Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arranging Employment Prior to Emigrating to USA

Options
  • 23-05-2016 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

Apologies if this is not the correct forum, please feel free to move if necessary.

I am in the process of moving to the US (New York City) in the coming months and was looking for some advice on how to arrange employment before going.

My wife is American so visa isn't an issue and she is moving back in September. I'm in a really good job at the moment, so we're trying to figure out if I should go with her in September or try and wait out my contract which runs until February 2017.

Ideally i would like to move with her in September or any point thereafter, assuming visa etc. is ready, but i absolutely don't want to leave until i have a solid job lined up over there first, obviously don't want to leave a good job then wing it.

I was thinking about contacting recruitment agencies, normally i wouldn't deal with them, but i'd imagine it's a bit of a nightmare trying to organise a job and interview etc. from Ireland. I've found it surprisingly difficult to find a suitable agency though - mostly temping and the like. My area of work is finance.

I'm just wondering if anyone has gone through this before and may have some advice or tips on arranging employment prior to emigrating, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Hi Nick,

I'd be interested in hearing what people say regarding agencies in the U.S too.

Good luck with the move. Monster.com (not .ie) have loads of job postings for people with the proper papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

NickNY wrote: »
    Hi all,

Apologies if this is not the correct forum, please feel free to move if necessary.

I am in the process of moving to the US (New York City) in the coming months and was looking for some advice on how to arrange employment before going.

My wife is American so visa isn't an issue and she is moving back in September. I'm in a really good job at the moment, so we're trying to figure out if I should go with her in September or try and wait out my contract which runs until February 2017.

Ideally i would like to move with her in September or any point thereafter, assuming visa etc. is ready, but i absolutely don't want to leave until i have a solid job lined up over there first, obviously don't want to leave a good job then wing it.

I was thinking about contacting recruitment agencies, normally i wouldn't deal with them, but i'd imagine it's a bit of a nightmare trying to organise a job and interview etc. from Ireland. I've found it surprisingly difficult to find a suitable agency though - mostly temping and the like. My area of work is finance.

I'm just wondering if anyone has gone through this before and may have some advice or tips on arranging employment prior to emigrating, it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Nick

My wife is American too, while it's more or less a formality to get the visa, make sure you've got all your paperwork in order and have already started the visa application process. It takes ages....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Yes. visa takes 9 month-ish at this time from filing to interview, so if you haven't started yet, start asap. You then have up to 6 months to use it, if you are not ready to move immediately.

To your actual question- most employers will not talk to you until you have the right to work (ie greencard, or at least a visa approved). US employers are used to hiring people from far away with an initial Skype interview, and then a second, in-person interview, but even then, a foreign address on your resume (Irish cv) will put them off. Once your wife moves, and you have a concrete date for moving yourself, you might consider putting her US address on your resume.

Also be sure to read up on US resumes and how they are structured- it is quite different than in Ireland. I have found this website useful to get used to US employment practises: http://www.askamanager.org/

Advertisement