Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prince Charles visiting donegal

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Joshua J wrote: »
    If they're British they'll know what they were protesting about. If they don't you'd do well to buy them a history book.

So, a couple hundred years of history then. Not sure one book will cover that but grand so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Maldesu wrote: »
    So, a couple hundred years of history then. Not sure one book will cover that but grand so.
    Big centenary this year they could start there. If they care that is and not just trying to be obtuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,101 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Thats it lads. No more warnings as Im not wasting my time any longer on this. I told you all before there would be no politics or history posted here but you all persisted.

The next off topic post gets the thread locked and possibly more sanctions for that poster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭oranbhoy67

liamos43 wrote: »
    Special message for ORANBHOY67 - lets do the sums. Quite possible 5000 tourists could holiday in Co Donegal as a result of today. If they spent E500 each that would equate to E2.5 million - not bad revenue in these difficult times Mr Bhoy

where do you get the stats that 5000 people will decide to come to Donegal Because of Charles visiting ?? you have plucked that number from nowhere and therefore I cant argue with it .

There was approx 30 people at KFC. No one paid them a blind bit of attention to them, those they were protesting about weren't even aware they were there. All in all a pointless and embarrassing exercise...and deservedly so.

wrong, i was there , there was at least 100, not in this photo though as it was near the start , a disappointing enough crowd Id agree but the article backs me up with the crowd numbers.

It was held in a peaceful manner with one guy singing a protest song "we shall overcome" when Charles arrived , but the press won't cover that as it doesn't fit their agenda

And no I wasn't wearing my Celtic top & I'm teetotal before anyone asks :)

http://www.donegalnow.com/news/crowd-protests-royal-visit/93659

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭sirboby

So anyone know the cost to us for all those gardaí, I saw them go through Ballybofey today, And i didn't even know we had that much gards in and around donegal, and he just drove through the town, he dident even stop!

Surely our taxes have somewhere better to go than a princes holiday?

All the extra gards were drafted in from outside town , there was loads in the clanree staying last night.
    I'm also wondering about all the businesses that were closed off on the Port Rd today, would they receive compensation for the lack of buisness?

Also, this is a guess but Letterkenny was dead today as people were obviously avoiding the town and I'm guessing takings must have been well down but again just a guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭overshoot

Joshua J wrote: »
    To disparage protesters and discourage protest which you don't agree with.
    quote me once where I said they or anyone else isnt entitled to protest.
    I merely said they should argue their point a la the LK protest, not tell a reporter to shove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

sirboby wrote: »
    Surely our taxes have somewhere better to go than a princes holiday?

Do you not think that his visit has any value? He has brought attention a boarder county that rarely gets any attention from it's own capital. A lot of Ireland was talking about it and no doubt parts of the UK. Donegal is heavily reliant on tourism and this does put a spotlight on it.

oranbhoy67 wrote: »

Also, this is a guess but Letterkenny was dead today as people were obviously avoiding the town and I'm guessing takings must have been well down but again just a guess.

Mount Errigal wasn't anyway.

Maldesu wrote: »
    Do you not think that his visit has any value? He has brought attention a boarder county that rarely gets any attention from it's own capital. A lot of Ireland was talking about it and no doubt parts of the UK. Donegal is heavily reliant on tourism and this does put a spotlight on it.

Mount Errigal wasn't anyway.

its not even on the top 12 news stories on the RTE homepage on Irish news http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/

Id say the BBC cares even less.

Im sure the mount errigal was busy as was the clanree with all the Gards staying there.Paid for by the state .

erwins electrical & heiton Buckley etc must've took a big hit today, not to mention the main street area was definitely a lot quieter than usual .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm sure having a sign saying BRITS OUT isn't very welcoming to tourists from that part of the world.

We are starting to thrive with visitors in this country, and Donegal can ill afford to be making the place less welcoming for them.

Who exactly are the BRITS this girl wants out? She is in Donegal, the 'BRITS' aren't in it, but I assume she is referring to NI in her claim?

Perhaps if she had a sign aimed more at the British monarchy not being welcome as opposed to all British people.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭liamos43

Message to Oranbhoy67 - what are gards ?.....I know what gardai are and also guards but......you must have been out on protests when spelling was done by nthe teacher...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

oranbhoy67 wrote: »
    wrong, i was there , there was at least 100, not in this photo though as it was near the start , a disappointing enough crowd Id agree but the article backs me up with the crowd numbers.

It was held in a peaceful manner with one guy singing a protest song "we shall overcome" when Charles arrived , but the press won't cover that as it doesn't fit their agenda

And no I wasn't wearing my Celtic top & I'm teetotal before anyone asks :)

http://www.donegalnow.com/news/crowd-protests-royal-visit/93659

'we shall overcome' ??? Overcome what? The embarrassment of being part of a slightly pathetic protest? Considering the road was closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic, the barriers were too far from the IT for those the protest was aimed at to actually see, who was the protest for or aimed at?

And on the topic of the two 'girls' in the photo, the one in the Celtic jersey is a male in a wig...such was his willingness to show his republican/anti-Royal side that he disguised himself for fear of being ridiculed for his ridiculous protest.

'we shall overcome' ??? Overcome what? The embarrassment of being part of a slightly pathetic protest? Considering the road was closed to vehicular and pedestrian traffic, the barriers were too far from the IT for those the protest was aimed at to actually see, who was the protest for or aimed at?

And on the topic of the two 'girls' in the photo, the one in the Celtic jersey is a male in a wig...such was his willingness to show his republican/anti-Royal side that he disguised himself for fear of being ridiculed for his ridiculous protest.

and on that note, im out .

• Registered Users Posts: 33,627 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I doubt very much she was a man, check out the 2nd photo in this link
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/banter/trending/donegal-shamed-prince-charles-and-camilla-greeted-by-two-solitary-protesters-in-donegal-town-34745702.html

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭schizo1014

No fault to you but the two of them are woman, its well known who they are but sure that wouldn't suit your agenda would it?

Advertisement