Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy climbing gear

Options
  • 23-05-2016 2:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi all I'm looking to buy some gear for an expedition I’m doing next year. Any reliably online stores
    and shops around Ireland and UK would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

What are you intending to do? High altitude trekking or climbing rock faces?

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭cobzzq

a bit of both

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jamfer

I was away in the Andes in January and spent the latter part of last year ticking off items from equipment lists. I bought from shops and online. The bigger ticket items I bought in shops and got lucky as I had time.

Online options I've found good are, sportpursuit.com can be good for merino tops and bottoms. Icebreaker and Helly Hansen can be quite well priced from there. Cotswoldoutdoors.co.uk give 15% discount to BMC members as does Snow and Rock. Decathlon is great too - decathlon.ie or they have a store in Belfast too. bergfreunde.co.uk / or .de is where I got ice axe / crampons / helmet and some icebreaker kit too - I paid less to buy my own items than the lads I traveled with had to pay to rent knackered stuff!

Getting high altitude boots in Ireland is next to near impossible. Cotswold Outdoors had Scarpa Vega boots that I tried but didn't find comfortable. Snow and Rock in Dundrum had Spantiks and they didn't work either. They also had Boreal boots. I ended up having to buy 3 pairs in different sizes and then return the ones I didn't like because they wouldn't get them delivered to store unless they were bought by a customer.

I got my sleeping bag in Great Outdoors - just happened to be in one day and they had a down bag. I always feel constricted in bags so being able to try it on was great.

Advertisement