thats just conjecture....

What proof do you want? The two of them are from the town actually I see them every week and know where they live, is that enough proof?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

I think what most people here are taking issue with is the manner of this particular protest. Can anyone look at that picture and tell me what exactly they were trying to achieve? Why they're protesting his visit? Brits out, Donegal shamed. All right, but why? No one is going to give a **** about a protest if the protestors can't get a decent point across. I understand why they'd have a problem with the visit, but is an outside observer going to see anything other than a couple of people with incoherent messages?

I think what most people here are taking issue with is the manner of this particular protest. Can anyone look at that picture and tell me what exactly they were trying to achieve? Why they're protesting his visit? Brits out, Donegal shamed. All right, but why? No one is going to give a **** about a protest if the protestors can't get a decent point across. I understand why they'd have a problem with the visit, but is an outside observer going to see anything other than a couple of people with incoherent messages?
    Then leave them at it I say. There's no FETAC course in protesting or books you can read about it so they just went out and said their piece. If more people were willing to stand up for what they believe in the world would be a better place. But as soon as someone raises their head above the parapet there's snipers taking shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Do they not like tourists from Britain?

Maldesu wrote: »
    Do they not like tourists from Britain?
    To quote your good self:

:rolleyes:
    FFS

To quote your good self:

:rolleyes:
    FFS

So, should I tell my British cousins not to come over and spend money in the region? :)
    Do you think the Brits will return the favour in London?

So, should I tell my British cousins not to come over and spend money in the region? :)
    Do you think the Brits will return the favour in London?
    Tell them what you like no skin off my nose. Just like the protest.

Sorry bud you don't get to choose how or when people protest. What you're doing is creating an environment where you and others like you ridicule people who stand up for what they believe in because you don't. If you think you live in a perfect world where nothing is worth protesting about then you're divorced from reality. If you think there are things to protest about then don't ridicule those who do just because you don't agree.
    er where now did I say theyre not entitled to protest? I said if your going to protest put forward an argument, not tell a reporter to "shove it up your hole". Was this not an opportunity to remind the world of Charles ties to the regiment involved in Bloody Sunday? How is a few generic "Brits Out" signs going to do that?
    schizo1014 wrote: »
    What proof do you want? The two of them are from the town actually I see them every week and know where they live, is that enough proof?
    I am aware, and been told by friends they were not exactly sober either, thus regurgitating his line to me. May be mistaken but guessed from previous posts Oran is LK direction so when he is having a go for conjecture....

er where now did I say theyre not entitled to protest? I said if your going to protest put forward an argument, not tell a reporter to "shove it up your hole". Was this not an opportunity to remind the world of Charles ties to the regiment involved in Bloody Sunday? How is a few generic "Brits Out" signs going to do that?
    Because you and the rest of us knew what they meant, you've even said it yourself for gods sake. It's just people feigning ignorance to have a pop at them cause they dared to protest. I'd have told that reporter to shove it too was only there to do the same. But as I said your just feigning ignorance it's just a veneer to hide your true intentions.

Because you and the rest of us knew what they meant, you've even said it yourself for gods sake. It's just people feigning ignorance to have a pop at them cause they dared to protest. I'd have told that reporter to shove it too was only there to do the same. But as I said your just feigning ignorance it's just a veneer to hide your true intentions.
    which are?

which are?
    To disparage protesters and discourage protest which you don't agree with.

Tell them what you like no skin off my nose. Just like the protest.

Sure, I'll just tell them that there are vague protestation against them as a nation in general. It may or may not be tourism related.

With that sign it could have been about anything.

I am aware, and been told by friends they were not exactly sober either, thus regurgitating his line to me. May be mistaken but guessed from previous posts Oran is LK direction so when he is having a go for conjecture....[/QUOTE]

They were indeed locked, according to my friend who was there and apparently started the previous day, which is perhaps why the signs were minimalist.

• Advertisement

Sure, I'll just tell them that there are vague protestation against them as a nation in general. It may or may not be tourism related.

If they're British they'll know what they were protesting about. If they don't you'd do well to buy them a history book.

Advertisement